Do you like to camp?

mungkiman

Someone once said that “A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.”

Given the above quote, was the author an “optimist” or was the author really somewhat bi-polar and thinks that things are better today (e.g., optimist) than they were in the past and worse today (e.g., pessimist) than they will be in the future?

I’m not sure I could define myself with a specific label since it would seem that any label I would give myself would only imply that I buy into a static, non-changing view of the world, which I don’t.   I’ve planted many trees where I know I would not be around to harvest any of the fruit. 

What does that make me?  It doesn’t really matter because I made my investment and while I may not be around to harvest the fruits, I also won’t be bothered with any additional capital calls, since I will be done.

From another perspective, I’m not necessarily pining away for the “old days” either; where “I walked five miles to school in the worst weather and survived just fine” and the days of where “men were men and……..” well you get the idea. 

In addition, what I seem to find with people is that when they put themselves into the “optimist” bucket they sometimes tend to fool themselves and start to confuse the way things currently are with the way things should be.  On the flip side, those that put themselves in the “pessimist” bucket sometimes seem to confuse the way things actually are with the way things can be.

Well, now I’m just rambling for no real intent or purpose other than I've gotten the chance to post today and now I should probably get on to the punch line and keep in form with the “glass of water” analogies.

Optimist: "The glass is half-full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half-empty."

Engineer: “That idiot is using the wrong size glass.”

Realist: "Yep. That's a glass, alright."

Idealist: "One day, cold-fusion from a glass of water will provide unlimited energy and end war."

Pragmatist: “I’m going to drink that water.”

Capitalist: "If I bottled this and gave it a New Age-sounding name, I could make a fortune."

Communist: "This drink belongs to every single one of us in equal measure."

Conspiracist: "The government is fluoridating the water for mind-control purposes."

Sexist: "This glass isn't gonna refill itself, honeybun..."

Misogynist: "Get over here and fill this glass now, *****"

Nihilist: "The glass does not exist, and neither do I."

Opportunist: "There's a funny t-shirt in here somewhere."

Masochist: “I’m going to break that glass and cut myself.”

I'm sure there are others to add to the list......

• Like 2

Trees are good.  It doesn't matter who plants them or when. Yellowstone was losing trees after the wolves were exterminated.  Elk overgrazed the new shoots.  The wolves were finally brought back and trees are making a comeback.  The lack of trees eroded the river and stream banks and left no material for beaver dams.  After the wolves came back beaver dams went from one to a hundred.  A society that values trees does grow great.  Even or especially if a twenty year` old plants one.  No one cares about the old guys.  Unless they are baby boomers.   Politicians love to suck up to them.

I think the engineers' answer could be flawed in some cases.

For whom or what is the glass intended?  Lots of possibilities... 

If it is a drink for a young kid it better not be anywhere near full or maybe even have a sippy cup lid on top 'cause there's gonna be a mess!  In that case, half full or empty is  "just right".

There's a glass out there designed to cover 99.9% of all situations. Therefore, if you have the wrong glass, you either made a mistake during your purchase selection, or your specific use and/or need for that glass was not properly evaluated.

Moral of the story, don't blame the engineer..... post 20 just went out the window.

Edited by Gilbert

I am an optimist for the sake of lifting my own spirits and of those around me. I try to find opportunities rather than fault. 

Yes!  I started doing that, too, and it has become a habit and a new outlook.  This point of view is connected to "Yes, I can!"  I'd much rather firmly believe "Yes, I can!" as opposed to "No, I can't."  And the fact is.... "Yes, I can!"   ;)

Whether you think you can or think you can’t -- you’re probably right.

I wish I were in Baltimore, drinking the water.  (sarcasm, have you seen the riots there again, tonight?)

And why does the media keep referring to the robbers, thugs and looters as "protesters?"  :mad:

Has everyone seen this HERO of a mother, kicking her son's behind for rioting?

• Like 1