Few questions about the RC64ii vs RC62ii

gadgtfreek

I've always been intrigued about the cost difference between the 64ii and the 62ii, knowing how nice the 62ii sounds. Since I am close to buying a 64ii, was kinda curious for some details.

Here is what I think I know:

• Build quality is better;made in the USA. 62ii is made wherever and vinyl
  • 1.75" horn loaded tweeter vs 1"
  • 2 more woofers; I assume the woofers themselves are the same in both models
  • 1 is sealed and 1 is ported; little confused by this choice since the other Rii models are ported
  • The 62ii has one crossover point, the 64ii has two; I assume this separates the woofers into pairs

Missing anything else? I assume the improvement in SQ is pretty much two more woofers and the larger horn?

Thanks.

The 62 is a beast! I struggled with this as well. When I upgraded it wasn't night and day. The 64 felt larger audibly and I thought it lacked in the bass dept compared to the 62. (ported vs sealed) That being said, It takes awhile to get used to it , but rest assured, it is better than the 62. . . . ever so slightly. It matches your 7's so take solace. 

Edited by AaronH

Now in my case, I had the RC-62 with my RF-63's for a while.  I was very content with the combo but always had that "what if" thing in the back of my head.  When One Call and 6thAvenue Electronics had the "name your on price" promos going on back around 2010, I offered $500.00 shipped for a new cherry RC-64 and they countered with $575.00 shipped.  It was a no brainer for that price.  

Now was it worth the swap?  Absolutely. The 64 brought "bigness" to the center with lots more movie impact, tightness in the bass, and clearer vocals.

That beautiful matching cherry veneer also won me over.

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 3

The "tweeter" and finish is probably the biggest thing. RF-7ii's and and RC-64ii's have a thick snap on certain percussion instruments that has a stronger tone than the smaller stuff. The real wood veneer just has no comparison too.

I figured the larger tweeter was a big part, I mean the RF7ii tweets stood out to me almost instantly with meat and clarity. And the whole time I was impressed by the 1" versions! And the cherry veneer does easily trump the black vinyl.

Edited by gadgtfreek
  • Like 1

The "tweeter" and finish is probably the biggest thing

easily!

And the cherry veneer does easily trump the black vinyl.

EASILY!!

as for the price difference. you guessed with those two thing. the performance is not there for the double the price. but rest assured you are getting a prettier, better speaker that matches your mains. and matching is the most important part of it. you will most likely love it.  

Edited by Scrappydue
  • Like 2

The "tweeter" and finish is probably the biggest thing
easily!

And the cherry veneer does easily trump the black vinyl.
EASILY!!

ashore the price difference. you guessed with those two thing. the performance is not there for the double the price. but rest assured you are getting a prettier, better speaker that matches your mains. and matching is the most important part of it. you will most likely love it.  

I think so. Even now after a good 7-8 hours of usage, the 62ii center just doesnt sound the same with the 7ii's in place. You can tell it doesn't quite "fit in".

Edited by gadgtfreek

...ashore the price difference. you guessed with those two thing. the performance is not there for the double the price. but rest assured you are getting a prettier, better speaker that matches your mains. and matching is the most important part of it. you will most likely love it.  

I agree with the first part of this post, but disagree with the second--Of course, stay in budget and price is relative, but if he already owns the RF-7IIs the RC-62II isn't going to do that system justice especially when you consider what the OP has spent already. 

Edited by tkdamerica

...ashore the price difference. you guessed with those two thing. the performance is not there for the double the price. but rest assured you are getting a prettier, better speaker that matches your mains. and matching is the most important part of it. you will most likely love it.  

I agree with the first part of this post, but disagree with the second--Of course, stay in budget and price is relative, but if he already owns the RF-7IIs the RC-62II isn't going to do that system justice especially when you consider what the OP has spent already. 

if you read what i wrote i said that:

but rest assured you are getting a prettier, better speaker that matches your mains

however if you listen to these two side by side the rc-64ii is not 2.3 times better of a center. its just not. sorry if you disagree with that but I'm sure most who have heard both and HONEST about PERFORMANCE ALONE then they would agree as well. now with that being said. i stand by what i first wrote. but it cause it matches an yes i know how much he has spent. 

You also learn to appreciate the build quality, which has a monetary value for some, and not for others.

I actually like that, for the first time, out of like 9 AV components, 4 will be made in the USA.

Edited by gadgtfreek

I went from a 62 to a 64, back to a 62 and back to a 64. I am nuts about swapping out gear though.

I liked the appearance and the build quality of the 64 so It stayed. Audio wise, couldn't really tell a difference when they were crossed over at 80hz.

You also learn to appreciate the build quality, which has a monetary value for some, and not for others.

I actually like that, for the first time, out of like 9 AV components, 4 will be made in the USA.

yes the veneer is a huge step up in quality over the vinyl wrap. and right now both my theater speaker setups are all made in the US. except for subs. but they don't count. they are DIY. gotta find out whats next for subwoofage upstairs for me now that the palladium one is gone. 

funny you should mention that deep sea. I just saw those in Avs. Local guy to me has a 24 I need to go experience. Either way won't fit in my living room. Was looking into the hst-12 drivers from SI. But the consensus seems to be to just get the 18's lol. I'm really torn. My plan was to sell the palladium and buy a consumer sub for less than the palladium and be done. But I just can't seem to fork over money for subs anymore. I just want to build unless I find stupid crazy deals on them used.

Which 4 are made in usa..??

7ii's, 64ii when I get it and the Outlaw 7500 (Made by ATI).