2 Channel Newbie

gadgtfreek

So, with my smaller Klipsch RF82ii's I always run music in 2.2 (towers and subs). Last night I went thru all modes on the preamp, and was utterly shocked how much the 7ii's thumped my chair and how clean the sound was.

I will not be using subs any more when I listen to music, it actually sounded worse! "Pure" mode for me.

7ii's+AV7702+Model 7500 = Bliss for me

It's always a shame when you realize what you have been missing...

I use a single sub which I have set just enough to represent the bottom octaves. Works out well for me considering my eclectic taste in music. Perhaps yours was set too high, the phase wasn't set properly or it was placed in a corner or too close to the wall. All these possibilities contribute to the subs performance.

If anything I could see the octave issue. my subs are set 80hz for the LFE channel, and take everything below 60hz from the 7ii's. Thats really for HT use, I do not have a "music" preset for different crossovers.

Subs are not in corners and there are not phasing issues (know that for a fact). It's gotta be something with the settings and music, because in a HT environment they rock at the same volume levels. I also think the new 2015 Dolby Surround mode for music is part of the issue, especially if I am not the only one at AVS to notice it doesn't sound very good.

All that being said, the 7ii's in "pure" sound outstanding and have gobs of bass, so no need to worry about it I guess. I just realized at that point why a lot of people love 2 channel music with the right speakers, because it sounded outstanding.

Edited by gadgtfreek

I a found several threads between AVS and AVForums where people have found Direct/Pure Direct (only difference is Pure Direct shuts off analog video circuitry and the front display) are better at music than anything else.

My next experiment is to see what I think of Pure in multichannel vs XT32 for some movie scenes. I like XT32, but I wonder if it always the best decision.

Gadgtfreek, I tried Pure Direct just to see if I could get that chest shaking bass you speak of. And to see if you were just down right crazy! :D  Guess what, I found it! The RF7ii sound really good in Pure Direct which I never noticed until you started talking about it. It made me curious and made me try it again, thanks for that. I think the reason I didnt hear it beofre is because I didnt turn it up enough. Without the .1 subwoofer, at least for me, I have to turn the volume up quite a bit to compensate for no woofer. Pretty impressive. But, I think I still like the .1 on subwoofer and direct mode as long as I turn the bass down on sub. either way, they rock!

Going back to a post I made earlier......

Ditching the multi channel preamp and multi channel amp for a true two channel rig (tubes or SS, take your pick) will take everything to another level. I know that's not a very popular opinion around here, but I hold steadfast to it.

Shakey

• Like 1

Ditching the multi channel preamp and multi channel amp for a true two channel rig (tubes or SS, take your pick) will take everything to another level. I know that's not a very popular opinion around here, but I hold steadfast to it.

Shakey

I'm right there with you.  Ditched all the extraneous "stuff" months ago to focus on just music.  Much happier for it. 

• Moderators

Shakey

I'm right there with you.  Ditched all the extraneous "stuff" months ago to focus on just music.  Much happier for it. 

It was true for me also, separated the 2 Ch  completely from a AVR and heard a giant difference in everything overall. Now it was an older receiver (YamahaRX v730) and it is not nearly as good as what many are using but the difference was not small, and it was just used as a preamp, I was not even using the amps in the AVR.

Shakey

I miss my old AMC 2ch integrated. I am sure there are a lot better out there but even this thing for 2ch was substantially better than my onkyo, both used as pre only to an NAD 2ch amp. 

Gadgtfreek, I tried Pure Direct just to see if I could get that chest shaking bass you speak of. And to see if you were just down right crazy! :D  Guess what, I found it! The RF7ii sound really good in Pure Direct which I never noticed until you started talking about it. It made me curious and made me try it again, thanks for that. I think the reason I didnt hear it beofre is because I didnt turn it up enough. Without the .1 subwoofer, at least for me, I have to turn the volume up quite a bit to compensate for no woofer. Pretty impressive. But, I think I still like the .1 on subwoofer and direct mode as long as I turn the bass down on sub. either way, they rock!

I'm telling you, they thump, and with very little movement from the 10's.

Have you guys tried playing with the eq for 2.0ch? I use the basic bass  tone control which boosts frequencies around 40-60hz, usuallly 4db hot. Not for everyone but will really show you how well just your speakers can run if you have the power.