B.B. King not in good shape....

jimjimbo

• Moderators

I'm not the subject of the thread. Read the title. Read the posts. This is about BB King.

Yes, it WAS about BB King....Guess what? I started the thread. I created the title, I posted the initial post. As has been the unfortunate recent trend on this forum, a very innocent statement and praise for a great musician has been corrupted by those that apparently have nothing better to do. If you are to form opinions about the performances and merits of those that are at the end of long and illustrious careers, whether it be musicians, athletes, or others, then I guess you are quite sad due to being constantly disappointed.

Mark said, pretty clearly, that he wasn't in "my top ten." It us obviously his opinion and he is entitled to his opinion, and he is entitled to express it, subject to 3 simple rules. There wasn't any personal attack on anyone until your response, which is clearly a personal attack.

As Dtel so eloquently said, if you post expect people to disagree with you, it doesn't make him right, but we can be civil. I think he also mentioned something about being reminded of his 3 girls when they were little and maybe something about crybabys.

There is no rule about giving a negative music review. If people disagree they can say so, and if they want, why. That has kind of been the point the last couple of days, being civil even if you disagree with the other person's opinion.

I saw the Who last week, for what I think is the 11th time, and while Roger can still hit a very narrow range and sound steller, he should have hung 'em up long ago. He is 70ish, and I guess they just wanted one more day in the sun. Pete was perfect, voice, guitar and everything else.

I saw Sinatra the year before he died, he probably shoukd have hung 'em ip to, but I am glad he didn't, 75% he was better than most in that catagory

Travis

• Moderators

I'm not the subject of the thread. Read the title. Read the posts. This is about BB King.

Yes, it WAS about BB King....Guess what? I started the thread. I created the title, I posted the initial post. As has been the unfortunate recent trend on this forum, a very innocent statement and praise for a great musician has been corrupted by those that apparently have nothing better to do. If you are to form opinions about the performances and merits of those that are at the end of long and illustrious careers, whether it be musicians, athletes, or others, then I guess you are quite sad due to being constantly disappointed.

Mark said, pretty clearly, that he wasn't in "my top ten." It us obviously his opinion and he is entitled to his opinion, and he is entitled to express it, subject to 3 simple rules. There wasn't any personal attack on anyone until your response, which is clearly a personal attack.

As Dtel so eloquently said, if you post expect people to disagree with you, it doesn't make him right, but we can be civil. I think he also mentioned something about being reminded of his 3 girls when they were little and maybe something about crybabys.

There is no rule about giving a negative music review. If people disagree they can say so, and if they want, why. That has kind of been the point the last couple of days, being civil even if you disagree with the other person's opinion.

I saw the Who last week, for what I think is the 11th time, and while Roger can still hit a very narrow range and sound steller, he should have hung 'em up long ago. He is 70ish, and I guess they just wanted one more day in the sun. Pete was perfect, voice, guitar and everything else.

I saw Sinatra the year before he died, he probably shoukd have hung 'em ip to, but I am glad he didn't, 75% he was better than most in that catagory

Travis

Don't matter if "I" like them or not.  Those Guitar players are better then I could ever be.

It appears that they are good enough to pay the bills.

If at the end of the day they are Happy,  That's what matters.  Doing a Job that makes them happy is more then most folks can claim and be honest about it.

Travis, out of both lists, Johnny Guitar Watson was only mentioned in the comments section way down on the page of the second list.  This is despite the fact that the Vaughans put him in the top with the three kings as their greatest influences. And of course Stevie Ray is way up on these lists.  Despite that a lot of the tricks Hendrix did are traceable directly to Watson.  Thebes is the only other one here that I know of who understands.  The so called experts or worse the popular polls show that they know nothing.  "Ain't that a Real Mutha for Ya?"

Travis, out of both lists, Johnny Guitar Watson was only mentioned in the comments section way down on the page of the second list.  This is despite the fact that the Vaughans put him in the top with the three kings as their greatest influences. And of course Stevie Ray is way up on these lists.  Despite that a lot of the tricks Hendrix did are traceable directly to Watson.  Thebes is the only other one here that I know of who understands. 

I have just about all of Johnny Guitar Watson's stuff, I love him. Elmore James, Buddy Guy, Kenny Wayne Shepar, Susan Tedeschi, Bonomassa, Billy Gibbons, Jeff Beck, Derek Trucks, Mike Bloomfield, T-Bone Walker, Robert Cray, etc,

Reminds me of this post by Thebes below.

Johnny Guitar Watson is one of the greatest players of the age. Right up there with Django Reinhardt.

The Beatles earned billions while poor Johnny was forced to drive around in a plywood Cadillac.

johnnywatson.jpg

Yes a classic post with humor and truth layered on top of each other to make a point.   I think it was post of the year as I recall.

If it wasn't post of the year, it probably should have been.  I did clip other portions of his Beatles rant to not obscure the nuances for this thread.

I'll post this from Wikipedia for info.

Watson, a recognized master of the Fender Stratocaster guitar, has been compared to Jimi Hendrix and allegedly became irritated when asked about this comparison, supposedly stating: "I used to play the guitar standing on my hands. I had a 150-foot cord and I could get on top of the auditorium – those things Jimi Hendrix was doing, I started that shit."[9]

Frank Zappa stated that "Watson's 1956 song 'Three Hours Past Midnight' inspired me to become a guitarist". Watson contributed to Zappa's albums One Size Fits All (1975), Them or Us (1984), Thing-Fish (1984) and Frank Zappa Meets the Mothers of Prevention (1985). Zappa also named "Three Hours Past Midnight" his favorite record in a 1979 interview.

Steve Miller not only did a cover of "Gangster of Love" on his 1968 album Sailor (substituting "Is your name "Stevie 'Guitar' Miller?" for the same line with Watson's name), he made a reference to it in his 1969 song "Space Cowboy" ("And you know that I'm a gangster of love") as well as in his 1973 hit song "The Joker" ("Some call me the gangster of love"). Miller had also borrowed the sobriquet for his own "The Gangster Is Back", on his 1971 album Rock Love.

Jimmie Vaughan, brother of Stevie Ray Vaughan, is quoted as saying: "When my brother Stevie and I were growing up in Dallas, we idolized very few guitarists. We were highly selective and highly critical. Johnny 'Guitar' Watson was at the top of the list, along with Freddie, Albert and B.B. King. He made magic."[citation needed]

Bobby Womack said: "Music-wise, he was the most dangerous gunslinger out there. Even when others made a lot of noise in the charts – I'm thinking of Sly Stone or George Clinton – you know they'd studied Johnny's stage style and listened very carefully to Johnny's grooves."[citation needed]

Etta James stated, in an interview at the 2006 Rochester Jazz Festival: "Johnny 'Guitar' Watson... Just one of my favorite singers of all time. I first met him when we were both on the road with Johnny Otis in the '50s, when I was a teenager. We traveled the country in a car together so I would hear him sing every night. His singing style was the one I took on when I was 17 – people used to call me the female Johnny 'Guitar' Watson and him the male Etta James... He knew what the blues was all about..."

James is also quoted as saying: "I got everything from Johnny... He was my main model... My whole ballad style comes from my imitating Johnny's style... He was the baddest and the best... Johnny Guitar Watson was not just a guitarist: the man was a master musician. He could call out charts; he could write a beautiful melody or a nasty groove at the drop of a hat; he could lay on the harmonies and he could come up with a whole sound. They call Elvis the King; but the sure-enough King was Johnny 'Guitar' Watson."[citation needed]

Pearl Jam recorded a song entitled "Johnny Guitar", about Watson, for their 2009 album Backspacer.

Watson's 1976 song "Superman Lover" features on the soundtrack of the video game Grand Theft Auto V