3 Channel amp or stereo amp with mono for center?

Scrappydue

as the title reads. looking for opinions on amps. i am getting ready to buy a new receiver. was gonna get a 4520 for upstairs but thought id save the 200 and just get the x4000 and possibly add an amp down the road. so i am wondering if i should look at 2 channel for better stereo performance and a mono for the center. or if i should just get a nice 3 channel amp. just looking for some opinions. 

I run 2 stereo amps... One for left and right and the 2nd amp only uses one channel for the center, but then I am running Pro amps.

Edited by ellisr63

My vote would be a 3ch Acurus amp. A200x3

As great an amp as the A200x3 is, the Palladiums deserve the 8008x3BB.

8008x3BB  oh yeah, bad to the bone!

Scrappy, one note though, the Mondial Aragon amps are of the 19" wide variety instead of the standard 17" wide.

Bill

Hey Scrappy, someone has three of the XPa-1 mono block amps on the Emo site. They are amazing amps and they would be perfectly matched to each other.

I agree. 3 XPA-1's.

I like the idea of monoblocks, but I did not have the room for them. With a monoblock or multi channel amp with differential design you have virtually no crosstalk.

This is where if you were getting say an XPA-3 for 3 channel, or XPA-5, Id recommend a multi channel Outlaw instead (7500/7700).

I am not familiar with the Accurus, but I do not think those are made any more. If you can't find one a Parasound Halo is also a nice choice.

Edited by gadgtfreek
  • Like 1

I am not familiar with the Accurus, but I do not think those are made any more

Acurus(and Aragon) are alive and well today thanks to Indy Audio Labs, but no new 3-channel amps.  But, they do have a really cool feature where you can completely shut off all unused channels(idle voltage and all) via an ethernet based monitoring system.

http://www.ultrahighendreview.com/acurus-a2002-stereo-power-amplifier/

Bill

Here is another suggestion -- Classé CAV-75.  It's a six-channel amp that can be bridged to 3-channel (or 4 or 5).

692287-classe_cav75_multi_channel_power_

Classe is the way to go if you can afford it...they are awesome amps.

• Like 1

I've had several 3 channel amps and thought they were all great. The original Acurus 200x3 was favorite sounding followed by the Carver A-753x. The Adcom 5503 sounds nice as well. I've never had the pleasure of listening to an Aragon but based on my impressions of Acurus and what I've read about them I bet they'd be a good choice.

Also, if you're only powering the front three channels have you considered the use of a 5 channel amp like the Sunfire 200x5? You can bi-amp your front mains with four of the channels and still power the center with the fifth. Obviously you could do this with any 5 channel amp, I just happen to like the Sunfire / Klipsch combo.

I've been struggling with how to address my L/C/R power as well. My HT scenario is slightly different, as I have the need to add 2 additional surround channels (currently 7.2 @ 125Wpch/ upgrading to 9.2). I'm not trying to throw $$$ at amps to dramatically improve reference level SQ, as $$$ spent to do that is better thrown at speakers.  Obviously not going to add an amp to power 2 surround channels, so considering options to power my front (L/C/R) sound stage.

Right now looking at these:

** EMO XPA-3  (200Wpc)

** OUTLAW 2200 Mono Blocks (200Wpc per each)

** EMO XPA-5 (200Wpc) its only $200 more than the XPA-3, so there's value with that approach

Good luck with your decision.

I've been struggling with how to address my L/C/R power as well. My HT scenario is slightly different, as I have the need to add 2 additional surround channels (currently 7.2 @ 125Wpch/ upgrading to 9.2). I'm not trying to throw $$$ at amps to dramatically improve reference level SQ, as $$$ spent to do that is better thrown at speakers.  Obviously not going to add an amp to power 2 surround channels, so considering options to power my front (L/C/R) sound stage.

Right now looking at these:

** EMO XPA-3  (200Wpc)

** OUTLAW 2200 Mono Blocks (200Wpc per each)

** EMO XPA-5 (200Wpc) its only $200 more than the XPA-3, so there's value with that approach

Good luck with your decision.

All three of the amps you are deciding on are great choices. I am familiar with all of them.

In the case you go with the Outlaw amps, I have a pair I may be able to part with. Really nice shape and they sound fantastic. Easy on the wallet as well. PM me if interested!

• Like 1