Tube warm-up

My mono amps, preamp, CDP, and DAC are all tubed.  I find that 27 minutes and 12 seconds of warm up is best.  Five minutes after that everything gets so syrupy sweet I have to shut it all down.  It's a drag to only be able to listen for five minutes but that's the hobby we've chosen :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I have found this to be amp dependent, though tubes are at temp relatively quickly 15 to 30 minutes I have had amps that seem to open up and sing at 1 hour or more

I know people that will turn there systems on 2 hours b-4 they plan to listen in order to allow for warm up and settle in, if they cant get that time they will not bother listening  :mellow:

personally if I dont have at least a couple hours to listen I tend to walk away myself

• Like 1

I always figured that some tubes might actually be running cooler when the amp is producing the most and running hotter when it isn't producing any sound... while it is just converting energy into heat instead of music.  

Funny that you mention this. From an e-mail exchange with Maynard (he suggested I ask here for a wider variety of opinions):

Regarding turning on the amp an hour before listening goes, that's fine.  If you do that, play music rather than let it sit idling with no signal as the latter causes the tube to dissipate the greatest amount of heat (although I'm running those 6CM6s so conservatively that it probably won't matter in terms of longevity).  I'm not a fan of leaving any electronic equipment on when not in attendance, so keeping it on all w/e isn't something that I'd personally do (too many years in the TV repair field with many tales to relate!!!).  

Holy Crap!!!

You guys and your warm up time ! Geez Louise!!!

I Turn on Five power switchs, KT 88s are starting to glow at one min, meanwile my right hand is clickin through the playlist.

Im crankin in less than 5 min warm up time and pizzin off neighbors in 10.

Quite frankly i never thought about "Warmup time" and will not. KT88s rock and can take it. 

Mark warm up does not = working, it is used to indicate when a tube is at operating temp for best results / sound  (subjective)  :)

Your starting to sound like an Exwife.

Warmup does not = working, sounds like a sexual thing, but then again im drinkin some really good singlr malt RTM, and in fact just fired up the Amp Stack.  

Edited by minermark

Mark warm up does not = working, it is used to indicate when a tube is at operating temp for best results / sound  (subjective)  :)

Warmup does not = working, sounds like a sexual thing, but then again im drinkin some really good singlr malt RTM, and in fact just fired up the Amp Stack.  

knew I could get a rise  :D

• Like 1

I turn on pre first, then amp, reverse for off, don't know why, always have, someone must have told me a long time ago.  As far as how long, maybe five minutes, sometimes it might be longer if I am at the beginning of a drink or other things.

knew I could get a rise  :D

Love you long time. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Idle down?  That makes me wonder... I always figured that some tubes might actually be running cooler when the amp is producing the most and running hotter when it isn't producing any sound...

I didn't say it made any sense, it's just the way I do it. I don't want to speculate because I really don't know the answer and I think the amp architecture makes a difference also. It's an interesting question, probably with multiple correct answers.

Holy Crap!!!

I guess you have never seen the guys that leave their pre-amps on 24/7, burning through a lot of tubes in a year. I'm pretty sure they are doing it for good reason. I know I can hear the difference between cold and warm on some equipment. Perhaps it's just not required on your rig/rigs?

• Like 2

Idle down?  That makes me wonder... I always figured that some tubes might actually be running cooler when the amp is producing the most and running hotter when it isn't producing any sound...

I didn't say it made any sense, it's just the way I do it. I don't want to speculate because I really don't know the answer and I think the amp architecture makes a difference also. It's an interesting question, probably with multiple correct answers.

Holy Crap!!!

I guess you have never seen the guys that leave their pre-amps on 24/7, burning through a lot of tubes in a year. I'm pretty sure they are doing it for good reason. I know I can hear the difference between cold and warm on some equipment. Perhaps it's just not required on your rig/rigs?

PreAmps on 24/7 dam man ! not for me.

My Calif SMUD "BS" bill is $2bones+ a month as it is.

FK the Amp(S), if they cannot handle zero to Mind blasting rock in four min from a cold start, well you know what ? i'll just get a new one(s).

Imported KT88s running two+ years now and still running strong. 

• Like 1

I guess you have never seen the guys that leave their pre-amps on 24/7,

when i googled this question before posting I did in fact read about people that do this, and i was expecting more variety on this subject matter. so far, everyone seems to be pretty practical and think alike on this one.. :o  

I always figured that some tubes might actually be running cooler when the amp is producing the most and running hotter when it isn't producing any sound... while it is just converting energy into heat instead of music.  

Funny that you mention this. From an e-mail exchange with Maynard (he suggested I ask here for a wider variety of opinions):

Regarding turning on the amp an hour before listening goes, that's fine.  If you do that, play music rather than let it sit idling with no signal as the latter causes the tube to dissipate the greatest amount of heat (although I'm running those 6CM6s so conservatively that it probably won't matter in terms of longevity).  I'm not a fan of leaving any electronic equipment on when not in attendance, so keeping it on all w/e isn't something that I'd personally do (too many years in the TV repair field with many tales to relate!!!). 

Best answer. Why let one's expensive tubes sit idle warming up? (in Micheal case, 6CM6s aren't that expensive, but still...) Fire it up , and listen to music....