Fire up those RTR

• Moderators

Otari is still making decks, but man are they expensive!

You got that right, 10K.

http://www.broadcaststore.com/store/model_detail.cfm?id=812624

In my opinion you would be much better off with a refurbished Ampex or Studer, at half the cost. Better FR, W&F and S/N. But that is in the 2-track realm.

Forn4 track consumer/prosumer, there are many, many great decks out there.

Travis

Man you guys have got some nice looking decks. The reason I got interested in this thread is that I started recording tapes on my old teac3300 recently for the first time in a number or years. A buddy of mine recently acquired a box set of all of the Beatles English imports that had never been played. I recorded what I thought was the best tracks onto two TDK reels. The sound quality on a lot of this stuff is outstanding. I'd kind of like some input as to the quality of the recordings I've made. Maybe we could do another tape swap. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

You got that right, 10K.

http://www.broadcaststore.com/store/model_detail.cfm?id=812624

In my opinion you would be much better off with a refurbished Ampex or Studer, at half the cost. Better FR, W&F and S/N. But that is in the 2-track realm.

Travis

i work in what used to be the Ampex facility starting in the 60's, now a machine shop. haven't found any rtr's laying around though. there are still quite a few pieces of manufacturing equipment in our shop that date back to the ampex days. in the basement are offices sitting as they were left in the 80's, i wouldn't be surprised if there was something yet to be discovered down there.

• Like 1

• Moderators

ATTENTION: BLUESBOY, TARHEEL, WARDSWEB, CANYONMAN

Check iut this thread from almost ten (10) years ago.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/74029-attn-reel-to-reel-owners-music-exchange/

This is one if the reasins I live this place so much, people dig audio for audio.

Bluesboy, did you move out West?

• Like 1

• Moderators

You got that right, 10K.http://www.broadcaststore.com/store/model_detail.cfm?id=812624

Travis

i work in what used to be the Ampex facility starting in the 60's, now a machine shop. haven't found any rtr's laying around though. there are still quite a few pieces of manufacturing equipment in our shop that date back to the ampex days. in the basement are offices sitting as they were left in the 80's, i wouldn't be surprised if there was something yet to be discovered down there.

Alabama, Chicago, Redwood City, Culver City? Which one. My Dad worked for Ampex, thus we live in Northern CA, and SoCal. If you can tell me what city and narrow it down to a building I can tell you what they did there. Opilieka, Alabama was Orr Industries who made Irish audio tape, the preferred tape of Mr. Klipsch, until it was bought by Ampex and made the Tape Division. The other locations did multiple things but each had specialities.

Would be interested to know which plant/building you are in.

Travis

• Like 1

Any recommendations for R2R techs.  I have two decks that need service a Teac X-10 and a Teac X-7R.  Old reliable the Teac 3300S is playing fine.  My old guru Kevin Kass has retired I hear.  He didn't much like the X series.  If anyone has an exceptional Tandberg I might be interested.

ATTENTION: BLUESBOY, TARHEEL, WARDSWEB, CANYONMAN

Check iut this thread from almost ten (10) years ago.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/74029-attn-reel-to-reel-owners-music-exchange/

This is one if the reasins I live this place so much, people dig audio for audio.

Bluesboy, did you move out West?

Yeah I moved to Richland Washington three years ago. .

• Like 1

• Moderators
Yeah I moved to Richland Washington three years ago. .

Well glad to see your back and signed in under original name. B)

No RTR for me, like a dummy I gave a nice Akai to a friend about 20 years ago, with a Sansui 8080, the only things I ever gave away that was sorry for later. :(   

• Like 1

• Moderators

Hey I might be up for a tape swap???

Great, I will post a thread. Both your decks are 2 Track record correct?
Yes they are both record/playback, I just use external tape pre's/tubes for playback.
But neither of yours are 4 track record record correct? You can Repro 2 track on both, and play back 2 or 4 on the 5050? No 4 track repro for you correct?

Luther and I can do 15 IPS 2 track repro in NAB or IEC, as I recall you prefer IEC is that right?

Travis

Edited by dwilawyer

• Moderators

You got that right, 10K.http://www.broadcaststore.com/store/model_detail.cfm?id=812624

Travis

Alabama, Chicago, Redwood City, Culver City? Which one. My Dad worked for Ampex, thus we live in Northern CA, and SoCal. If you can tell me what city and narrow it down to a building I can tell you what they did there. Opilieka, Alabama was Orr Industries who made Irish audio tape, the preferred tape of Mr. Klipsch, until it was bought by Ampex and made the Tape Division. The other locations did multiple things but each had specialities.

Would be interested to know which plant/building you are in.

Travis

Here is the advertisement where Mr. Klipsch did a co-op head with Orr Industries/Irish tape which I have posted in other threads.  Orr Industries sold 26% of the company to Ampex in the late 50s and then eventually all of the company by the early 60s which became known as the Ampex Tape Division.

Travis

post-13028-0-84540000-1433087666_thumb.j

Okay all this R2R talk motivated me to dig the neglected Teac out of the closet.  A quick clean up and testing confirmed the problem with play and FF continue.  I contacted a tech 2 hours from here and made arrangements for him to take a look.  The other two Teacs still working.

post-17365-0-37700000-1433087754_thumb.j

post-17365-0-41220000-1433087771_thumb.j

post-17365-0-27100000-1433087791_thumb.j

Hey I might be up for a tape swap???

Great, I will post a thread. Both your decks are 2 Track record correct?
Yes they are both record/playback, I just use external tape pre's/tubes for playback.
But neither of yours are 4 track record record correct? You can Repro 2 track on both, and play back 2 or 4 on the 5050? No 4 track repro for you correct?

Luther and I can do 15 IPS 2 track repro in NAB or IEC, as I recall you prefer IEC is that right?

Travis

Travis,

That is correct, the EQ doesn't matter I can do both. I use IEC for 15ips and NAB for 7ips...

Jay