Home Thermostat is haunted

USNRET

One of my thermostats occasionally decides to reset itself to 68 degrees. It is a Honeywell basic thermostat and is set to hold 78 (no programming / schedule has been coded). Every so often, always at night, it changes to hold at 68. I have gone as far as replacing the thermostat and it still happens. The battery has been checked and replaced. The wife certainly doesn't change is as she hates colder temps and I have never seen either child touch a control and the times it happens they are deep asleep. Wired correctly and connections are tight. WTFO????

post-19886-0-99040000-1435884227_thumb.j

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 1

With all the problems you have reported, have you thought of moving?

Too much hassle and no money. This zone is the one that I have had zero problems with (except this now). Finally got the others to run fault free for a while now.........KNOCK ON WOOD

Well then something is obviously haunted.  I doubt it is the thermostat since you replaced it.  Wait to see if your kids float to the ceiling.  if they do then move regardless of cost.

The only other explanation is you have a thermostat poltergeist.  That would take over whatever thermostat you install.

The only other explanation is you have a thermostat poltergeist. That would take over whatever thermostat you install.

Got it, perhaps the kids can dust the ceilings while there. The ghosts seem to only appear in the dining room thermostat as they choose not to tamper with the others.

You may have something there oldtimer as a smoke detector on a 22' high ceiling decided to twist out of its mount and dangle from the wiring in the same area.

post-19886-0-97120000-1435887749_thumb.j

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 1

Guest thesloth

If you have a mulitmeter then maybe check the control voltages?  Could be low or high and causing the thermostat to freak out maybe. You should have 24VAC.

Step one chunk the Honeywell!! Step 2 buy a emerson blue t-stat. Step 3 install . Problem solved!! Been in HVAC for over 20 years and run my own company. Honeywell always gave me fits with weird problems, will not use them anymore. Their commercial grade controls are very good. If you need help wiring it up PM me and I can talk you thru it.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Dude now this is getting way over my pay grade. Can anyone here help this man?

A Priest  :o

Just kidding doesn't sound that bad, I do like the idea of the kids dusting the ceiling. :emotion-21:

Lived in a 100+ year old house once that had many problems like this and much more but nothing scary enough for us to move, but it did change our opinion of some things for sure.

• Like 3

If you have a mulitmeter then maybe check the control voltages?  Could be low or high and causing the thermostat to freak out maybe. You should have 24VAC.

I am good with DVM; verify which terminals to check for 24 VAC.

post-19886-0-42400000-1435891835_thumb.j

Edited by USNRET

Step 2 buy a emerson blue t-stat

Given the above wires (not heat pump) what model / part number? Can you sell?
Go to your local HVAC supply store tell them you need a Emerson blue tstat single stage for gas/electric heat.

I can get you one and ship it to you, but you will save money buying local most of the time. You should not have to pay more than

60 to 65 $ for it. You have a easy hook up. Common wire colors Y=cool G=fan W=heat R= power 24volt.. When you get tstat it should have a red jumper wire between RC/RH. If not make one to jump these together, then connect the red wire to these. Make sure you turn breaker off to unit so you don't short the transformer while changing the Tstat. The blue wire in your pic is common and goes back to C

Edited by totalcomfort

The dude is right, junk the Honeywell which is sporadic due to poor battery contacts and programming and go to the

Emerson which is rock solid with the blue screen. My local repair company will only install these units. My other Honnywells

always required constant monitoring for spasdic changes.

JJK