Home Thermostat is haunted

USNRET

• 2 weeks later...

So I installed one thermostat on Sat and one on Sun. All seemed good to go until today when the kid's side of the house failed AGAIN.

Emmerson Blue thermostat with display light commanded to stay lit. T'stat calls for cooling and approx. 5 seconds later the display light goes out. 24 volt feed fuse is good. Tech 2 days out but it's only 105 heat index.

All connections check good, outside low voltage wiring looks un-damaged, no LED codes (un-lit), 120 VAC at plug. Float switch has continuity and works with float, no water present. Carrier brand.

Re-installed old tstat, no joy.

Edited by USNRET

there's continuity and there's continuity. Seriously we have seen this with float switches (I have been in the business since 1981). If the float switch is wire-nutted in outside the air handler remove the two small wire nuts and twist the 2 leads from the AH together. It's worth a try. Otherwise it's probably the circuit board (and probably is).

What model? is it an FB4, FX4 ?

I understand the inabilty of a circuit to carry a load, we run across that from time to time in our aircraft maintenance. Yes, it is wire nutted but I ain't going back up there in the hot azz attic again today. Not that it make a difference this float switch was replaced a few months ago when I had the leaky evaporator coil replaced.

The tech called back and said he could squeeze me in tomorrow about 10ish. I'll let the kiddos crash in the other side of the house with a working unit.

I don't have the model number.

Thanks!

Edited by USNRET

Well think of the great progress you made. At least you know that 5 thermostat controls are good and not at fault. In my case a long time ago the mice ate

through the wire insulation of the thermostat wires and made the whole system intermittent. You have AC equipment control problems.

JJK

At least you know that 5 thermostat controls are good and not at fault.
Actually, the 'haunted tstat' is on the side of the house that remains workiing. The failed side has had the condensor, evaporator, xformer fuse and thermostat (just because I bought two) all changed in the last 18 months. There were several trouble calls in-between where no parts were changed.

So maybe not haunted but vampire related?

To me this sounds like a fun problem, meaning id set up a video camera w/time/date stamp on the camera, it would be really easy to figure out what time it goes wacco, and if it goes wacco at the same time every night, now the fun would begin, track down what happens power related at that time. (Not making fun of usn's problem)

Interestingly enough, I was chatting with a co-worker today and he is having the same random re-sets to 68 degrees with his HONEYWELL tstat. I hope that problem has gone away with the new Emerson tstat. New issue is with the other system which has had multiple issues over the last 18 months or so.

The 24vac transformer is powered by the attic unit 120 VAC power. It has popped a xformer fuse in the past but I have checked the fuse and verified 24 vac at the tstat.

Let ya'll know after the tech comes by tomorrow.