Speakers VS Headphones, Your opinions

I want to start by saying I fully expect this to get EMOTIONAL :emotion-14: , but no reason we can not stay civil  :sleep:

Heres my 2 cents

The only advantage I see speakers have is SOUND STAGE, and maybe Impact in that hit you in the chest sorta way (for me sound stage is a big advantage I love a 3D sound stage) 

IME... Headphones allow the listener to get more intimate with the material which opens up more Nuance, Detail, Clarity, Background, breath, Air, Seperation, pretty much every aspect of the material is more evident through Headphones;

I am even getting to the point where I like the Impact on Headphones you may not feel it in your chest but you can certainly hear the sound of the notes better...........................

There is the aspect of WAF & $$$ which cannot be overlooked, a superior headphone setup will easily fit on a desk and cost less than 1/4 what a decent floor standing system will cost

So let the banter begin  :D

• Like 3

Great headphones can set the standard for good sound where the need for proper speaker placement and room treatments disappears.  A very nice set of headphones will remind me of what I'm striving for in the listening room.  No crazy nulls or booms to deal with!   However, headphones ultimately fail to provide the proper separation and sound stage as the sound is injected into my head.  No matter how clean and good the sound it just doesn't seem natural.  

Cost, ease of use, portability... these are all significant pluses and why I will always want both.

i've certainly vacillated on this very subject over time. i could probably sell my speakers and get a decent mid-tier pair of headphones and amp, keeping the source and dac exactly as they are. but i'm not hurting for space and the system is in my detached office (so no WAF or noise requirements).. and I already own the gear, so i just keep it as is for now.

However, headphones ultimately fail to provide the proper separation and sound stage as the sound is injected into my head.  No matter how clean and good the sound it just doesn't seem natural.

For me this was the largest hurdle to get over, but a forced 2+ year restriction to a headphone setup has made this less of an issue. I now appreciate the strengths of headphones more than I miss the loss of  sound stage  ( I always wonder how the big headphone guys gush over sound stage )

Checking out some Super Trio High res as I type and it is freaking superb, I can hear every foot pedal movement on the piano, Now that does not make the music better but it sure adds to the enjoyment

• Like 1

i've certainly vacillated on this very subject over time. i could probably sell my speakers and get a decent mid-tier pair of headphones and amp, keeping the source and dac exactly as they are. but i'm not hurting for space and the system is in my detached office (so no WAF or noise requirements).. and I already own the gear, so i just keep it as is for now.

you will never truly know what you are missing till you try them  :emotion-14:  :tongue:

Edited by joessportster

I use headphones only when I need to not make noise at night when someone is sleeping.  Admittedly I have cheap $40 in-ear headphones (did I get that term right?  :)  ) and I have never gotten comfortable with them.  From an emotional point of view, I would see myself as neutral, in the middle.

I have heard $300 over-the-ear phones and the sound is stunning.  Still, headphones are just not for me for day-in and day-out listening.

Edited by wvu80

music is mastered on speakers....so l/r balance or stage will not be corect on 'phones. that's a problem...many years ago some headpone recordings were made tho...and those sound good on phones.

phones have super detail tho....and don't disturb others....

wearing phones is tedius...hot...uncomfy for long periods...

bnice at 2am tho!!! lol

I use headphones only when I need to not make noise at night when someone is sleeping.  Admittedly I have cheap $40 in-ear headphones (did I get that term right?  :)  ) and I have never gotten comfortable with them.  From an emotional point of view, I would see myself as neutral, in the middle.

I have heard $300 over-the-ear phones and the sound is stunning.  Still, headphones are just not for me for day-in and day-out listening.

:emotion-21:

music is mastered on speakers....so l/r balance or stage will not be corect on 'phones. that's a problem...many years ago some headpone recordings were made tho...and those sound good on phones.

phones have super detail tho....and don't disturb others....

wearing phones is tedius...hot...uncomfy for long periods...

bnice at 2am tho!!! lol

I turn on the AC when it gets to hot  :)  I also use open back which allows for more air circulation, Chesky is making more BinAural recordings and they are great 

one weird thing you made me think about while I agree headphones dont offer a great soundstage they do have a bit of one as I always get the center image  ?

To pull an excerpt from Mr. Thaddeus Smith’s signature, “it’s all about the source material…..”  It would be great if every piece of music that was recorded and mixed with speakers in mind was also recorded binaurally.  The few binaurally recorded examples I listen to on headphones results in an amazing experience where I sometimes I feel I’m strategically seated somewhere in the middle of the band.  Also, as I’ve done some upgrading on my headphone experience (thanks Joe for starting me down that path :emotion-21: ), the resolution is amazing where what once seemed like possibly a cymbal, now reveals itself as a triangle. :blush:

I'm no headphone virgin :P

I've used:

Beyerdynamic DT990 (600ohm)

Pioneer Monitor 10

Pioneer SE-2

Pioneer SE-4

AIAIAI TMA-1 (first gen)

shure se535

misc. diy cmoy battery amps

RSA Predator amp

Denon 3808ci

I basically flipped a coin when it came to deciding on a $500+ pair of headphones and similar priced amp vs. finishing my speaker system. And I landed on speakers.

I'm no headphone virgin :P

I've used:

Beyerdynamic DT990 (600ohm)

Pioneer Monitor 10

Pioneer SE-2

Pioneer SE-4

AIAIAI TMA-1 (first gen)

shure se535

misc. diy cmoy battery amps

RSA Predator amp

Denon 3808ci

I basically flipped a coin when it came to deciding on a $500+ pair of headphones and similar priced amp vs. finishing my speaker system. And I landed on speakers.

I got ya, Hell you have tried more cans than me,  My Experience is, Harmon Kardon, Sennheiset, various cheap IEM, and my current HiFiMan Modded He500's

Justins amps and audioGd amp/dac, and the Centrance dac/amp

Edited by joessportster

If I wanted somebody to scream in  my ears I'd re-marry. 

Plus they fall off when you bob your head and are terrible when you are playing air guitar, leap into the air and either get pulled to the ground or snap the wire.

• Like 2

They both have pros and cons.

I'm going to try to duct tape my towers to my head :D

There are certain advantages to this when playing the vinyl record collection. B)

_ iPOD vs vinyl.jpg

post-36163-0-49280000-1436558982_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 4