Existential Audio Crisis

Thaddeus Smith

Guest thesloth

Hello Thaddeus, I appologize for I didn't read through all the posts.

I find that in the circle of friends I have there is really nobody that cares about the audio playback systems they use, nor do they care how much better mine sounds. To be honest most people are tone deaf, today it's all about the bass. The majority of my friends and family have a big box store surround sound which doesn't paint the best picture in my mind when playing back audio, but it has a subwoofer and that is good enough for most people.

Ask yourself if listening to your gear makes you happy. Who cares if others do not enjoy it, it's their loss. Consider yourself to be lucky that you either have good enough hearing to care or you just love music enough to care. Either way if you are happy that's all that matter.

• Like 1

I'm not dissatisfied with what I have.. more so just wondering if I have more than I need.

yes.  we all do.  we need none of it. i don’t think you’ve done anything wrong having all the gear that you do. a killer system in everyone room isn’t necessary. i listen alone most of the time now…and it’s with headphones and my laptop.  The Cornwalls get to breathe if others are around; but, then it’s just as much to show-off as hosting a group listening session.  keep asking yourself these questions---that’s when you grow.

I'm not dissatisfied with what I have.. more so just wondering if I have more than I need.

yes.  we all do.  we need none of it. i don’t think you’ve done anything wrong having all the gear that you do. a killer system in everyone room isn’t necessary. i listen alone most of the time now…and it’s with headphones and my laptop.  The Cornwalls get to breathe if others are around; but, then it’s just as much to show-off as hosting a group listening session.  keep asking yourself these questions---that’s when you grow.

Thanks for posting these thoughts Steve. :)

• Like 1

Unless you need the space for something else, I'd keep your dedicated listening room. And you don't have to have a bunch of stuff and money into it. I've got less than $700 into my 2 channel system and could be happy with that the rest of my life. Not that I don't want to upgrade, I do, but I look at my system more like a tool than "stuff" I own. It's more of an event. I grab a good beer, sit down with some good music and relax. It's very therapeutic. Now if your living room system can do that for you by all means, thin the herd.

It's whatever you make of it really. If it's your passion then pursue it, but like any passion, don't let it get the better of you. 

If you do decide to continue on, look at going fully horn loaded. I've only heard all horns once, a pair of LaScalas in a store for about 20 seconds, and was sold. It's a whole different experience in my opinion.

I've been struggling over the purpose of this second system - the isolation from house and family, wondering if it's selfish to prefer being out here all alone for just music listening, etc.

It affords me uninterrupted listening and no concerns with regard to volume control.

i grew up listening to music with my dad, and my father in law too has a strong passion for music. i always thought that building something like this would be a big draw for them to come out and spend time on a mutual interest, but that just never seems to happen. and that's frustrating.

does no one else ponder such things?

• Like 3

I actually prefer listening alone.  When i’m listening with others, i interrupt the music by talking about how good it sounds or some trivia about the song, album, instrument, or musician. Although, that isn’t a bad thing as then the music served as the hook to some actual dialogue with another person. But as far as pure musical enjoyment -- nothing beats listening alone … and loud.

If you’re spending other time with your family, don’t beat yourself up about your alone time. Your kids, when playing alone, get to exercise their imagination. You seem like the type than can keep things somewhat balanced.

One painful regret that i have … i love basketball and back in the mid-80s, watched every Laker game for seasons.  I didn’t even like my wife talking to me during commercials because i was trying to predict what Pat Riley was going to do after the timeout.  Just thinking about this is practically bringing tears to my eyes…i recall one of my kids walking up to me with a game in her hands and asking me if I’d play…I said, “not now, why don’t you go ask one of your sisters to play.”  Eventually they stop asking…and i literally HATE parts of me. Sure we did fun stuff; but, if you’re messed up like me, it’s the painful memories that remain.

I did incorporate music into my kids life--they heard it all too. I’ve attended Chipmunk Punk concerts (Chipmunks singing rock tunes), took my kids to  see Rick Wakeman, REO Speedwagon, the Guess Who.

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 2

I've been struggling over the purpose of this second system - the isolation from house and family, wondering if it's selfish to prefer being out here all alone for just music listening, etc.

It affords me uninterrupted listening and no concerns with regard to volume control.

i grew up listening to music with my dad, and my father in law too has a strong passion for music. i always thought that building something like this would be a big draw for them to come out and spend time on a mutual interest, but that just never seems to happen. and that's frustrating.

does no one else ponder such things?

Yes grasshopper.  Some of us have been lucky enough to have that one best friend where it is possible to just listen.  It is rare.  BigStew is right.  But it's not selfish anymore than spending all of your spare time working on cars or any other hobby.

• Like 1

I actually prefer listening alone.  When i’m listening with others, i interrupt the music by talking about how good it sounds or some trivia about the song, album, instrument, or musician. Although, that isn’t a bad thing as then the music served as the hook to some actual dialogue with another person. But as far as pure musical enjoyment -- nothing beats listening alone … and loud.

If you’re spending other time with your family, don’t beat yourself up about your alone time. Your kids, when playing alone, get to exercise their imagination. You seem like the type than can keep things somewhat balanced.

One painful regret that i have … i love basketball and back in the mid-80s, watched every Laker game for seasons.  I didn’t even like my wife talking to me during commercials because i was trying to predict what Pat Riley was going to do after the timeout.  Just thinking about this is practically bringing tears to my eyes…i recall one of my kids walking up to me with a game in her hands and asking me if I’d play…I said, “not now, why don’t you go ask one of your sisters to play.”  Eventually they stop asking…and i literally HATE parts of me. Sure we did fun stuff; but, if you’re messed up like me, it’s the painful memories that remain.

I did incorporate music into my kids life--they heard it all too. I’ve attended Chipmunk Punk concerts (Chipmunks singing rock tunes), took my kids to  see Rick Wakeman, REO Speedwagon, the Guess Who.

It as you say is all about incorporating things into your life. As mentioned earlier I have a single system. Sort of the sonic hearth of the home. When company is over, it is playing, same on evenings and especially the weekends with music. When I do listen by myself, I have a half decent pair of headphones (over ear is my favourite). This happens primarily later on weekend evening when my wife is sleeping. She has MS and fatigues.then I can concentrate on the music at appropriate volumes. Everything is a compromise, it is all about finding the sweet spot that works with your living space, lifestyle and tastes. I would find a seperate system in another room just a little too separate for my tastes.

• Like 2