Technics SL-1200 coming back

muel

I saw last year Technics also re-introdued a power amp, control amp, integrated amp and speakers. I would love to hear them. I still have a dozen or so of their pieces and have an SU-V90 integrated in the garage that still rivals most integrateds today. With 120 wpc and .003 THD this is a tough one to beat.

• Like 1

wait a tick OP... all those sl-1200's from the seventies are still working, who the heck is going to buy a $1000 "new" sl-1200?

I love this back handed article comment... "The new SL-1200 is expected in 2016, so you have plenty of time to start buying up overpriced vinyl reissues."

Edited by Schu
  • Like 2

Though I have a VPI prime for serious listening my Pioner plx1000 is completely bad *** and I love it. I had a sl1300 mkii and it was ok. Arm was rewired and all the cool stuff but it was no better then my rega p3. It was cool but not a performer. maybe I had a lemon. The Pioner is the same awesome platform will the the best tweaks and it is some much better than my Orig SL1200 ever was. If you want a awesome SL1200 get the Pionner. The New SL1200 is not an upgrade of the original but a complete reimagining. I have a pipe dream to take my Pionner, get the tone arm adapter from eBay, and use it to install a SME V. That would be amazingly cool.

Edited by justinsweber

I have an SL 1400 MKII that my turntable guru guy says is a better table than the SL 1200 anyway.  With an Ortofon Blue on it, it's a stunner.

I had an SL-1400 MK2 that I was pretty happy with, but the buttons were getting sticky, and I'd read that the later top SL-1200s had better suspension and tonearm wiring.

Accordingly, I bought one of the last 2010 SL-1210M5G Grand Master models.  Naturally, it came without a cartridge, so I pulled the headshell and Shure M97xE from the 1400 and popped it onto the new 1210.  As well, I took the Platter Matter mat from the 1400 and put it on the 1210.

So did it sound the same?  No.  To my happy surprise, the new turntable sounded very noticeably better, even with the same cartridge and mat.  Clearer sound, better bass, things like that.

After a bit, I had the M97 cart fitted to the 1210's own titanium-finished headshell, which looked better, but sounded about the same as the black 1400 headshell.

It seems that the improved suspension and upgraded tonearm wires made audible improvements in the sound.  After all, it only makes sense that the Technics engineers were not sitting on their hands for the twenty-four years between the 1978 release of the SL-1400 MK2 and the 2002 release of the SL-1210M5G.

The 1400 MK2 is a good-looking turntable, while the 1210 looks a bit bland in comparison, even the M5G, but I do like the blue LED cueing light.  To improve its looks, I got a solid walnut cabinet/base for it from KAB, which makes it look more like a premium turntable, and maybe even sound a bit better.

I'm interested to see what the new 2016 turntable will look like. 

KAB

Very good to work with and he has nice mods for the 1200.  

Also, for an alternative to the cabinet for the 1200 you can check with Tom (tk49) here on the forum.  He built a custom cabinet for my Technics table out of Cherry.  Beautiful work!!  He made mine a little deeper because I changed out the stock feet for the Isonoe Footers.