Klipsch Forte II vs Forte I's

Jim

I think forte II's are more forgiving, more plug and play, and less placement specific than forte I's.  IMO, not a night and day improvement but still an improvement.

As far as Heresy I vs Heresy II, I love them both.  My Heresy I's have refreshed crossovers and the CT125 tweeters and my Heresy II's are bone stock.  After I have the HII's crossovers refreshed and add the "Crites Tites", I may finally do an A-B demo.

With all that said, go get both pairs if $$$ allows.

Bill

At first glance the Forte I & II sound very much alike. I was actually selling a pair of I's and II's at the same time once and had a buyer interested in a set. I listed the I's at $300 because they were the I's and plain oak with some wear. I was asking $500 for the II's because, well, they were II's and they were near mint walnut. The buyer brought his own, and very strange music that I had never heard and he insisted on swapping them out back and forth multiple times over I'd say about an hour and a half. We were very careful about exact placement and seating position and after all that time we both agreed that the Forte II was just a bit better overall. He ended up buying the I's from me because he couldn't justify the price difference for a very slight increase in performance.

I'm kinda thinking both pair also, but I still need to get rid of my KG 3.0 Signature Series,and then a set of KG 4.2'S with the Crites upgrades. I don't want to start hoarding speakers at this point, and kids could care less about SQ at this point in their lives so I can't put them in their rooms.

The Forte II's are black ash stained, and the Heresy II are Walnut with black covers. How much of a difference in SQ are the two compared to each other?

The speakers are going to be used for 2 channel,and replacing the 4.2's, but I also thought about getting both sets and then a 2nd set of Heresy's and using them across the front on my HT set up. But then I need to get rid of my towers and center I have for the Heresy replacement to occur.

Unfortunately the KG's are going to be tough to get any real money out of, even with the Crites mods. I typically see the 3's sell for around $125-$150 and maybe a little more for the 4.2's but not much. They're great speakers for what they are. If you still have your stock parts for the 4.2's you might be able to sell the Crites stuff on eBay separately to squeeze out a little more cash or if you're talking titanium tweeter diaphragms they'll swap right over to the Heresy II or Forte II.

A near mint pair of H II's typically sell for around $600 or so and even moderately worn Forte II's will still usually sell for around $400. There's no doubt in my mind that you'd like the Forte II's over all the above mentioned speakers, if you have the room for them. The H II's have the same basic foot print anyway so hard to save space with those over the Forte II.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Having all four of those models I would agree with whoever said......

Not a big enough difference to worry about

Run and get the money and buy

If they are both $350 Forte's 1 or 2 or the Heresy 1 or 2 you can't go wrong with any for that price.

I don't worry about a little ding here or there if they work correctly, unless it would really stand out in your room, and it usually does not.

I have heard both the Forte I and II and would grab either.  I have the Forte I with Crite's XO and I can't imagine messing with them since they sound perfect.  It has be said before, the Forte may be Klipsch best overall balanced speaker made.  Oh, well, back to the music on the Forte's with the tube amp on the RTM thread at this time, lol.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

Jim.

Did you decide on the forte or forte II?  As others have mentioned both are among Klipsch's finest.  I bought mine in 1992 new and have never looked back or felt there was something better that I had to have.  The forte II INMO is the better speaker.  The Tractrix midrange horn provides for a wider soundstage and are therefore more forgiving on placement.  Also I have found that the best placement is 12-18 inches from the rear wall.  Those passive radiators need room to breath.  Any closer and bass is a little boomy for my tastes.  Also others may disagree, but I have found that no toe-in on the speaker sounds best in my environment. 

Best regards,

John

Edited by John Chi-town

John,

I went with the Forte II. Picking them up Saturday, bought them real quick as the guy selling had someone coming over to look at them , so bought site unseen through paypal.

Are you listening to them with SS or tubes? I'm going to use them with tubes and my seating position will be about 9-10 feet from them.

I was going to start also asking others how far out they use theirs from the walls as I have the KG 4.2's about 12-15 inches from the back wall an about 24 inches from the side walls.

Thanks for the iNFO,

Jim

• Like 3

Jim,

Good choice!  Also I forgot to mention that the passive on the forte II is 33% larger than the forte.  15 vs 12 inch.  I use SS gear.  My components are listed below my signature.

Look forward to reading about your impressions once you have listened for a while.

Best regards,

John

Edited by John Chi-town