New Cornwall IIIs vs RF 7IIs

YK Thom

My wife and I just moved into a new condo (high rise style). She loved the look of Klipschorns( although had never heard them- gave me the go ahead for a 2016 purchase.)

Turns out we don't have the proper corners so they are off the table.

Ideally what I want is a full size set of front mains which will also be repurposed as my two channel music speakers.

I am looking for a pair that will eliminate the need for a sub- I'm an adult who like realistic not hyper base, nor do I need a movie to shake my windows out. Don't like the effect.

Love LaScalas and Belles, IMO the most beautiful speakers made by Klipsch aside from the Palladiums. Just find them a very inefficient use of space for sound delivered (IMO a speaker that large should not have to require a sub).

All things being whittled, it is now down to a new pair of Cornwall IIIs or RF 7IIs. Which would you recommend or suggest for an all around speaker?

• Like 1

A CWll would be (in my estimation) a better choice than a CW3. The mid horn on the CW3 is a K701 which is a smaller horn than a K601 used in a CW11. The K601 has a larger mouth for better polar control at lower frequencies than the K701 is capable or the CWll has a lower mid crossover point which is very much desirable.You can drop ti diaphragms into the mid and hi of a CWll. In my opinion the H3 is a real step backward not forward. All of the upgraded Cornwall utilize larger not smaller mid drivers and a K701 is an old expo horn with higher distortion and less extension than the current range of Cornscal loudspeakers. I still believe that the Critis type "D" cornscala is the best option out there with a far better horn and a far better driver.

• Like 2

Well I got a set of palladiums that will best them both buuuut if you have the space I'd rather have the cornwalls myself. Love the punchy bass from the 15" pro woofers. Plus requires less power. Plus you also get the walnut option which would be the only option for me.

If your wanting a home theater out of the deal spending 3-4k on a new set of cornwalls I would highly suggest thinking over my palladiums. Show them to your wife. My wife loves the finish on the but wasn't too sure on the shapes of them. Now she thinks they are the most beautiful speakers she has ever seen. Plus they sound as good as they look in my opinion.

6k and I can ship. We can work out shipping details. Pm me if your interested.

• Like 3

My wife and I just moved into a new condo (high rise style). She loved the look of Klipschorns( although had never heard them- gave me the go ahead for a 2016 purchase.)

Turns out we don't have the proper corners so they are off the table.

Ideally what I want is a full size set of front mains which will also be repurposed as my two channel music speakers.

I am looking for a pair that will eliminate the need for a sub- I'm an adult who like realistic not hyper base, nor do I need a movie to shake my windows out. Don't like the effect.

Love LaScalas and Belles, IMO the most beautiful speakers made by Klipsch aside from the Palladiums. Just find them a very inefficient use of space for sound delivered (IMO a speaker that large should not have to require a sub).

All things being whittled, it is now down to a new pair of Cornwall IIIs or RF 7IIs. Which would you recommend or suggest for an all around speaker?

Just build 4x4 foot false corners and make them pretty. PWK put out the plans in the Dope from Hope, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that he had TWO false corners in his living room at home when I was there to hear his recordings. This will allow you to place them wherever you like.

• Like 3

While there are certainly other choices as you can see from the responses you've gotten, the coice between CW's and the 7's would come down to your preference between the Heritage (CW) sound and Reference. Personally, for 2 ch listening, I go with Heritage every time. Probably not so for Home Theater. Very happy wth our CW III's in the 2 ch system.

You moved into a high rise condo in a town with a population of  21,000?

Yes, a very nice tower in the centre of downtown. My office is two blocks away and my wife's office moved to a just built building directly across the street. The lobbies even line up!

http://www.yknorthernheights.ca

Although the he population number is low it is the capital of the territory and has a very city like feel. The lands surrounding the original city limits have been tied up in land claims for years so the city is quite concentrated- and expensive.

Just build 4x4 foot false corners and make them pretty. PWK put out the plans in the Dope from Hope, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that he had TWO false corners in his living room at home when I was there to hear his recordings. This will allow you to place them wherever you like.

They would just take up far too much real estate. As it is a condo all the living is in the living room. If I had the corners they would work.

The RF 7 II are very smooth and the footprint is smaller.  For music a pair of LaScala would be my choice over Cornwall and a small sub since you are not going for ULF.  You really need to try and hear a few  of these speakers being suggested.

As space is the big concern I'm looking for efficiencies. The LaScalas/sub just take too much. There is only room for one set of speakers which will be hooked up to the TV and DVD and used for music as well in two channel mode. I'm hoping to be able to free myself from a sub. I'm leaning towards the RFs as the floor footprint is not much different than what the stands for my RB 61IIs take up. I haven't heard the Cornwall or 7s. Just operating on the specs and using my current Reference bookshelves as the metric. They sound great, but of course require a sub.

As an RF 7  owner, it is a good speakers for 2 ch and TV.  Excellent in the bass department.  I have the Heritage sound from Fortes and love these as much as the RF 7's.  This is a smaller speaker that the Cornwall but, is a very complete speaker and would work well in a condo.  The Forte's are not bass shy by any means and is one of Klipsch best overall balanced speaker.

• Like 1

They would just take up far too much real estate. As it is a condo all the living is in the living room. If I had the corners they would work.

Up against a wall, you could make 1/2 of one out of a fraction of a sheet of 3/4 Oak Plywood and attach to rear. One corner and one wall for this other one is all you would need. Made my Khorns work in several different homes that way. 

Up against a wall, you could make 1/2 of one out of a fraction of a sheet of 3/4 Oak Plywood and attach to rear. One corner and one wall for this other one is all you would need. Made my Khorns work in several different homes that way. 

Wouldn't it vibrate?

As an RF 7  owner, it is a good speakers for 2 ch and TV.  Excellent in the bass department.  I have the Heritage sound from Fortes and love these as much as the RF 7's.  This is a smaller speaker that the Cornwall but, is a very complete speaker and would work well in a condo.  The Forte's are not bass shy by any means and is one of Klipsch best overall balanced speaker.

In the end they may be the way to go. Palladiums are a bit out of reach. We have an audio video shop here that is a Klipsch dealer and I could order through him. Because of my location, used are not really an option. Very unlikely to find them here and our nearest big city is Edmonton which is about a 19 hour drive or two hour flight south. The shipping would kill me. My attention was directed to these two models because of them being full sized and in current production.

They look very nice in the wood veneer and would go with the hardwood flooring.

You have a couple of opinions to your question.  Knowing that you didn't open up the conversation to other choices, I only offer the following for reference, only.

If it were me...

1. I'd buy two Klipsch Belles in good condition (i.e., pretty veneer) with refreshed capacitors in their crossovers. There are houses that will ship these - I'd talk to Greg at Volti Audio (in Maine) on how to do that without it costing your first born.

2. Depending on the size of your listening room and whether or not it has closable doors all around, I'd look for a fairly large diameter woofer (or woofers) in a subwoofer cabinet with ultra-linear drivers having overhung voice coil designs. I'd make sure that my preamp will handle the bass management duties, and buy an amplifier with a DSP front end to drive the sub.  Some subs come powered, although that wouldn't be my first choice, it would be acceptable.  I'd set up the Belles for good imaging performance and place the sub in or near a corner (any corner), and use my preamp to do the time alignment of the sub to the Belles.

If your room were a bit larger than most small listening rooms, I'd look at either a Danley DTS-20 or a DTS-SPUD for one corner of the room.

3. I'd wait for the "new" to wear off (...a few months), and then I'd buy two K-510 horns, two BMS 4592ND drivers, and a Xilica XP2040 crossover, and find two more low-power stereo amplifiers (Crown D75As work well enough for midrange and woofer duties and they're cheap on ebay or craigslist).   I'd then use remove the top hat of both Belles and fashion a nice looking baffle for the K-510s and BMS 4592ND drivers.  I'd tri-amp those JuBelles (initial crossover settings are on this forum) and time align with the sub.  Then I'd have a big smile on my face.

4. After that new wears off, I'd be looking around for perhaps better amplifiers or K-402s, depending on the WAF constraints.

JMTC.

Chris

• Like 2

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/47517-forward-air-ratesholy-double-the-price-cornwall-crate/#entry449232

For reference.  Greg at Volti Audio is the guy named greg928gts in the above posting.

Seeing as these are both current models it may be worthwhile taking a trip and listening to your selections at a dealer rather than choosing one or the other and not being happy with your choice.

I agree with Claude also, if you are happy with your current K horns, false corners are the next best alternative and would save you some cash in the process.

My guess and only a guess is that if you like the K horns the Cornwall 3's would probably a better choice than the 7's in your situation as you have grown accustomed to the heritage sound, they are great sounding loudspeakers.

If LaScala's or Belles are an option you can always have a horn loaded sub made to fit into your space by disguising as a audio rack, TV stand, coffee table, side table or whatever your space could use. Don't rule out the option just because you don't think you have the space, in my opinion it would be the best sounding option unless you wanted to go all out.

Have you considered Heresy III's using smaller subs as risers? :unsure: