Forte II sound harsh

Kenneky

I am in the same situation. I purchased some Forte II's about 3 weeks ago and they seem very harsh to me also.. I get listening fatigue quick. I have to turn the treble almost all the way down on my amp to get them to be listenable. . I wanted to do the Crites upgrades but I am worried that it would get worse.. I have never had another pair speakers that were as harsh.. almost seems like the tweeter is crossed too low or something..

the tweeter diaphragm is where you should look to see if they are poly or Titanium -- the stock klipsch were poly  although there some new titanium units that some call pretty harsh -    open them up to see what you got

I'm listening to my Fort'e1s (titanium tweets) right now, powered by a Yamaha AVR , SC1 and S Sides, no harshness etc at all. Actually, I was flipping around and found a classical music concert ststion on the internet and I just had to stop and listen, again hearing awesome music I had forgotten they were capable of with them serving as TV room speakers. 

They are not even placed all that well either.

I ordered titanium tweeter diaphragms and crossover kit from Bob Crites.

the poly are not as harsh as the titanium - IMHO

are you talking about the black shiny thin poly diaphragms as used in the KLF20/30 if so those sound like crap at any kind of level you may simply be one of those folks who happens to be very muvh intollerant of ti break up modes in that case look to up grade to a tweeter or mid driver with an aluminum diaphragm or perhaps some of the newer hybrid film diaphragms.

the tweeter diaphragm is where you should look to see if they are poly or Titanium -- the stock klipsch were poly  although there some new titanium units that some call pretty harsh -    open them up to see what you got

how can you tell if they are ploy or titanium just by looking at them once taken apart?

Well, here's the final result. After removing both tweeters and measuring an "open", (I swore the right one measured close to 8 ohms from the output of the crossover but I might have flexed the terminals while removing the tweeter.)I installed both titanium tweets from Bob Crites. Wow! What a difference( maybe not so surprising since at least the left tweeter was definitely blown ) sounds great! Today I removed both crossovers and replaced the caps with the kit from Crites. Listening tonight, not certain if there is any difference. I measured the capacitance and esr value using an RCL meter at work and all of the caps were in tolerance except the woofer caps ( bipolar electrolytics) which measured about 96uf as compared to 110uf nominal but esr was OK, all caps about .08 ohms. Certain passages momentarily can seam harsh, but immensely improved from before(day and night). Overall very happy!

Kenneky,

I haven't installed the Titanium diaphrams into the speakers yet. How much of a difference did you hear sonically with them vs the old? Did you leave the working one in to test against the other one?

I've been a little busy to do it on my end, but need to try it out.

Moray James was also saying something about using an upgraded Aluminum to drop down the brightness. I'm also contemplating that if the ti don't work out, although they sound better after adjusting J-River for my digital side. They are fine with vinyl and the cd player straight.

Edited by Jim

I did leave the old one in and do a compare. I noticed more presence, little brighter with the titanium. Smooth also. I'm not sure though if the other tweeter was on its way out. I do like the titanium so far. Only have listened to about 3-4 songs. I'll update as time goes on. Thanx everybody for your input :-)

• Like 1

play them long and play them loud and they will relax smooth out open up and settle in as quickly as possible for you. If you like what the ti tweeter diaphragms do for your speakers you will love what the ti mid diaphragms will do as they take theses loudspeakers to a whole new level of performance. Enjoy.

• 1 month later...

Thought I would chime in.  I bought a pair in July.  Too echo some, the tractrix midrange is the real deal and turn these into a stone cold bargain in the world of hi fi.  I put mine fairly close to the corners 10" or so.  Have them toed out from the listening position to where I can see that they are pointed just to the side of my ears ( can see inner wall of speaker).  They are supremely sensitive to what you give them, replay what signal is given.  They are spooky good!  The only knock I have on them; In my room, with my electronics :) they sound better when turned up a touch to get the woofers moving a bit 85-90db.  Lower volume listening is fine, but they aren't great until I nudge the volume up to where drums and stringed bass sound correct.  Bottom line, one of the best bargains in all of audio!