Hard decision between RF82 and RP280 (Update)

grandcarrera

I wonder how much of that is due to the break-in period, or lack thereof.
im betting none. i liked the towers and bookshelves all right out of the box. the first 450c i had back in january i had hooked up for a couple months and it never got any better. 

For example I didn't much like my RS-62ii's at first but now I think they sound great, at least way better than when I first got them
might be more of an ear adjustment to them vs them actually breaking in?

I've also heard some bookshelves I thought were veiled but I know you've had the same ones for awhile and really like them.
you talking about the rp-160's?? 

you talking about the rp-160's??

Yeah, they actually sounded nice, but were pretty flat in a more THX kind of way as compared to the towers, I didn't think they had the signature Klipsch coloration which I figured you would expect. Just wondering if that changes with time.

might be more of an ear adjustment to them vs them actually breaking in?

Maybe, I feel that I'm pretty sensitive with voices though, and these sound nice on voices. I realize it's not very often that voices come across surround speakers but I notice it when they do. Sandra Bullock on Gravity for example. Some of the stuff coming through these surrounds sound more natural than my RC-64ii in my opinion.

I'm interested in the new RP line and this thread is fascinating.

Had anybody heard all of the Reference lines??

I really liked the first three generations, but Ref IV and Ref V(Reference II) did not click with me. The midrange is too distant and highs and lows seem exaggerated.

Can anybody tell me if the RP line is more similar to the earlier RF lines or the later ones?

Had anybody heard all of the Reference lines??
ive owned every model in ref gen 4, 5, and every reference premiere model. i have heard the rf-7's. but they are the only ones. oh and rb-25's. have a pair of those right now but have never hooked them up since i got them. haven't had time.  :wacko: 

The midrange is too distant and highs and lows seem exaggerated.
you would be the first person i know that things the gen 4 and 5 highs were exaggerated compared to the rf-7. it is the only speaker i know of that just about every owner that has a set had to modify for them to be able to tolerate them.

Can anybody tell me if the RP line is more similar to the earlier RF lines or the later ones?

you would be the first person i know that things the gen 4 and 5 highs were exaggerated compared to the rf-7. it is the only speaker i know of that just about every owner that has a set had to modify for them to be able to tolerate them.

No, I had the same problem with the RF-7s. I meant to compare to the RF-3 and RF-35.

As of right now I think i will spend 300$ more for RP280, but this weekend i will go listen to it in the store again before i pick it up. 

if so the matching center to the rf-82ii (rc-62ii) is in my opinion a better center than the one that matches the RP-280

You don't think that RP-450c is not as good as rc-62ii?

what do you think about R-115SW ? the sale man try to convince me to go with SVS for the subwoofer. 

Edited by grandcarrera

As of right now I think i will spend 300$ more for RP280, but this weekend i will go listen to it in the store again before i pick it up.

if so the matching center to the rf-82ii (rc-62ii) is in my opinion a better center than the one that matches the RP-280

You don't think that RP-450c is not as good as rc-62ii?

what do you think about R-115SW ? the sale man try to convince me to go with SVS for the subwoofer.

yes I think the 62ii is better. Read my posts again. I explained exactly why.

And as for the 115. It's a good sub but downers on how much you are paying for it. Where ae you located at? Which Svs was he talking you into

You don't think that RP-450c is not as good as rc-62ii?

yes I think the 62ii is better. Read my posts again. I explained exactly why.

And as for the 115. It's a good sub but downers on how much you are paying for it. Where ae you located at? Which Svs was he talking you into

I'm in Spokane, Washington.

I think I will get RP-450c to match with the system.

If I plan to add Atmos speaker(RP-140SA) later on should I go with RP-450CA, would it be that much different in performance with the  RP-450CA ? 

I think I will get RP-450c to match with the system.

If I plan to add Atmos speaker(RP-140SA) later on should I go with RP-450CA, would it be that much different in performance with the  RP-450CA ?

Primarily what you're paying for is the nicer real wood veneer vs. the vinyl stuff. It's significantly nicer.

I am in Seattle. If you were closer, I'd let you come over and check out my RP system.

Oh, contact the guy above this post for killer pricing on Klipsch products, he even ships to WA;)

Edited by K5SS

If you aren't getting the 280's with built in atmos then you DO NOT NEED THE 450CA!!! It's the exact same center but extra money for real wood veneer. No reason to get that when your towers won't have the same thing. If you plan on adding atmos down the road for the front I highly suggest just saving a bit more money and getting the atmos towers. Nicer finish and better module built in! Sending you a Pm.

I've owned several of the last gen reference series. RF52II's, RC52II's, RB51II's, RB61II's, RC62II, RF62II, etc..... I also have heard the 280F and I would take that over the 82II. Smoother on the upper end. I was very impressed. If starting out now I would go with the 280FA and jump into the atmos world. I'm having a hard time not doing that now but can't justify it financially atm. I think I'm getting bored with my system? Do any of you ever feel like this? I have a great setup but want to try something different. I'm even thinking of some LaScala II's and ditching the 7's. Am I going nuts lol?

If you aren't getting the 280's with built in atmos then you DO NOT NEED THE 450CA!!! It's the exact same center but extra money for real wood veneer. No reason to get that when your towers won't have the same thing. If you plan on adding atmos down the road for the front I highly suggest just saving a bit more money and getting the atmos towers. Nicer finish and better module built in! Sending you a Pm.

Yes, this. Normal 280's with Atmos modules paired with the 450CA center wouldn't make any sense. It's only for matching the finish on the 280FA atmos towers, which look WAY better than the 280's with the modules sitting on top. The performance of the Atmos functionality on the 280FA's should be much better as well, you're just not gaining anything that I'm aware of performance wise with that 450CA center.

I took some real life pics of the towers in walnut, look in the home theater section, search for "drool session". :)

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I've owned several of the last gen reference series. RF52II's, RC52II's, RB51II's, RB61II's, RC62II, RF62II, etc..... I also have heard the 280F and I would take that over the 82II. Smoother on the upper end. I was very impressed. If starting out now I would go with the 280FA and jump into the atmos world. I'm having a hard time not doing that now but can't justify it financially atm. I think I'm getting bored with my system? Do any of you ever feel like this? I have a great setup but want to try something different. I'm even thinking of some LaScala II's and ditching the 7's. Am I going nuts lol?

I do this all the time but I try to hone in on what I perceive to be the weakest link. I can't say that I'm unhappy with my RF-7ii's and can't see parting with them any time soon. There's much bigger fish to fry.

Sounds like you are considering an Atmos HT complete with new towers. In that instance, since you're starting fresh, take your time & build it as budget allows. Rather than RP-280F towers with add-on RP-140SA's at a later date... save & get the RP-280FA's (with integrated Atmos speaker). The Atmos speaker with the 280FA is a better offering than the 140SA (add-on). And the difference in (msrp) is only $200 for the better option. Money well spent (especially long term).

And, as mentioned the RP-450C would be a good consideration. But, no need for the RP-450CA, unless your towers are also Walnut (the RP-450C & the RP-450CA are the same speaker with different finishes). There's no such thing as an Atmos Center speaker.

Edited by Nismo