College Football Payoff predictions

DizRotus

The Army Navy game will have to suffice for a football fix this coming weekend.  I'll be pulling for Army, but it's extremely unlikely the Cadets will win their second game this century.  More than three whole classes have passed through West Point without once defeating Navy.  An occasional victory for the rival is good for a healthy rivalry.

• Moderators

If the Heisman voters had any balls, they would award the trophy to Christian McCaffrey.

+1 on that, except he is a Sophmore so there is that.

Broke Barry Sanders' record for total all purpose yards, nearly 6.yars per carry, 41 receptions, and a red letter day for the final game of the season.

• Like 1

My ring knocker brother (USNA '75) will root for Navy, but he wouldn't begrudge Army an isolated upset crumb. The beauty of what I believe is the best college football rivalry is that no matter how intense on the gridiron, after the game they're all brothers and sisters willing to put themselves in harm's way to protect us all.

When my brother went to the SoS to buy the plate for his new toy, the woman couldn't believe that "GO NAVY" was available. My brother figures the prior owner must have gone to his or her reward.

post-6832-0-21380000-1449669053_thumb.jp

Edited by DizRotus

Only two Sophmores have won the Heisman all time. Do you know who they were?

I haven't looked it up yet.  I bet Archie Griffith from Ohio State is one (he won two) and the other, maybe Hershall Walker, GA?

+++

Edit:  OK, I just looked it up.  It seems I'm as good at answering the Heisman question as I am picking pre-season #1 teams.  :rolleyes:

+++

The ultimate trick Heisman question would have been "how many juniors have won?"  That's a trick question because the 2005 winner Reggie Bush voluntarily gave up the trophy due to the scandal of his agent giving him money and gifts, so instead of giving the trophy to someone else the winner was vacated.

+++

Can you name any of the 3 Heisman Trophy winners who were picked #1 overall in the NFL draft AND are NFL Hall of Famers?  The first guy won in 1956, the next guy in the '60's, the last guy in the '70's.

Edited by wvu80

Winning the Heisman is almost a left handed compliment, given some of the prior recipients.  Who can forget Andre Ware and Eric Crouch, or was it Andrae Crouch and the Disciples?

After consulting Wikipedia, it's doubtful that many can identify all three sophomore recipients without looking.  I know I could not have done so.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

• Moderators

I haven't looked it up yet. I bet Archie Griffith from Ohio State is one (he won two) and the other, maybe Hershall Walker, GA?

I have not looked yet either, but I think Archie Griffin won it as a Jr and Sr, unless maybe he didn't redshirt freshman year and they consider that a soohmore?

My recollection is that all of the Sophmores and the Freshman were in about the last 10 years. Lately the Heisman has been a curse, a ticket to big, big early money and a quite, thus far, disappointing early start.

The only Sophmores I think I can name is Tim Tebow.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I haven't looked it up yet. I bet Archie Griffith from Ohio State is one (he won two) and the other, maybe Hershall Walker, GA?

+++

Edit: OK, I just looked it up. It seems I'm as good at answering the Heisman question as I am picking pre-season #1 teams. :rolleyes:

+++

The ultimate trick Heisman question would have been "how many juniors have won?" That's a trick question because the 2005 winner Reggie Bush voluntarily gave up the trophy due to the scandal of his agent giving him money and gifts, so instead of giving the trophy to someone else the winner was vacated.

+++

Can you name any of the 3 Heisman Trophy winners who were picked #1 overall in the NFL draft AND are NFL Hall of Famers? The first guy won in 1956, the next guy in the '60's, the last guy in the '70's.

Oj was a 1/1 is he still in HOF or that could be a trick question too, but as far as I know still in the Hall.

People in Austin pretty much allknow that the Tyler Rose is a 1/1 and in the Hall

So 50s, a guess, Doalk Walker.

• Like 1

Can you name any of the 3 Heisman Trophy winners who were picked #1 overall in the NFL draft AND are NFL Hall of Famers? The first guy won in 1956, the next guy in the '60's, the last guy in the '70's.

Oj was a 1/1 is he still in HOF or that could be a trick question too, but as far as I know still in the Hall.

Ding Ding Ding!

People in Austin pretty much allknow that the Tyler Rose is a 1/1 and in the Hall

Who the heck is Tyler Rose?  :huh:

Good guess on Doak from 1948, but I was going for a Notre Dame man.

Edited by wvu80

• Moderators

Ding Ding Ding!

Who the heck is Tyler Rose? :huh:

Good guess on Doak from 1948, but I was going for a Notre Dame man.

Earl "The Tyler Rose" Campbell

He won the trophy, I have seen his and the school's, he is in the hall of fame, I just don't know for sure if Houston had a No. 1 pick when they drafted him.

Earl "The Tyler Rose" Campbell He won the trophy, I have seen his and the school's, he is in the hall of fame, I just don't know for sure if Houston had a No. 1 pick when they drafted him.

Apologies for my abject ignorance.  Of course you're right about Earl Campbell.  This is the only Tyler Rose I could find on the internet:

Rose-Tyler-rose-tyler-1082353_1024_768.j

News doesn't travel very fast to West Virginia.  :rolleyes:

JL-

We must put a friendly wager on the upcoming game.  If the Tide wins, I'll send you a liter of Reg Williamson record cleaner (see: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/155914-bjesus-a-miracleby-dizrotus/).  If the Spartans prevail, you need only send me Nick Saban's head on a platter. ;-)  Or, feel free to suggest better alternatives,. especially if you aren't into vinyl or decapitation.   I'm talking straight up win, none of that point spread nonsense.

Yes, this was essentially also posted in "Coffee, Cables . . . "