College Football Payoff predictions

DizRotus

Stanford helped the committee, but OKSt did not. As of Tuesday evening, I predict the following CFP rankings:

1. Clemson;

2. Alabama;

3. Iowa; and

4. Oklahoma.

Michigan State will be waiting in the wings. The winner of the B1G game in Indy on Saturday is almost certain to be in. If the winner is MSU, the committe's job is more difficult. OSU and Iowa would join the other worthy 1 loss teams hoping for the last spot.

Things would get real murky were North Carolina to upset Clemson, or Florida were to defeat Alabama next week. Very interesting.

Edited by DizRotus

Who is the committee?

JJK

College Football Playoff committee.

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/selection-committee-faqs

This is the second year for the CFP committee.  It used to be that #1 would play #2 for the championship, but then #3 would always complain they got shafted by being left out of the championships.

Now a committee of 13 (maybe 12, not sure) ranks 25, the top four make the "playoffs."  Team #1 plays #4, #2 plays #3 in one of the usual New Years Day bowls.  Then there is a "plus one" game a week later for the national championship.

The committee has fixed the problem so now #5 complains they got shafted.  :rolleyes:

Stanford helped the committee, but OKSt did not. As of Tuesday evening, I predict the following CFP rankings:

1. Clemson;

2. Alabama;

3. Iowa; and

4. Oklahoma.

I'm going to guess the committee will shake things up, just like they did last year when Ohio State was impressive late and snuck in. 

Clemson had a "bad" win over a poor 3-9 opponent, Oklahoma looked like a juggernaut against a top ten opponent.  I'm predicting the committee will pick:

1. Alabama (one loss was to a ranked opponent and they are playing good now)

2. Oklahoma (one loss was to an un-ranked opponent, but they are playing great now)

3. Clemson (nothing wrong with 11-0, they just look OK against inferior opponents, ie they aren't getting any "style" points)

4.  Iowa (undefeated with a low scoring offense ranked 41st, total offense 58th) but will be replaced by eventual Big 10 winner and 1-loss Mich State which is playing great right now.) 

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Condy Rice knows football, great negotiator, if Stanford beats USC handedly look for them to move way, way up.

Iowa isn't a draw, if they don't win big, I think their out. The Committee last year was unimpressed by undefeated teams with weeker schedules. There was a lot of outrage last year about OSU, but the Committee had the last laugh.

I am trying to remember what the rankings were the week prior to the final selections last year, but it was clear after the final selections that you cannot take anything for granted, and everything is up for grabs.

The big ten championship should be a great game and I can't imagine Michigan State not getting in if they win that game.  My lions got embarrassed in that game, but I've come to expect that after the last couple of years. 

I thought about going to this game, but I found out it was sold out. 

I sure would like to see the "video" of the "committee" making their decisions. To me a committee making the decisions is absurd. It should be a playoff between conference champions of each conference. Done deal.

JJK

Too logical.  Where's the money in that?  Because it is about the money.

• Like 1

If the Tide wins it all this year then what?

Does anybody here think Iowa can stay on the field with Alabama? 

Looks like we'll never know.  :(

+++

I'd like to see the teams ranked like this:

1. Clemson (because the committee has put them at the top, for some unknown reason)

2. Alabama (doesn't matter as long as they and OK are not ranked 2-3)

3. Doesn't matter

4. Oklahoma

That way the two best teams will face each other in the final.  :)