New (to me) Book

Wolfbane

Try The Forgotten Soldier

I believe you are referring to a Frenchman named Guy Sajer (Sajer being either his nom de plum or nom de guerre) who served in the German Army during WWII? If so, I read a book years ago called Soldat that he wrote that may be the same book.

• Like 1

I believe you are referring to a Frenchman named Guy Sajer (Sajer being either his nom de plum or nom de guerre) who served in the German Army during WWII? If so, I read a book years ago called Soldat that he wrote that may be the same book.

Yes & I think you are correct, as far as same book.

Yes & I think you are correct, as far as same book.

If so, it was a great read. The author, even if he came from Alsace Lorraine, would have been less than welcome back in post war France.

• Like 1

Perhaps, but claimed to have been conscripted into the French army after the war. I'm sure stranger things happened.

Most likely 'joined' the Foreign Legion after the war usually arranged by a Magistrate.

Lost its cachet some after Vietnam and North Africa. Its one thing to march and die and another to be living like a rat in an underground Hell listening to the Viet Minh tunneling closer every night.

• Like 1

Found this in very good condition after looking for it off and on for years:

200px-The_Willing_Flesh.jpg

Same author survived and wrote the story of the German retreat from the Taman Bridgehead during WWII. The subsequent movie was directed by Sam Peckinpah:

Cross-of-Iron.jpg

Are you a collector then? Where'd you find it? What made it rare and desirable? Cost a lot? Or, just heard to find?

We don't get many book threads!

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Found this in very good condition after looking for it off and on for years:

200px-The_Willing_Flesh.jpg

Same author survived and wrote the story of the German retreat from the Taman Bridgehead during WWII. The subsequent movie was directed by Sam Peckinpah:

Cross-of-Iron.jpg

Are you a collector then? Where'd you find it? What made it rare and desirable? Cost a lot? Or, just heard to find?

We don't get many book threads!

I collect nothing and only accumulate 'junk' according to the wife. That applies to everything that occupies space in my home, garage, shed, etc. I have accumulated a pretty extensive history and military history library which is more than 99% non-fiction as I make of point of reading for pleasure every day I can. This particular book is a 1956 1st Edition and has been something I've wanted since seeing the movie Cross of Iron in the late 1970's. The author is believed to have lived through service in Russia as essentially the character 'Corporal Steiner' in the movie.

The price on the one I found in Texas was quite reasonable considering the age of the book and the demand for a 1st edition v. a limited supply.  :D

I don't expect to sell any of my books in my lifetime and I suspect the large number will be a concern for my future heirs who are all female. The wife has stated a number of times that before she calls for a meat wagon for me she'll arrange for a dumpster for all my 'stuff'. I recommend that an appraisal might be a good idea before she starts tossing.  ;)

A better investment would probably be the lavishly produced Napoleon Biography written and self-published by Proctor Patterson Jones shown below:

71H02Q9MYXL._SY473_BO1,204,203,200_.gif

Thanks for the details Wolfbane. I can appreciate your interest. I have some literary interest in war also, but my clear preference is the novel, or historical novel. My favorite of the Napoleanic era was "War and Peace." I was fascinated with Tolstoy's theories of history.

Good luck in your hunt! I enjoyed seeing this thread and learning about those books!