Minimum wage. Should it be $15?

mustang guy

Ayn Rand

Of all the people on postage stamps, Ayn Rand is probably the only one to have thought that the United States government has no business delivering mail. In her central pronouncement of political belief—the character John Galt’s radio address, which begins on page 1,000 of Rand’s 1957 novel, “Atlas Shrugged”—allowance is made for the state to run an army, a police force, and courts, but that’s it.

Most readers make their first and last trip to Galt’s Gulch—the hidden-valley paradise of born-again capitalists featured in “Atlas Shrugged,” its solid-gold dollar sign standing like a Maypole—sometime between leaving Middle-earth and packing for college. Only a handful become lifetime followers of Objectivism, Rand’s codified philosophy, which holds that reality exists as something concrete and external, not created by God or by a person’s consciousness; that emotions derive from ideas; and that self-interest rather than altruism is man’s ethical ideal.

seventy-seven. This month, the first two full-length biographies of her that were not written by disciples or apostates of her movement (some would say cult) are making their appearance. These objective looks at the first Objectivist, Anne C. Heller’s “Ayn Rand and the World She Made” (Doubleday; $35) and Jennifer Burns’s “Goddess of the Market: Ayn Rand and the American Right” (Oxford; $27.95), have different strengths and a shared weakness. Heller, a journalist and magazine editor, does the better job of dealing with Rand’s early life in Russia and her later personal dramas. Burns, a professor of history, more ably situates Rand within and against the world of American conservatism. Both biographers overestimate, Heller more seriously, the literary achievement of their subject, whose intellectual genre fiction puts her in the crackpot pantheon of L. Frank Baum and L. Ron Hubbard; it is no closer to the canon of serious American novels than Galt’s Gulch is to Brook Farm.

And so on....

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

I don't think anyone else is getting a rise from this.  What's the point of disparaging Ayn Rand?  If she's a loon, then, so are her "disciples?"  Ergo:  Don't be a Rand disciple?

Edited by Jeff Matthews

Production of cell phones climbs every month.

New money comes into the economy reach month.

Divide the money by the number of cell phones sold each month and see what the price is.

Can you do that? Here, let me do it for you.

10 phones and 100 dollars makes the price $10 each

100 phones and 1000 dollars makes the price $10 each

500 phones and $5000 dollars makes the price $10 each

Gee, how can that be true when $4990 is NEW MONEY?

The equation has TWO terms, not one!

Growth means that production constantly rises.

Divide the money by the number of cell phones sold each month and see what the price is.

Are you showing how we expatriate our dollars to China in exchange for junk?  China increases production, and we toss our money into a decaying pile of junk?

Are you showing how we expatriate our dollars to China in exchange for junk? China increases production, and we toss our money into a decaying pile of junk?

No. I'm showing you that just adding money to the economy doesn't create economic inflation.

Money and the quantity of goods keep rising in a growth economy.

Ayn Rand

Of all the people on postage stamps, Ayn Rand is probably the only one to have thought that the United States government has no business delivering mail. In her central pronouncement of political belief—the character John Galt’s radio address, which begins on page 1,000 of Rand’s 1957 novel, “Atlas Shrugged”—allowance is made for the state to run an army, a police force, and courts, but that’s it.

Most readers make their first and last trip to Galt’s Gulch—the hidden-valley paradise of born-again capitalists featured in “Atlas Shrugged,” its solid-gold dollar sign standing like a Maypole—sometime between leaving Middle-earth and packing for college. Only a handful become lifetime followers of Objectivism, Rand’s codified philosophy, which holds that reality exists as something concrete and external, not created by God or by a person’s consciousness; that emotions derive from ideas; and that self-interest rather than altruism is man’s ethical ideal.

seventy-seven. This month, the first two full-length biographies of her that were not written by disciples or apostates of her movement (some would say cult) are making their appearance. These objective looks at the first Objectivist, Anne C. Heller’s “Ayn Rand and the World She Made” (Doubleday; $35) and Jennifer Burns’s “Goddess of the Market: Ayn Rand and the American Right” (Oxford; $27.95), have different strengths and a shared weakness. Heller, a journalist and magazine editor, does the better job of dealing with Rand’s early life in Russia and her later personal dramas. Burns, a professor of history, more ably situates Rand within and against the world of American conservatism. Both biographers overestimate, Heller more seriously, the literary achievement of their subject, whose intellectual genre fiction puts her in the crackpot pantheon of L. Frank Baum and L. Ron Hubbard; it is no closer to the canon of serious American novels than Galt’s Gulch is to Brook Farm.

And so on....

I don't think anyone else is getting a rise from this. What's the point of disparaging Ayn Rand? If she's a loon, then, so are her "disciples?" Ergo: Don't be a Rand disciple?

Did you miss all the Ayn Rand posts then?

Are you showing how we expatriate our dollars to China in exchange for junk? China increases production, and we toss our money into a decaying pile of junk?

No. I'm showing you that just adding money to the economy doesn't create economic inflation.

Money and the quantity of goods keep rising in a growth economy.

I know.  I agree with this over the longer-term. However, I have heard about how inelasticity of supply (maybe difficulties ramping up production, acquiring resources, etc.) can cause a lag.  But if we are talking about foreign suppliers ramping up, this is not much consolation.

Ayn Rand

And so on....

I don't think anyone else is getting a rise from this. What's the point of disparaging Ayn Rand? If she's a loon, then, so are her "disciples?" Ergo: Don't be a Rand disciple?

Did you miss all the Ayn Rand posts then?

I do seem to recall there were some.  So, the point of the article was, "She's a loon, and you are, too?"

Whatever you get, buy the extended warranty.  None of them last like they used to.  We bought a Maytag washer dryer set a few years ago and have had zero problems...

The problem with todays appliances is that they are only as good as their circuit boards.  Which are probably all made in the same place.  I just found out today I need two dishwashers.  One is a couple of years old.  The other lasted 31 years.  This is Jeff's happy world of globalization.

I bought a washer today. After asking around I learned of a guy that actually builds them locally by himself. An entrepreneur of sorts. He touts his machine as an appliance of the future, an item that will be in every working persons home in the near future. A machine that will compete head-to-head with anything imported from other countries. There are no electronics involved which will improve reliability and negate the extra cost of extended warranties. I included a picture so that y'all can see you're future.

If anyone is interested in obtaining one of these futuristic devices just let me know. The guy has no contact information, he lives off the grid in a van down by the river.

Well you do live in Alabama...

Yeah, but I try not to brag about it too much.

Keith

• Like 2

After 36 pages the people that earn $7.25 an hour will wake up and go to work tomorrow and still earn $7.25 an hour. Maybe next we could all walk around with signs saying something like "WE DEMAND $15 AN HOUR OR WE'RE ACTUALLY GOING TO DO SOMETHING".

Keith

• Moderators

The concept is more money in circulation.

One last time. There is a formula which won Milton Friedman a Nobel Prize. Please look it up to gain a more than simplistic idea of inflation.

I'm only asking because if there is to be a discussion using economic terms, it is far better for everyone if they speak the same language.

What is the fun in that? It would make it so people cannot repeat what they heard the night before on cable news.

The effort to read a noted authority on economic science, and make up one's own mind about whether it holds water would result in becoming informed.

It is easier to reside in "the bubble."

The concept is more money in circulation.

One last time. There is a formula which won Milton Friedman a Nobel Prize. Please look it up to gain a more than simplistic idea of inflation.

I'm only asking because if there is to be a discussion using economic terms, it is far better for everyone if they speak the same language.

What is the fun in that? It would make it so people cannot repeat what they heard the night before on cable news.

The effort to read a noted authority on economic science, and make up one's own mind about whether it holds water would result in becoming informed.

It is easier to reside in "the bubble."

When I try to convince people of something I think is worthy authority, I don't say, "Go read this and learn something."  I tell them what I expect it to say, and why it is relevant.  Don't you do the same when in your practice?  I assume you can see the value of that approach.  I realize this is not a motion for summary judgment or a brief on appeal, but it's still an argument, and somebody is still claiming an opinion or fact is supported by authority.  How about being articulate, concise and descriptive?

Along similar lines, I think theorists who win prizes are nonetheless theorists.  How does an economic formula garner a Nobel prize, while we sit in a so-called "disastrous" economy?  I see no evidence of some panacea of a formula.  I remember learning some basics of Friedman, but that stuff is long-lost jargon to me.  It never seemed to be all that big of a deal.  Look at all of the great economists we have, and then, look at the condition of our nation's economics.  These are authoritative figures?  They can come up with jargon, such as velocity, etc., but this is hardly patentable stuff.  Feel free to explain, from an enlightened perspective, how Friedman's Nobel-winning formula can fix it all for us.  We must have been reading it wrong for decades.

Edited by Jeff Matthews

It's not meant to fix anything in and of itself.  What it does is explain inflation by showing the relationship between the important variables that concern it.  But right now it's like headquarters.  What is it?  It's a building with lots of people behind desks but that's not important right now.

But right now it's like headquarters.  What is it?  It's a building with lots of people behind desks but that's not important right now.

Yes.  What's important is who those people are and what they do.  

You do realize your are trying to make a point you think is obvious but is not all that obvious?  Perhaps you take it for granted like I take the law for granted.  Sometimes, I think the law is just so basic, a layperson ought to be able to reason it out.  I catch myself doing that from time to time. Right now, you claim some knowledge from some authority you suggest I research, but if you google "Friedman Nobel Prize Formula," you are not taken immediately to a 5 paragraph, concise description of this formula and the variables you reference.

That's my point about making it easy for people to understand you. 

Ayn Rand

And so on....

A copy and paste with no credit to the writer? 

Why do you hate capitalism? Most of the people who are rich are no criminals. Why do you feel it should be a right of the government to steal?  

The middle class was the engine of the economy in the 60's and 70's and the horsepower was slowly let out of it like a bleeding dinosaur to other countries until it failed to exist present day. The fact is there will be no good paying middle class jobs now or in the future and with the rise of robotics it will get worse. So come all ye minimum wagers and be the economic core of the country.

JJK