Forget $15/hour. Worry about a job at all.

Bella

not sure if this is more weird or cool ...

Communication in human dialogue is based on one another's words and body language. We can sense whether the other person is distracted, and we change the course of our conversation and our actions to regain their attention.

Most existing robots, however, still use monologue mechanisms, even when engaging in dialogue with a person. For example, they continue speaking in the same way, even if the person is not paying attention.

Researchers at the Interactions and Communication Design (ICD) Lab at Toyohashi University of Technology have devised the novel robotic communication approach that takes into account the listener's attention. The robot follows a person's gaze and determines if that person is distracted by, for instance, a sports event in the background or something in their surroundings. The robot bends forward and nods if the person is watching television or it turns its head and looks around if the person is looking elsewhere. These behaviors are accompanied by appropriate utterance intended to regain the person's attention. Experiments have confirmed that these adaptive interactions considerably increase the other party's attention focused toward the robot as compared with the gestures and speech generated without considering the person's gaze.

here is a link to the entire article if you’re interested.  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/10/151022103537.htm

If we could take any clues from the greatest Science Fiction visionaries of our time (Gene Roddenberry, for one), in his Star Trek series, I remember the fleeting utterance that humans no longer required income and instead focused on self improvement as the reward. I cannot remember if it was in one of the series or one of the movies. The Next Generation, perhaps...Picard.

Such a monumental change in character doesn't just happen.  It usually requires a 'jump start,' such as a cataclysmic event to kick start it and force the change.

AI? Automation has been taking jobs for 200 years already. What's new? It will continue with no particular change in the economic system. That means automation will represent an investment in labor reduction. The jobless will go on as always without jobs. What does anyone think is new?

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

AI? Automation has been taking jobs for 200 years already. What's new? It will continue with no particular change in the economic system. That means automation will represent an investment in labor reduction. The jobless will go on as always without jobs. What does anyone think is new?

I will think call center work is the first easy application for AI. There's a little bit of that left in the USA, most of it though is in India.

Doctors offices will lose that one position who answers the phone for scheduling and other minor issues. The office will subscribe to a service to provide that function. Car rental agencies will lose the counter clerk, probably airlines too.

Self checkout at nearly any large store you frequent today those were once cashiers

I hate those things.  I told my wife that if I wanted to check out grocery purchases I'd apply for a job at the store.  I'll happily stand in line for a person to check me out thinking if enough people do it, it might save a job.

• Like 3

Can't explain color to a blind man.  Enjoy the darkness...

Dave

Can't explain color to a blind man.  Enjoy the darkness...

Dave

Agreed.  there's a huge difference in a machine made to perform a task and something that can work independently of mans input.

My wife and I were ready to check out at a grocery store a few months ago and were looking at the 2 or 3 lines to decide which to use. A female employee walks up and with a palms up point toward the self check-out informs us we could check out there. I told her I will walk out the door and leave this buggy right here before I use that. So she checked us out

Nobody gives a schit about the next guy anymore.

Keith

• Like 1

What's new? You said it yourself: AI. Do you not see the future?

My wife and I were ready to check out at a grocery store a few months ago and were looking at the 2 or 3 lines to decide which to use. A female employee walks up and with a palms up point toward the self check-out informs us we could check out there. I told her I will walk out the door and leave this buggy right here before I use that. So she checked us out

Keith

Now THAT is ironic.

Can't explain color to a blind man. Enjoy the darkness...

Dave

Please enlighten me.

I will think call center work is the first easy application for AI. There's a little bit of that left in the USA, most of it though is in India.

Doctors offices will lose that one position who answers the phone for scheduling and other minor issues. The office will subscribe to a service to provide that function. Car rental agencies will lose the counter clerk, probably airlines too.

I took a sales call the other day but I'm not sure the voice on the other end was a human. I couldn't be 100% sure because although it sounded slightly deliberate in tone and pronunciation, it was responding to my replies in an intelligent manner - responses formatted based on my input and with only a very little bit of lag time. It was surreal.

I hung up thinking I just had a conversation with a machine.

Were you the buyer or the seller?

I was the buyer. With more reflection, I think it was the complete lack of emotion in the tone that was the tell. Strictly monotone - no rise or fall at any point in the voice. But very human like otherwise.

Keith

Now THAT is ironic.

Yes it is. Imagine someone trying to help those that are unwilling to help themselves.

Keith

Please enlighten me.

No.  Enlighten yourself.  I am not chief enlightener.  Read Hawking, Gates, Elon Musk on the subject.  They are about as strange bedfellows as you will find.  If they don't enlighten you then, as I said, take comfort in the darkness. 

Dave

Edited by Mallette

AI? Automation has been taking jobs for 200 years already. What's new? It will continue with no particular change in the economic system. That means automation will represent an investment in labor reduction. The jobless will go on as always without jobs. What does anyone think is new?Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

I will think call center work is the first easy application for AI. There's a little bit of that left in the USA, most of it though is in India.Doctors offices will lose that one position who answers the phone for scheduling and other minor issues. The office will subscribe to a service to provide that function. Car rental agencies will lose the counter clerk, probably airlines too.Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
I took a sales call the other day but I'm not sure the voice on the other end was a human. I couldn't be 100% sure because although it sounded slightly deliberate in tone and pronunciation, it was responding to my replies in an intelligent manner - responses formatted based on my input and with only a very little bit of lag time. It was surreal.I hung up thinking I just had a conversation with a machine.

We have gotten a few call like that at the shop.....I was in the office when my wife was taking the call. She said to me...."it's one of those machine calls" she put it on speaker and started messing with it....my wife asked "is this a machine?" It laughed and said "oh no silly".....

Yea the future.....it'll be great......can't wait......

MKP :-)

• Like 1