Forget $15/hour. Worry about a job at all.

Bella

I touched on this subject briefly in an exchange with oldtimer in the minimum wage thread. I just came across this article. In my opinion, unless the U.S. really gets its act together to address this head on, the minimum wage will be the least of our problems. 

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/11/12/billionaire-says-ai-could-put-workers-out-to-pasture.html

Without reading the article first (what fun would that be?) the issues discussed in that other thread are all about the trends and dangers of slipping into a third world distribution of wealth pattern.  A strong middle class led us to be a strong nation.  A small to non-existent one looks pretty ugly.

• Like 1

This could be one step closer to The Terminator.  Only, the motive will be different.  Man vs. machines in a war for employment.  Machines, capable of employment, are programmed to decimate masses of the now-useless species, man.  We must destroy the machines!

And now, while it is still relatively easy and fun.

• Like 1

Been happening for years.  Plenty of robotics in the manufacturing fields.  Those were once manned jobs,  Self checkout at nearly any large  store you frequent today those were once cashiers

We will need people (initially) to design and build the bots that put us out to pasture  :mellow:   I am already there  :wacko:

Shoot, now there will be even less people that can afford to buy stuff.....

Tyler Durden, Fight Club?  It would seem that the paradigms that worked in the past are fundamentally breaking down; therefore, we cannot fix the problem with an old, used bandage. 

“The robot-apocalypse for workers may be inevitable. In this vision of the future, super-smart machines will best humans in pretty much every task. A few of us will own the machines, a few will work a bit… while the rest will live off a government-provided income… the most common job in most U.S. states probably will no longer be truck driver.”

On the other hand, they can build enough stuff for everyone, and it would be practically free.  Musicians, poets, writers once again can flourish throughout the landscape without the need for agents or publishers.  Unless some damn architect comes along and screws it all up.

• Like 2

On the other hand, they can build enough stuff for everyone, and it would be practically free.  Musicians, poets, writers once again can flourish throughout the landscape without the need for agents or publishers.  Unless some damn architect comes along and screws it all up.

This has been tried, and it failed.

Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from.

Fact is that the subject of this topic renders the one it refers to as irrelevant. 

I find it interesting that I discuss topics as I did that one with full knowledge that the outcome is irrelevant.  AI is about to change things in ways I cannot even begin to guess.  Those who are pushing back at surrendering control of their car to a computer have very strong feelings about that.  To a great extent, it's a red herring.  Love the Firesign Theatre:  "Everything You Know is Wrong." 

Dave