Jubilees: Alternative Package

PrestonTom

Nice job of engineering, Tom.  Your solution is elegant, especially considering the size and shape of the speakers.

Well done! 

+++

Aside:  How portable is your work?  I'm sure you built-in the speaker cover, but can you easily move it to another room, or transport it to another house?  It looks like it would be tough to not damage it when taking it down and putting it up elsewhere.

Those are very nice IMO Tom. (Is your real name Tom?)  I have always (well at least since I've known about them) dreamed if I had a pair of Jubs I would do something similar.

Thank you.

My real intent to is to get others to take the plunge and get Jubilees. Drink the kool aid and order some today.

Right now a new pair of Jubilees can be shipped to your home and cost less that the new Klipschorns (even with the crossover and simple cosmetics).

Yes, they do sound better. I have owned both.

I agree with all of your notions here. Loud applause please!

Thank you Claude and of course I agree with everything you said.

Like it Tom.

Now you can put ugly but effective room treatments behind your speakers.  I had to hide mine behind "theater curtains"

Thanks JC, It is always nice to hear kind words from someone who has actually gotten their feet wet doing this stuff.

My acoustic treatment will eventually be in a package that looks quite a bit like a scaled down version of the grill section.

Awesome job Tom!!!! Must be funny when someone listens to them, and can only imagine what's behind  the curtain, and then once revealed, you can tell them they were Darth Vaders speakers and they are other worldly.

The friend who helped me move the cabinets around was absolutely amazed by the transformation. His wife however still thinks they are rather large, but was soon giving opinions about color and texture .....

Nice job of engineering, Tom.  Your solution is elegant, especially considering the size and shape of the speakers.

Well done! 

+++

Aside:  How portable is your work?  I'm sure you built-in the speaker cover, but can you easily move it to another room, or transport it to another house?  It looks like it would be tough to not damage it when taking it down and putting it up elsewhere.

Thank you for your kind words. You're right this really is an engineering job, with all the headaches about compromise, design trade-offs etc.

You raise an interesting point. The cabinets can be easily fine tuned for position. The grill piece comes off easily (held by gravity and Velcro). Then you can slide the structure by grabbing the side handles (there is carpet pad on the bottom of the base). For something more major, you would remove 4 bolts on each side panel (the tweeter box has 4 receiving hurricane nuts). The side panels are flat. The tweeter box is bolted into the bass bin with a neoprene sheet in between and the bass bin rests on a base. There are no cosmetics/façade on the top or the rear. It does take a couple of guys to place the bass bin on the base, however. Jubilees are not small and light

• 2 months later...

What a really cool way to hide large speakers, and not necessarily Jubs. You've given me some ideas...

Don: thank you for your kind words. 

If I have generated some ideas for folks, then I have accomplished my mission. There are several strategies on dressing up Jubilees. Mine is just one of them although it is not for everyone.

Now if there is anyone hesitant about buying Jubilees because they are "too big" etc, think about some of these options. Then, tomorrow make the phone call and get yourself some Jubilees.

My work is done ....

Edited by PrestonTom

• 2 months later...

Nice work, Tom. The grill cloth works well with the Jubilees. I did the same thing with my 1966 KWOs to increase their wife acceptance factor. Back in the '90s when the wife ordered a sofa and loveseat with a green fabric pattern called Cunningham Forest, we got a few extra yards of the fabric. I did the front and side grills of both Khorns. I haven't heard many complaints about their presence since then.

• Moderators

I just seen this, I like what you did, they look great I never imagined what one cover over both horns would look like. Really a completely different look and any color could be used to fit the room. How about some really well done airbrushing to look like paintings, OK never mind I was just getting ideas looking at those blank canvases  :emotion-14:

After looking at yours I feel inspired,  I need to customize my top horns a little, i had different ideas from the beginning but so far I have just listened and no more. . 

I just seen this, I like what you did, they look great I never imagined what one cover over both horns would look like. Really a completely different look and any color could be used to fit the room. How about some really well done airbrushing to look like paintings, OK never mind I was just getting ideas looking at those blank canvases  :emotion-14:

After looking at yours I feel inspired,  I need to customize my top horns a little, i had different ideas from the beginning but so far I have just listened and no more. . 

If I have inspired you, then my work is a success. Thanks for the kind thoughts. 

Interesting that you mentioned using these as  a canvas for artwork. I did consider a tie-dye project with the kids. I re-thought this idea since too many things could go wrong.

Thanks again,

-Tom

• Moderators

True, it could be great but also terrible, looks good now so probably best not to push it  :D

They do look good, and it totally changes the look. To be honest I don't care, full grill, part grill or no grill, as long as the working parts are back there I'm happy.  :emotion-29:

The wife likes the look of the horns and does not want cloth but I definitely have an idea how to make them look better. Since the bass bins are Oak I want to make Oak strips to match that go around the 402 horn front edge and cover the holes and give it a little more finished look. I talked with Roy about how far I want to get to the exit/inside edge of the horn as to not change the sound, I remembered him talking about the "bubble" as it exists the horn and I didn't want to effect the sound. But there is plenty of room to do what I am thinking.   

After the Pilgrimage in Hope I will start on it, to much going on right now. 

Well done

True, it could be great but also terrible, looks good now so probably best not to push it  :D

They do look good, and it totally changes the look. To be honest I don't care, full grill, part grill or no grill, as long as the working parts are back there I'm happy.  :emotion-29:

The wife likes the look of the horns and does not want cloth but I definitely have an idea how to make them look better. Since the bass bins are Oak I want to make Oak strips to match that go around the 402 horn front edge and cover the holes and give it a little more finished look. I talked with Roy about how far I want to get to the exit/inside edge of the horn as to not change the sound, I remembered him talking about the "bubble" as it exists the horn and I didn't want to effect the sound. But there is plenty of room to do what I am thinking.   

After the Pilgrimage in Hope I will start on it, to much going on right now. 

Well done

I was also worried about the "bubble" and diffraction. So I deliberately made the frame larger so it would be out of the way and not interfere where the sound is "launched". 

By the way when I did some of the mock ups, it became clear that if you simply make a large rectangular frame it ends up looking like a big picture frame (sitting on the floor with no "picture"). That is one of the reasons I only had top and bottom wooden rails and also why I made the frame have a gentle curve. It seemed to give a bit more visual interest.