New Home Theater Receiver

Loudogp250

Very pleased with CA.  I currently have two pieces, 840C CD player/DAC and 640A v2 integrated amp, and they sound wonderful.  I have often looked at the CA 751R and Anthem MRX 710 and 510 as replacement AVRs if my NAD pre/pro ever croaks, which I hope not because it is so darn musical.

Decent review on the 650 

Onk has stepped up to the plate on those HDMI board failures and has extended the warranty until 2018.

I contacted Onkyo and was told that my Integra missed this by one year. :(  

That stinks, Onk knows that is a factory defect.  Those HDMI boards had a chip (can't remember which one) that was spec'd to 120 degrees or so but the defective chip could only take 80 or so before failure, numbers to that effect, and it was that way out of the factory.

If you check Youtube there are several vids which will show you exactly how to DIY and replace the faulty chip.  It didn't look hard but I haven't watched the vids lately to tell you which was better.

I searched on "onkyo hdmi board repair" and found a bunch of vids.  I'm not sure which Onk relates to your Integra model.

Edited by wvu80

I heard an Anthem and Pioneer Elite head to head and it was a toss up with music and HT.  I would take the Pioneer just because it had more power for HT.  I have my Fortes' hooked up to a tube amp but, I would be just as satisfied with the Pioneer.  The Fortes' sound great with SS and tubes.  The room correction on the Pioneer is outstanding.  A lot of this comes down to personal choice and the visual image you want for the system. :)

Edited by derrickdj1

• 1 month later...

Bill,

The setup mic only measures distance and speaker size. Distance was accurate but the crossover settings were off so i manually made adjustments. Pulled out the spl and adjusted individual speakers levels. So far I have listened to Muddy Waters Folk Singer & Pink Floyd Dark Size of the Moon. Sounds great. The details on folk Singer Sounds as if Muddy was in the room with me. Compared to my Integra I didn't have to add as much volume. I will let you know how LOTR goes. Im about to watch my demo scenes.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

I like teaman'suggestion but, the company is out of business and I have had to get a couple of used avr/amps fixed and it is not cheap and you don't know the quality of the craftmanship.  There are always trade-off between new/nearly new and old gear.

Amps don't change much over the years but, avr's have a 5 yr life span due to formats and connectivity advances.  I think that is all I am saying if you are going to spend up to $1,500.

Yes, and last I heard Emo won't touch anything from Sherbourn even though they bought the company.

I am a HUGE Pioneer Elite supporter, I have owned about 10 over the last 7 years or so. I am sure any of the newer SC mosels would suit you very well for msny years to come.

I am also an Anthem fan, lived the one I owned a couple of years ago.

With all of that said, I am really high on the used NAD I picked up last week. Killer sound quality, easy to operate and built like a tank.

This one looks to be a good overall model and would save you some money for an Oppo player:)

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4KMVFDPSpU7/shopsearch/nad_receiver.html?awcp=1t1&awcr=28915356923&awdv=m&awkw=nad%20receiver&awmt=e&awnw=g

Now that I have a few movies under my belt I am really enjoying this receiver. To my ears I am hearing more detail especially from the center channel. With my Integra I was rarely satisfied with the center. With the Cambridge its night and day.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk