Basketball; Curry Madness

DizRotus

It's interesting to compare Buddy Hield with Ben Simmons of LSU. Several have Ben #1 pick in the draft yet Buddy is regarded as #1 college player. Those two things don't necessarily have to be the same thing as in this case. Ben Simmons simply projected to be a better NBA prospect.

Buddy is regarded as #1 college player.

IMO, you're listening to the wrong people.  Denzel Valentine is a more complete player than Buddy Hield is, or ever will be.  The prognosticators are rarely correct.  How many of the 34 players picked ahead of Draymond Green in 2012 are more valuable to their teams than Draymond is to Golden State?  Do you sense a small amount of Spartan bias?

Edited by DizRotus

Valentine has been making up some ground lately for sure, don't know if it will be enough to win Player of the Year. As far as Draymond Green goes, he just needs to keep his mouth shut. That hurts him more than anything. I guess it's tough to play 3rd fiddle behind that those crazy good guards Klay and Stephen.

Edited by JL Sargent

Every visitor says the same thing….Indy is the perfect city for this tournament, it's clean, friendly, easy to get around, and the local hotels and restaurants do not price gouge. Indy knows how to host an event.

I know the series goes to NYC for a few years, then back here for 2 years. Indy just seem like a more accessible location for most BIG10 schools. 

That's insane to move the Big 10 tourney to Madison Square Garden for all the reasons you mentioned.  I think at one time it was a good move to play in the prestigious MSG and get all that New York press covering it, but with all the really nice facilities there are these days I don't think playing at MSG has the prestige it once did.

+++

FINALLY:  WVU finally got some respect for beating someone as they have moved up to a #2 seed after beating the Sooners according to Lunardi's Bracketology.   What is interesting is that OK is still picked as a #2 without dropping their seeding. 

If Lunardi's Bracketology holds up, WVU would have to face East #3 Miami and #1 Villanova to make the Final Four.  I don't think WVU would be intimidated by either of those teams.

The Big 12 should have Kansas as the overall #1 seed, then have two #2 seeds.  That positions the Big 12 to do some business at the top in the NCAA tourney.

Michigan is hanging with Purdue. I'd get my Spartan credentials revoked if this got out, but I'm pulling for the Arrogant A's from A2. It's good for the B1G to keep them out of the NIT.

That said, what's with those Wolverine uniforms? Stevie Wonder could do better. The best that can be said is they aren't as ugly as Nebraska's.

Johnny Manziel is proof of that.

Far from it. Johnny Football was the best when he won it as a collegiate athlete! I don't see how you can argue with that. He just wasn't a good PRO. Which was the whole premise of my first post about Ben Simmons.

Draymond Green going off in the locker room screaming and hollering at his coach and teammates? Yeah, that hurts him and his team.

That was a bizarre game in the second half. Maryland was cold; MSU was cold. Trimble and Forbes were both off their games. Bizarre, but exciting and with the right result. Now Sparty gets a chance at revenge against the Boilermakers.

Edited by DizRotus

Watching the Kansas vs WVU in the Big 12 title game. Both of these teams are very impressive. Unfortunately, we are not used to watching this level of basketball on the SEC network.  :D

Devon Williams is in BEAST MODE tonight!

Edited by JL Sargent
  • Like 1

Awards are flawed. Matt Costello beat out Denzel Valentine for "Mr. Basketball" in Michigan. Matt always was, and is now, a very good basketball player. Denzel Valentine always was, and is now, a much better basketball player. Fortunately, that error of judgment on the part of the sports writers in Michigan never seemed to affect the relationship between the two as Spartans.

IMO, Denzel Valentine is a more complete player than Buddy Hield. Let's see how they both play in their respective conference championship games . . . oh, I forgot, the Sooners didn't make it to the championship game. They lost to the losers. :-)

How about those North Carolina boys.  UNC Tar Heels win the ACC tourney :)

When you're from the Tar Heel state and your team wins the ACC, bragging is not only permitted but encouraged.  :D

Congrats! 

• Like 2

This whole seeding business has me baffled. I understand the desire to keep the best teams from knocking eachother off in the early rounds, but it's far from an exact science.

How is it that UVA with 7 losses after losing to UNC might get a #1 seed over MSU with 5 losses? UNC is the only 4 loss team and MSU is responsible for one of those losses.

I know you have to beat everyone if you expect to win it all, so seeding is not critical. But, if MSU beats Purdue and is denied a #1 seed, something's wrong.

That said, first Sparty has to beat the Boilermakers. If they don't, they don't deserve a #1 seed, but neither does UVA.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 2