Netscape Problem

jtkinney

I am using Netscape 4.77 as my browser at work. Starting a few days ago, when I am checking out the different topics on this board, Netscape won't update. The first time I view a topic, it works fine, but any subsequent visits won't have newer entries since the last visit. If I reload the page all of the entries pop-up, but the next visit reverts back to an earlier saved page and I have to reload again.

What have I or the system administrators screwed up? I know I am supposed to be working, but this is more interesting.

------------------

Jim

Family Room:

1978 Klipschorns (mains), SF'2's (center), 1979 La Scalas (rear surrounds), RC-3 Rear Center, KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever, Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player, Toshiba SD-1200 DVD, Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

Bedroom:

Yamaha RX-V590, SF-1's Mainsc>s>

I have the same problem at work using IE (will check version tomorrow). Most times I can NEVER see new posts until I get home. At home I can see everything, anytime, who knows............

Edit: Using IE 5.5 at home

------------------

Turntable - Pro-Ject 2.0

Phono Preamp - Parasound PPH-100

PreAmp - ASL AQ2004DT

Amp - ASL Wave 8 mono blocks

Receiver - H/K AVR-210

DVD - Sony DVP-S360

Mains - KLF-20

Center - KLF-C7

Surrounds - Optimus Pro LX-10

Sub - Yamaha YST-SW160

Reinforcement - JBL 4638

This message has been edited by space_cowboy on 08-22-2002 at 08:11 PM

To see if there are any new posts while you are browsing around, try holding the "shift" key down and then press your refresh on you browser. It acts like you just came back to the site for the first time. Like a complete refresh. Try that and see if that helps.

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Home Theatre:s>

Klipsch RF-3's (Front)c>

Klipsch RC-3 (Center)c>

Polk Audio PSW650 subc>

Harman Kardon AVR-125c>

Mitsubishi 60" Big Screen VS-60609c>

Sony DVD DVP-S530Dc>

I use Mozilla both at home and at work, which can be downloaded for free from mozilla.org . If does not have all that extra baggage that Netscrape seems to come with (such as dropping "Try AOL Now" icons everywhere on the system), but has a very similar interface to the Netscape 4.7x version with a few nice bells and whistles (not to mention the ability to squelch pop-up ads or to prevent images from animating). If you like Netscape, I would highly recommmend trying Mozilla. I have no page update problems with Mozilla either.

The only downside that I have encountered so far is that the image attach feature does not seem to want to work right under Mozilla so I have to load up IE to attach images.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

one thing you can do... lower the cache size so it can only store 'so' much info so that it will have to reload the page. you probably have a fast connection at work so little or no cache should not be a problem.

don't forget, there is a new netscape out... works great for me, but i prefer IE just because i like to be watched by big brother Wink.gif

the gecko netscape is finally bug free Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>

I finally gave up on Netscrape 4.7x and went to Mozilla. Best computer thing I've done in quite a while. It's much faster and works right for just about any site, except of course the ones that are jiggered to work right only with MS Internet Exploder. It's slow to init load, but after that it's great.

I'm in the computer support business and I've grown to cordially hate everything MS, even though I'm an MCSE and all that jazz.

Shift-reload works well to fix the caching issues that sometimes crop up. If you're accessing through a caching proxy server it can get annoying.

Tom

Thanks for the comments, It sounds like I'm not alone. I will try the shift-reload tomorrow.

Justin, I tried setting the cache to 1K and that helped, but didn't get rid of the problem.

Tom, it could very well be the proxy server. Normally I have to enter a password to get outside of the company, but for the past few days I don't have to. The same time the rest of the problems started.

I don't know if I can load Mozilla at work. I can't upgrade Netscape. IE 5.? is even worse, at least the company version.

------------------

Jim

Family Room:

1978 Klipschorns (mains), SF'2's (center), 1979 La Scalas (rear surrounds), RC-3 Rear Center, KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever, Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player, Toshiba SD-1200 DVD, Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

Bedroom:

Yamaha RX-V590, SF-1's Mainsc>s>

m00n gets up on his soapbox 46.gif

Netscape must die a horrible death!

From a web developers standpoint, netscape is a pain in the A55 to deal with. Die netscape die.

m00n gets down off his soapbox.

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Harman Kardon DVD-50(DD, DTS)

VIDEO: InFocus ScreenPlay DLP Projector

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

Try Opera, It's what I use, alot faster than IE and works on 99% of the web pages I use. It's free so you could give it a try and it wouldn't cost you anything.

Regards,

Greg

------------------

HK AVR20 II

Toshiba DVD

32" Toshiba TV

Odyssey Stratos

1987 Khorns Mains

1976 LaScala's Rears

KV-1 Center

KSW-12 Sub

Two-Channel

Fisher 800C Receiver

1987 Khorns

Teac CDP

Pioneer TT

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by mike stehr:

I hate spyware.

I decided that I like Adaware enough to buyit last night instead of using the free version.

here are the results of a scan I just did.

adawa.gif

Look at that! From Gator to ClickZero to Bonzi Buddy it got like 292. That is a ton. No more popups, yeah!

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5s>

Email Me

quote:

Originally posted by mike stehr:

Man, they got you good, I think I had only around 14 Components when we first started Ad-aware.

Run that program pretty frequent Justin, 'cause they keep rammin' 'em down your throat.

i do it about every 6 months. now since i have the plus version, i think it automatically stops them in their tracks. Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5s>

Email Me