Ulcers

Jeff Matthews

I have eaten spicy food all of my life.  It does not make me eat more, I have never been overweight.  If you eat wholesome food mostly fresh and spice it to your taste, you should not have to go bland food is only fuel.  Unless of course if you have no self discipline.

But that's you. My point was that the food industry relies on spice to make food more desirable. They really do try to make food that is hard to stop eating. There are dozens of food science labs that design the flavoring, and they all rely on spice as part of the process along with texture and so on. 

Eating has little to do with self discipline. It has to do with being entrapped in the food culture and becoming one of those who eat for pleasure and entertainment and an antidote to boredom. The effects of modern manufactured food are designed to increase consumption. That fact that it doesn't work for say 10% of the population (such as your self) doesn't mean it doesn't work. It works plenty good on the rest of the population. 

To make the argument that only self control is involved just totally misses the industrial science and the medical science on this issue.

GD right it's me.  Self discipline has a lot to do with it.  Boredom is the symptom of an inactive mind.  Food has nothing to do with that.  You're just reinforcing the argument that the bell curve exists and is alive and well.  I agree that it is.  Which side of the curve are you on?  Not you, but generally. 

BTW, I know very, very few people who eat say, 90% fresh food. The increased incidence of obesity comes from the segment eating manufactured food for the most part. 

Count me in that category.  The rest tend to be the people of Wal-Mart.  Google it and feast your eyes.

I have eaten spicy food all of my life.  It does not make me eat more, I have never been overweight.  If you eat wholesome food mostly fresh and spice it to your taste, you should not have to go bland food is only fuel.  Unless of course if you have no self discipline.

But that's you. My point was that the food industry relies on spice to make food more desirable. They really do try to make food that is hard to stop eating. There are dozens of food science labs that design the flavoring, and they all rely on spice as part of the process along with texture and so on. 

Eating has little to do with self discipline. It has to do with being entrapped in the food culture and becoming one of those who eat for pleasure and entertainment and an antidote to boredom. The effects of modern manufactured food are designed to increase consumption. That fact that it doesn't work for say 10% of the population (such as your self) doesn't mean it doesn't work. It works plenty good on the rest of the population. 

To make the argument that only self control is involved just totally misses the industrial science and the medical science on this issue.

GD right it's me.  Self discipline has a lot to do with it.  Boredom is the symptom of an inactive mind.  Food has nothing to do with that.  You're just reinforcing the argument that the bell curve exists and is alive and well.  I agree that it is.  Which side of the curve are you on?  Not you, but generally. 

The "self discipline" argument is flawed because it pretends that the obvious external causes don't exist. They exist, and they dominate the set of causes for bad health and obesity. 

The food culture creates a perpetual 24x7 desire for food through constant advertising and ubiquitous opportunity to eat. I will assume we can agree on the advertising? The ubiquitous opportunity is next. You can't go ANYWHERE without being presented with another opportunity to eat. From ball parks to gas stations to movie theaters, public events, you name it, food is involved as a major player. That's not an accident of nature. That is industrial food manufacturing plying its trade. You can't write that. Off. Companies do not waste money on advertising. They do it because it works. It increases consumption. This manufactured food industry creates foods which mimic addictive traits. More and more is being understood here each year. There was a time people insisted tobacco was not addictive. 

The food culture creates hundreds of TV shows all about food, about chef competitions, about home cooks, about recipes, about food making gadgets and it is non-stop. Then there's the restaurant recommendations and the idea to go to a place to eat as ENTERTAINMENT! That's a cultural fashion. It's not considered a lack of self control to go to restaurants. Then, there's the insane menus and insane piles of garbage food they serve you. Again, some people might be good at control, but not many. 

On top of all that is Facebook. Which is 90% food related for the majority of people. And then we have cookbooks. And pass along recipes. That's the food culture. A non-stop 24/7 conversation with people about eating. 

Sure, it is certainly possible for some people to have control. But all you have to do is LOOK AROUND YOU, to see that such control is a very small minority. 

The "self discipline" argument is flawed because it pretends that the obvious external causes don't exist. They exist, and they dominate the set of causes for bad health and obesity. 

Realizing that external causes do exist, and choosing healthy alternatives for yourself is considered "self discipline" in my opinion.

• Like 1

It's not flawed. These forces exist. But awareness also exists. Your argument relies on the stupidity of those who succumb. The bell curve in other words.

Really? Are you going to look at every over weight person you know and think, "stupid?"

I can't do that. I don't see so many people being stupid. We live in and are surrounded by extreme cultural forces and they affect all of our lives. No one needs a new car, but 17M are sold each year. Are they stupid too?

That idea that everyone is stupid seems to be the cornstone of modern libertarianism.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

How about Flint? Is everyone stupid because they didn't test the water on their own, and then buy pure water? The external force carries no responsibility? The society owes nothing to individuals?

No one share any responsibility for the others around us?

Edited by jo56steph74

How about Flint? Is everyone stupid because they didn't test the water on their own, and then buy pure water? The external force carries no responsibility? The society owes nothing to individuals?

No one share any responsibility for the others around us?

That is a wholly different matter.

• Like 1

so, the local Mexican Mafia comes out with a new and improved, more addicting Bath Salts, that doesn't mean YOU have to try it!!!!

Way to many people that don't want to accept responsibility for their own actions!

Did the Fork twist your arm and make you eat it??

Let's let everybody play on the team, and EVERYBODY gets a Trophy, so no one feels left out.... Sheesh!

Roger

It's not flawed. These forces exist. But awareness also exists. Your argument relies on the stupidity of those who succumb. The bell curve in other words.

Really? Are you going to look at every over weight person you know and think, "stupid?"

I can't do that. I don't see so many people being stupid. We live in and are surrounded by extreme cultural forces and they affect all of our lives. No one needs a new car, but 17M are sold each year. Are they stupid too?

That idea that everyone is stupid seems to be the cornstone of modern libertarianism.

Are you saying that you can look at a room full of total drug addicts and say to yourself; "Wow, these are the smartest people that I have ever met, or would you look at them as having failed?

What is the difference between a food addict and a drug addict??

Roger

I have eaten spicy food all of my life. It does not make me eat more, I have never been overweight. If you eat wholesome food mostly fresh and spice it to your taste, you should not have to go bland food is only fuel. Unless of course if you have no self discipline.

so, the local Mexican Mafia comes out with a new and improved, more addicting Bath Salts, that doesn't mean YOU have to try it!!!!

Way to many people that don't want to accept responsibility for their own actions!

Did the Fork twist your arm and make you eat it??

Let's let everybody play on the team, and EVERYBODY gets a Trophy, so no one feels left out.... Sheesh!

Roger

Your post doesn't comprehend my premise.

1. Do the Fortune 500 waste their money advertising, or does it work for them?

2. Everyone who responds to that advertising is stupid? Has no control?

3. The people of Japan (thinner, healthier) ate smarter than Americans?

4. It's wrong for people to trust institutions that provide public guidance about nutrition, not knowing this institutions are co-opted by industry?

5. No one forced water down the throats of people in Flint, so that must be their fault too? They should have tried their water, right? Losers demanding trophies?

What you are missing is the difference between chemical additives and spices.

You don't think salt enhances flavor and makes foods more desirable?

The inference here is that salt is a spice, which it is not. likewise it has nothing to do with the thread discussing the association between spicy foods and ulcers.

For my concern, I wasn't interested in the taxonomical problem of naming spices, minerals, sugars, enhancers, preservers. The point was to describe how manufactured food differs from natural food in ways that purposely try to increase consumption of the manufactured food.

It's beginning to look like not many people are aware of how manufactured food are designed?