Ulcers

Jeff Matthews

Carl (CECAxxxx) wrote in the infamous Chinese food thread:

"For decades, doctors thought eating a lot of spicy food caused stomach ulcers, or painful sores on the lining of the esophagus, stomach or upper area of the small intestine. It certainly made sense, as patients would often complain of burning stomach pains after eating spicy food. The treatment: a strict diet of bland food (which didn’t actually get rid of the ulcer pain).

But in the 1980s, scientists put this old wives’ tale to rest (at least in the medical community — a lot of people still believe this one). Studies showed that spicy food doesn’t cause ulcers, though it can irritate existing ulcers, which explains the misunderstanding.

(copy and paste for those that are scared of a little heat)."

True enough.  Actually, it is now believed that it is a bacterial overgrowth in the stomach. The bacteria species is known as h. pylori.  If you look at the active ingredients of the common drugs used to treat ulcers, they are "azoles," which are anti-fungals.

I had an ulcer once for a few weeks.  It was hell.  I self treated with heavy doses throughout the day of Pepto Bismol, along with Omeprazole over the counter.  It went away and never came back... thank goodness!  Ulcers are bad stuff!

Spicy foods -- 

Ok, as to ulcers, I buy the current consensus from the medicos, of course. But, maybe most people really meant acid indigestion and assumed that led to ulcers. Back in the day, I ate very spicy food and it would aggravate GIRD. Eventually to the point, I was on omeprazole full time. Time goes by....I decide to go for the food as fuel concept, eliminate pointless spice, including common pepper and salt, and GIRD disappears. I advise others to do same, and in all cases GIRD improves. 

The "antacid" bidness in the USA is rather huge. Would it be if the diet were more bland? Probably not. 

Spicy foods -- 

Ok, as to ulcers, I buy the current consensus from the medicos, of course. But, maybe most people really meant acid indigestion and assumed that led to ulcers. Back in the day, I ate very spicy food and it would aggravate GIRD. Eventually to the point, I was on omeprazole full time. Time goes by....I decide to go for the food as fuel concept, eliminate pointless spice, including common pepper and salt, and GIRD disappears. I advise others to do same, and in all cases GIRD improves. 

The "antacid" bidness in the USA is rather huge. Would it be if the diet were more bland? Probably not. 

That is GERD, not GIRD. GERD stands for Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease :)

Roger

• Like 4

I went through a roll of Tums nearly every day when i was working for Cadillac all those years, i think it was stress related.

Have not had any problems since.

Stress is usually a prime ingredient.

Stress leads to a break down in the bodies own immune system, which can lead to H. Pylori getting out of hand, growing unchecked.

Stress related breakdown of the immune system also leads to Herpes outbreaks.... YUMMY :)

Roger

• Like 1

I have eaten spicy food all of my life.  It does not make me eat more, I have never been overweight.  If you eat wholesome food mostly fresh and spice it to your taste, you should not have to go bland food is only fuel.  Unless of course if you have no self discipline.

• Like 2

^^^^^^ Agree with Old Timer here!

How many FAT Mexicans, Cajuns, and Thai people do you see running around with ulcers??????

H. Pylori only gets out of hand when there is a problem with the immune system such as Stress.

Other things that can weaken the immune system include but are not limited to HIV/AIDES, Cancer/Chemo, Antibiotics, other infections, etc.

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer
  • Like 1

Actually, it is now believed that it is a bacterial overgrowth in the stomach. The bacteria species is known as h. pylori. If you look at the active ingredients of the common drugs used to treat ulcers, they are "azoles," which are anti-fungals.

Causes of gastrointestinal ulcers:

Different factors can cause the lining of the stomach, the esophagus, and the small intestine to break down. These include:

• Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori): a bacteria that can cause a stomach infection and inflammation
  • frequent use of aspirin, ibuprofen, and other anti-inflammatory drugs (risk associated with this behavior increases in women and people over the age of 60)
  • smoking
  • drinking too much alcohol
  • radiation therapy
  • stomach cancer

This is only a list of major and common causes.  For example, major bodily burns can cause ulcer to develop in 24-48 hours.

I have eaten spicy food all of my life.  It does not make me eat more, I have never been overweight.  If you eat wholesome food mostly fresh and spice it to your taste, you should not have to go bland food is only fuel.  Unless of course if you have no self discipline.

But that's you. My point was that the food industry relies on spice to make food more desirable. They really do try to make food that is hard to stop eating. There are dozens of food science labs that design the flavoring, and they all rely on spice as part of the process along with texture and so on. 

Eating has little to do with self discipline. It has to do with being entrapped in the food culture and becoming one of those who eat for pleasure and entertainment and an antidote to boredom. The effects of modern manufactured food are designed to increase consumption. That fact that it doesn't work for say 10% of the population (such as your self) doesn't mean it doesn't work. It works plenty good on the rest of the population. 

To make the argument that only self control is involved just totally misses the industrial science and the medical science on this issue.

Edited by jo56steph74
  • Like 1

If you buy and eat fresh foods, you control the salt content.  Weren't you the one who said stupidity was intolerable?

Well, obviously I wasn't taking about fresh foods, otherwise I would not have mentioned food labs. 

Of course fresh food is better. And, I see no reason to add spices to it. But that's coming from MY perspective as a food for fuel adherent. If one is in the food culture, they will be enamored with doctoring fresh food into "recipes" - which I simply don't do.