Ulcers

Jeff Matthews

For my concern, I wasn't interested in the taxonomical problem of naming spices, minerals, sugars, enhancers, preservers. The point was to describe how manufactured food differs from natural food in ways that purposely try to increase consumption of the manufactured food.

It's beginning to look like not many people are aware of how manufactured food are designed?

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

To the contrary, what kind of idiot does not know these things in this day and age, hence accepting ones own responsibility for not eating fresh!!!

Roger

What kind of idiot doesn't know? I don't think they're idiots, because they represent most of the population.

You are back on the responsibility argument, but you didn't answer my previous post about that.

I disagree with you on that!

Most people are STUPID!

Over half of the population on the street is closer to the extreme high end of Mental Retardation which is an IQ of 70 than they are to me, and these same synapticaly challenged idiots get to vote, in a manner that will very likely nullify my vote.

I am glad that you find self esteem in blaming someone else for the fact that you are overweight, but not a single pound got put on your body that didn't go through your mouth.

In case you hadn't realized it, the rest of us aren't buying it :)

Roger

Some people can throw a baseball 100 MPH. Some people can solve complicated math in their head. Some people can play music by ear. Some people have extreme memory, and some people can resist food no matter how tasty it is. Others - the rest of us - don't necessarily have any of those powers.

Expert after expert after expert has totally debunked this "will power" story about food. In fact, the will power story is yet another way to A) deflect attention away from the food manufacturing industry while B) making people feel guilty and lose power.

The subject of food manipulation is huge, well studied, well documented in hundreds of journals and books. And, if you are not familiar with some of that material, you are probably a bit behind the science.

Well, then, to further your premise, why don't these stupid people cut down on salt? Apparently (and it is true), food-makers are making food extra salty to increase consumption. Therefore, to lower consumption, avoid it. Nobody is forcing anyone to eat a bag of Doritos. How about an apple, some broccoli, or rice?
Are you being serious?

You, are actually asking me to explain how consumerism works in modern society?

You look around and see 99% of the population eating these foods, and you say you have no idea how this could be happening?

Really?

You don't need to explain. I already know.

99% (and it's not really 99%) eat like crap - not because they are stupid - but because they want to. They like it. They don't care enough about the consequences. It is not a result of ignorance. There are no tricks being played on them.

Let's think about tricks.

A cereal box says, "the healthy, nutritious way to start the day. Meets 100% of the minimum daily requirements. And it's delicious!"

Now, it also contains 40g of sugar per serving. And it sits with 20 brand with roughly the same ingredients on the shelf.

Is mom being tricked when she buys this?

No.  Cereal has lots of sugar, but is not "bad," per se.  Of course, I would not have cereal for all 3 meals.

Let's get past cereal.  Cereal is not where the "epidemic" lies.  How about Ding Dongs, Doritos, Big Macs?  How about pizza and beer?

Who is being duped there?

^^^^^ These, plus how about POP? How many Sodas are you putting away, do tell us!

Rog

Some people can throw a baseball 100 MPH. Some people can solve complicated math in their head. Some people can play music by ear. Some people have extreme memory, and some people can resist food no matter how tasty it is. Others - the rest of us - don't necessarily have any of those powers.

Expert after expert after expert has totally debunked this "will power" story about food. In fact, the will power story is yet another way to A) deflect attention away from the food manufacturing industry while B) making people feel guilty and lose power.

The subject of food manipulation is huge, well studied, well documented in hundreds of journals and books. And, if you are not familiar with some of that material, you are probably a bit behind the science.

Well, then, to further your premise, why don't these stupid people cut down on salt? Apparently (and it is true), food-makers are making food extra salty to increase consumption. Therefore, to lower consumption, avoid it. Nobody is forcing anyone to eat a bag of Doritos. How about an apple, some broccoli, or rice?
Are you being serious?

You, are actually asking me to explain how consumerism works in modern society?

You look around and see 99% of the population eating these foods, and you say you have no idea how this could be happening?

Really?

You don't need to explain. I already know.

99% (and it's not really 99%) eat like crap - not because they are stupid - but because they want to. They like it. They don't care enough about the consequences. It is not a result of ignorance. There are no tricks being played on them.

Let's think about tricks.

A cereal box says, "the healthy, nutritious way to start the day. Meets 100% of the minimum daily requirements. And it's delicious!"

Now, it also contains 40g of sugar per serving. And it sits with 20 brand with roughly the same ingredients on the shelf.

Is mom being tricked when she buys this?

No.  Cereal has lots of sugar, but is not "bad," per se.  Of course, I would not have cereal for all 3 meals.

Let's get past cereal.  Cereal is not where the "epidemic" lies.  How about Ding Dongs, Doritos, Big Macs?  How about pizza and beer?

Who is being duped there?

What about Cereal?

I don't know about your mom, but my mom wasn't that dumb!

Instead of stuffing your face with TRIX, how about you actually Cook some old fashioned rolled oats and not load it down with sugar?

Roger

Retrace----

No one wants to describe the source of the "personal responsibility" argument?

How do you use a general philosophical position with no knowledge of it's implications and history?

Personal responsibility was taught to me by my parents, something that obviously yours did not sadly :(

Roger

Well, then, to further your premise, why don't these stupid people cut down on salt?  Apparently (and it is true), food-makers are making food extra salty to increase consumption. Therefore, to lower consumption, avoid it.  Nobody is forcing anyone to eat a bag of Doritos.  How about an apple, some broccoli, or rice?  It doesn't taste as "yummy?"  Well, boo-dee-hoo-hoo.

Although I am sure you don't mean it, this is a reflection of a lack of compassion for humanity, and an expression of "every man for himself" survival.

The biggest problem with the moral philosophy of "personal responsibility" is that it excludes compassion. For 10,000 years, Man's best mythology attempted to strengthen compassion. That's the glue of civilization. Why build a city if we hate each other and are only out for ourselves? Why build institutions if we want no part of assisting each other? In fact, we have a nation? A flag? A constitution? What's the point if the overriding philosophy is that each person is wholly responsible for their own life? 

All institutions become meaningless under the personal responsibility mantra. They are unnecessary. Extraneous. If Jane has to learn nutrition (a very deep subject for science) on my own as a mother of four kids, what's the point of the FDA? Or, the Institutes of Health? None. 

Being anti-society and anti-government is anyone's choice, but it is an extremely rare phenomenon. There are ZERO libertarian countries. There are only a few anarchistic nations, and none of those are considered healthy. The world just doesn't seem to move in that direction at all. How does one guy build a bridge over the river? How does one individual build an airport, or a super highway? Civilization is cooperation and cooperation requires trust and trust enables massive increase in productivity. If Mom can trust the FDA, and doesn't have to spend three years learning the science of nutrition, she can go off and get a job making widgets. TRUST is the foundation of all society. "Personal Responsibility" philosophy rejects trust and rejects compassion and makes each man an island.

Lay off of the Cool aide, it will help you loose weight! 

Roger

Absolutely. I know some folks that must have been pushed through the system........make quota or something.

I trained under some surgeons who "wrote the chapters" in staple surgical books. They were terrible in the OR.

So yes......they way I pick surgeons out for my family is a different process than the way a non-medical field person picks one out.

----------

On another note....regarding ulcers...abuse of NSAIDS. Eat a hole right through the gut. Aint got nuthin to do with H. pylori. Happens all the time.

Oh...and I'll probably drink some beer tonight with some skillet fried-up rice and beans from my lovely "Magdalena" from Nicaragua. She comes twice a week. :)

• Like 2

I just got an ulcer watching an unseasoned video of Danny DeVito telling me that our entire country is racist.  That short little Mario looking Pennywise hair sporting dego goomba wanna be trying to tell this overweight (too many processed foods evidently) receding hairline opinionated Kraut that I'm a freaking racist;  when I'm a member of this forum, where free speech and opinions are welcomed and met with true understanding and openness for all that is audio where one can own and purchase anything without the possibility of snide comments or opinions made to portray you as an imbecile!  Those freaking little people just pis me off.  :emotion-41:   LMAO

For my concern, I wasn't interested in the taxonomical problem of naming spices, minerals, sugars, enhancers, preservers. The point was to describe how manufactured food differs from natural food in ways that purposely try to increase consumption of the manufactured food.

It's beginning to look like not many people are aware of how manufactured food are designed?

To the contrary, what kind of idiot does not know these things in this day and age, hence accepting ones own responsibility for not eating fresh!!!

Roger

What kind of idiot doesn't know? I don't think they're idiots, because they represent most of the population.

You are back on the responsibility argument, but you didn't answer my previous post about that.

I disagree with you on that!

Most people are STUPID!

Over half of the population on the street is closer to the extreme high end of Mental Retardation which is an IQ of 70 than they are to me, and these same synapticaly challenged idiots get to vote, in a manner that will very likely nullify my vote.

I am glad that you find self esteem in blaming someone else for the fact that you are overweight, but not a single pound got put on your body that didn't go through your mouth.

In case you hadn't realized it, the rest of us aren't buying it :)

Roger

Oh, I have no doubt that you all think you are all STUPID. I wouldn't argue about that. 

Aren't you in the health care business somehow? Are you saying you don't know about the medical science regarding obesity causes? It sounds like you are unaware of the science. It doesn't point to "personal responsibility" or "Stupidity." Soooo, maybe you want to look into that?

Retrace----

How do you use a general philosophical position with no knowledge of it's implications and history?

Personal responsibility was taught to me by my parents, something that obviously yours did not sadly :(

Roger

Uh, let's see if I can simplify this for you. "Personal Responsibility" is a philosophy. It has roots in history as how it got to be competing with say, compassion, or social responsibility. I wasn't asking you who taught it to you, I was asking if you understood the roots of the idea, and how it came to be a cornerstone for some Americans in place of other well established values. 

Retrace----

Roger

Uh, let's see if I can simplify this for you. "Personal Responsibility" is a philosophy. It has roots in history as how it got to be competing with say, compassion, or social responsibility. I wasn't asking you who taught it to you, I was asking if you understood the roots of the idea, and how it came to be a cornerstone for some Americans in place of other well established values. 

Okay.  It was the Pilgrims!

• Like 2

Personal responsibility.  Well, when it comes to personal appearance and health issues who else is better tasked with this responsibility?  Obesity is now an epidemic so it has grown in incidence.  Yes there are some pathologies lending themselves to becoming overweight.  But facts are facts and if you cannot see for yourself that your own size is getting too large and that something needs to be done - then that is a failure on your part.  Like any 'ailment' get it medically looked into if necessary and then correct the problem.  Like alcohol abuse and tobacco addiction - the correction begin with personal acknowledgement and commitment.  Easier said than done?  Yup - it always is.  But today it is a whole lot easier than ever.  There is a lot of good info, good diets, good gyms and many incentives provided.  

Why is this even an argument?

• Like 1

Because "personal responsibility" and "stupidity" is not the sole cause of obesity according to the SCIENCE.

The argument ensued as I introduced  the ideas that food manipulation is so sophisticated it can bypass parts of the brain that reason and go directly to parts of the brain that are associated with addiction. 

The logic of PR is also quite flawed. To wit: if obesity is an epidemic, and its cause is a lack of responsibility, then there should be a corresponding loss of responsibility in other areas of life, statistically for the population. Well, there is no such corresponding loss of responsibility. In fact, the opposite is true - people are more responsible today. 

PR was first and foremost spread throughout the media as a defense against corporate regulation. In the long run, it is harming the social fabric by enforcing a survival of the fittest race. 

That's a few of the points that were being discussed. 

However, wanting to eat too much of a food that one knows is bad for one's health is a stupid move.

Didn't you just get done saying THAT^^^^?

I know we have a lot of denial here, but WOW! it was only a few minutes ago you said it was "stupid!"

I didn't say they are stupid, but that what they are doing is stupid if they know better and do it anyway. I realize that some people just don't know any better and are not aware of the havoc poor food choices can cause in their bodies, and I was not referring to them.   

The logic of PR is also quite flawed. To wit: if obesity is an epidemic, and its cause is a lack of responsibility, then there should be a corresponding loss of responsibility in other areas of life, statistically for the population. Well, there is no such corresponding loss of responsibility. In fact, the opposite is true - people are more responsible today. 

Not so fast.

People might juggle more responsibility these days, and then, again, maybe not.

Either way, this has nothing to do with gluttony.  Gluttony is but one of several vices.  Many people choose other vices.  Some have more than one.

This is about vices.  The suggestion to be "personally responsible" is not to suggest people are not responsible with respect to other aspects of their lives.  It is to suggest that, as they do with those other aspects, they can also do with respect to the vice... , i.e., act responsibly. 

Personal responsibility.  Well, when it comes to personal appearance and health issues who else is better tasked with this responsibility?  Obesity is now an epidemic so it has grown in incidence.  Yes there are some pathologies lending themselves to becoming overweight.  But facts are facts and if you cannot see for yourself that your own size is getting too large and that something needs to be done - then that is a failure on your part.  Like any 'ailment' get it medically looked into if necessary and then correct the problem.  Like alcohol abuse and tobacco addiction - the correction begin with personal acknowledgement and commitment.  Easier said than done?  Yup - it always is.  But today it is a whole lot easier than ever.  There is a lot of good info, good diets, good gyms and many incentives provided.  

This. Every person is responsible for their own actions.

Edited by Don Richard

Not so fast.

People might juggle more responsibility these days, and then, again, maybe not.

Either way, this has nothing to do with gluttony. Gluttony is but one of several vices. Many people choose other vices. Some have more than one.

This is about vices. The suggestion to be "personally responsible" is not to suggest people are not responsible with respect to other aspects of their lives. It is to suggest that, as they do with those other aspects, they can also do with respect to the vice... , i.e., act responsibly.

Tell me where you think the science comes into this?