Ulcers

Jeff Matthews

Now that you are back online, I'd like to know where you have lived in California (yes a question from another thread).  I trust personal experience over information from the interweb.  I'm trying to figure out where to go when I don't work anymore.  You might think Honolulu would already be it, but you haven't lived that close to my sisters in law.

Edited by oldtimer

Salt

"The more likely explanation is the quasi-addictive effect of high salt consumption. Food sellers don’t just want you to like their products, they want you to crave them in increasing quantities. The more salt a person eats, the more salt he or she wants. In 2011 researchers at Philadelphia’s Monell Chemical Senses Center, the source of many salt consumption studies, found that babies who eat salty, starchy foods almost immediately begin to crave salt at higher levels than their salt-naive peers. "

"Why do processed foods have so much salt?Because salt tastes great. Salt is often lumped together with fat and sugar, two other ingredients that humans find irresistible. "

"In 1937 Irish-born physician Robert Alexander McCance convinced several colleagues to join him on a salt fast and to further reduce their internal sodium levels with heavy exercise and sweating. After several days, they had very little appetite and their experience of flavor completely changed. McCance claimed that rinsing his mouth with sodium restored the taste of food, suggesting that salt is an important contributor to our interest in any foods, not just those with high salt levels."

Read the whole thing;http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/explainer/2013/05/salt_dietary_guidelines_why_do_food_manufacturers_use_so_much_salt.html

Some people can throw a baseball 100 MPH. Some people can solve complicated math in their head. Some people can play music by ear. Some people have extreme memory, and some people can resist food no matter how tasty it is. Others - the rest of us - don't necessarily have any of those powers. 

Expert after expert after expert has totally debunked this "will power" story about food. In fact, the will power story is yet another way to A) deflect attention away from the food manufacturing industry while B) making people feel guilty and lose power. 

The subject of food manipulation is huge, well studied, well documented in hundreds of journals and books. And, if you are not familiar with some of that material, you are probably a bit behind the science.

For my concern, I wasn't interested in the taxonomical problem of naming spices, minerals, sugars, enhancers, preservers. The point was to describe how manufactured food differs from natural food in ways that purposely try to increase consumption of the manufactured food.

It's beginning to look like not many people are aware of how manufactured food are designed?

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

To the contrary, what kind of idiot does not know these things in this day and age, hence accepting ones own responsibility for not eating fresh!!!

Roger

• Like 1

I never knew I could learn so much about food from a loudspeaker forum. I didn't know that eating food that tasted good was bad for you. Now I feel guilty, and that guilt has created stress.

I hope I don't get an ulcer. :o

Sure. You can also learn about bicycles and football! Imagine that!

For my concern, I wasn't interested in the taxonomical problem of naming spices, minerals, sugars, enhancers, preservers. The point was to describe how manufactured food differs from natural food in ways that purposely try to increase consumption of the manufactured food.

It's beginning to look like not many people are aware of how manufactured food are designed?

To the contrary, what kind of idiot does not know these things in this day and age, hence accepting ones own responsibility for not eating fresh!!!

Roger

What kind of idiot doesn't know? I don't think they're idiots, because they represent most of the population.

You are back on the responsibility argument, but you didn't answer my previous post about that.

Some people can throw a baseball 100 MPH. Some people can solve complicated math in their head. Some people can play music by ear. Some people have extreme memory, and some people can resist food no matter how tasty it is. Others - the rest of us - don't necessarily have any of those powers. 

Expert after expert after expert has totally debunked this "will power" story about food. In fact, the will power story is yet another way to A) deflect attention away from the food manufacturing industry while B) making people feel guilty and lose power. 

The subject of food manipulation is huge, well studied, well documented in hundreds of journals and books. And, if you are not familiar with some of that material, you are probably a bit behind the science.

Well, then, to further your premise, why don't these stupid people cut down on salt?  Apparently (and it is true), food-makers are making food extra salty to increase consumption. Therefore, to lower consumption, avoid it.  Nobody is forcing anyone to eat a bag of Doritos.  How about an apple, some broccoli, or rice?  It doesn't taste as "yummy?"  Well, boo-dee-hoo-hoo.

Edited by Jeff Matthews
  • Like 2

Roger

What kind of idiot doesn't know? I don't think they're idiots, because they represent most of the population.

You are back on the responsibility argument, but you didn't answer my previous post about that.

Actually, this responsibility argument is stronger than you give credit for.  

Go to a doctor's (GP's) office.  Talk to one.  Day-after-day (all day), they talk to people who are sick because they eat like crap and don't exercise.  The docs always tell them, "You need to eat right and exercise."  And not a one of these sick patients doesn't know what the doctor means.  Of course, they know what it means to eat right and exercise.

Nevertheless, these same people come back to the same doctors, month-after-month, year-after-year.  They never do the right thing.  They just come looking for a pill or some other solution.  

Ask the doctors and see if this isn't so.

• Like 1

Well, then, to further your premise, why don't these stupid people cut down on salt? Apparently (and it is true), food-makers are making food extra salty to increase consumption. Therefore, to lower consumption, avoid it. Nobody is forcing anyone to eat a bag of Doritos. How about an apple, some broccoli, or rice?

Are you being serious?

You, are actually asking me to explain how consumerism works in modern society?

You look around and see 99% of the population eating these foods, and you say you have no idea how this could be happening?

Really?

Well, then, to further your premise, why don't these stupid people cut down on salt? Apparently (and it is true), food-makers are making food extra salty to increase consumption. Therefore, to lower consumption, avoid it. Nobody is forcing anyone to eat a bag of Doritos. How about an apple, some broccoli, or rice?

Are you being serious?

You look around and see 99% of the population eating these foods, and you say you have no idea how this could be happening?

Really?

You don't need to explain.  I already know.

99% (and it's not really 99%) eat like crap - not because they are stupid - but because they want to.  They like it.  They don't care enough about the consequences.  It is not a result of ignorance.  There are no tricks being played on them.

• Like 1

Are you being serious?

Really?

You don't need to explain. I already know.

99% (and it's not really 99%) eat like crap - not because they are stupid - but because they want to. They like it. They don't care enough about the consequences. It is not a result of ignorance. There are no tricks being played on them.

Let's think about tricks.

A cereal box says, "the healthy, nutritious way to start the day. Meets 100% of the minimum daily requirements. And it's delicious!"

Now, it also contains 40g of sugar per serving. And it sits with 20 brand with roughly the same ingredients on the shelf.

Is mom being tricked when she buys this?

• Like 1