Ulcers

Jeff Matthews

Some people can throw a baseball 100 MPH. Some people can solve complicated math in their head. Some people can play music by ear. Some people have extreme memory, and some people can resist food no matter how tasty it is. Others - the rest of us - don't necessarily have any of those powers.

Expert after expert after expert has totally debunked this "will power" story about food. In fact, the will power story is yet another way to A) deflect attention away from the food manufacturing industry while B) making people feel guilty and lose power.

The subject of food manipulation is huge, well studied, well documented in hundreds of journals and books. And, if you are not familiar with some of that material, you are probably a bit behind the science.

Well, then, to further your premise, why don't these stupid people cut down on salt? Apparently (and it is true), food-makers are making food extra salty to increase consumption. Therefore, to lower consumption, avoid it. Nobody is forcing anyone to eat a bag of Doritos. How about an apple, some broccoli, or rice?
Are you being serious?

You, are actually asking me to explain how consumerism works in modern society?

You look around and see 99% of the population eating these foods, and you say you have no idea how this could be happening?

Really?

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

You don't need to explain. I already know.

99% (and it's not really 99%) eat like crap - not because they are stupid - but because they want to. They like it. They don't care enough about the consequences. It is not a result of ignorance. There are no tricks being played on them.

Let's think about tricks.

A cereal box says, "the healthy, nutritious way to start the day. Meets 100% of the minimum daily requirements. And it's delicious!"

Now, it also contains 40g of sugar per serving. And it sits with 20 brand with roughly the same ingredients on the shelf.

Is mom being tricked when she buys this?

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

No.  Cereal has lots of sugar, but is not "bad," per se.  Of course, I would not have cereal for all 3 meals.

Let's get past cereal.  Cereal is not where the "epidemic" lies.  How about Ding Dongs, Doritos, Big Macs?  How about pizza and beer?

Who is being duped there?

• Like 1

You don't need to explain.  I already know.   99% (and it's not really 99%) eat like crap - not because they are stupid - but because they want to.  They like it.  They don't care enough about the consequences.  It is not a result of ignorance.  There are no tricks being played on them.

I think I do need to explain. People do care about consequences. Very few people are self destructive, a mental disorder. Let's leave mental disease aside. There are two main issue around consumption that are important. 1) unintended consequences. 2) Misplaced trust.

Unintended Consequences  - Think how difficult is it to predict the weather in Denver three weeks from now. Even super computers can't do it with reliable results. Life is way more complicated than weather, and we are expecting mere humans to "calculate" all the probabilities of life so that every one of the millions of decisions has the best consequences. it doesn't work. First of all, it requires what is called "Perfect Knowledge." And, that's never available.

Misplaced Trust -

Although you and Margaret Thatcher may not believe in society, it exists. And it has institutions designed to make life better for humans. Part of that involves trust. We want to trust that the police are honest. We want to trust that the water company is checking the water for us. We want to trust that the FDA or the USDA is operating on truth and good faith when they approve foods and drugs and advise us on nutrition. Trust is a cornerstone of society. What happens when the trust is violated? When Nabisco, or Hormel "bribes" the USDA people in charge of nutrition? How does Mom know this has happened, and that the recommendations should NOT be followed? She lacks perfect information, and now the trust has been undermined.

That's how consumption is affected and why mere "personal responsibility" is illogical. 

Well, then, to further your premise, why don't these stupid people cut down on salt?  Apparently (and it is true), food-makers are making food extra salty to increase consumption. Therefore, to lower consumption, avoid it.  Nobody is forcing anyone to eat a bag of Doritos.  How about an apple, some broccoli, or rice?  It doesn't taste as "yummy?"  Well, boo-dee-hoo-hoo.

Although I am sure you don't mean it, this is a reflection of a lack of compassion for humanity, and an expression of "every man for himself" survival.

The biggest problem with the moral philosophy of "personal responsibility" is that it excludes compassion. For 10,000 years, Man's best mythology attempted to strengthen compassion. That's the glue of civilization. Why build a city if we hate each other and are only out for ourselves? Why build institutions if we want no part of assisting each other? In fact, we have a nation? A flag? A constitution? What's the point if the overriding philosophy is that each person is wholly responsible for their own life? 

All institutions become meaningless under the personal responsibility mantra. They are unnecessary. Extraneous. If Jane has to learn nutrition (a very deep subject for science) on my own as a mother of four kids, what's the point of the FDA? Or, the Institutes of Health? None. 

Being anti-society and anti-government is anyone's choice, but it is an extremely rare phenomenon. There are ZERO libertarian countries. There are only a few anarchistic nations, and none of those are considered healthy. The world just doesn't seem to move in that direction at all. How does one guy build a bridge over the river? How does one individual build an airport, or a super highway? Civilization is cooperation and cooperation requires trust and trust enables massive increase in productivity. If Mom can trust the FDA, and doesn't have to spend three years learning the science of nutrition, she can go off and get a job making widgets. TRUST is the foundation of all society. "Personal Responsibility" philosophy rejects trust and rejects compassion and makes each man an island.

Thanks Jo! Although I have nothing really to add I appreciate your insight into the subject. I have recently switched to a natural, whole foods diet about 6 months ago and I can tell you it was very hard for me. If you go to the grocery store it seems there's only maybe 1/4 of the store dedicated to "real food" spread out through the rest of the processed foods aisles and that's at the grocery store! Every other place you go to the number of processed food options far out weigh the whole food selection making it difficult to buy a healthy meal or snack while on the go.

Edited by jjptkd
  • Like 1

Thanks Jo! Although I have nothing really to add I appreciate your insight into the subject. I have recently switched to a natural, whole foods diet about 6 months ago and I can tell you it was very hard for me. If you go to the grocery store it seems there's only maybe 1/4 of the store dedicated to "real food" spread out through the rest of the processed foods aisles and that's at the grocery store! Every other place you go to the number of processed food options far out weigh the whole food selection making it difficult to buy a healthy meal or snack while on the go.

Good story. In the fresh food world, the common wisdom is this: Shop ONLY on the outer ring of the grocery store. That's where the fresh food is. Everything in the middle is manufactured faux-food. 

So, how have things been for you since changing to your new diet?

Things have been going great. I've lost 20 lbs in the last 6 months (of course I've also been running about 8 miles each day) and its like a "fog" has lifted. Even though I've reduced my total caloric intake by about 1/3 and started running and lifting light weights along with sit ups each day, I actually have more energy. Not only that but I find myself watching TV less and reading more, even just plain thinking about things more than I use to, its almost like coming out of a coma.

• Like 2

Things have been going great. I've lost 20 lbs in the last 6 months (of course I've also been running about 8 miles each day) and its like a "fog" has lifted. Even though I've reduced my total caloric intake by about 1/3 and started running and lifting light weights along with sit ups each day, I actually have more energy. Not only that but I find myself watching TV less and reading more, even just plain thinking about things more than I use to, its almost like coming out of a coma.

Great! That's actually the common experience of almost everyone I talk to in the "fresh food" world. The bad diet of manufactured foods does in fact lead to a "come-like" existence. Because their diet is actually sapping energy, even when they eat three times what they should. You're one of the lucky ones to have seen the light. 

In my experience the closer you get to a BMI of 20, the better you will feel and that is both physically and mentally. 

What a remarkable change!

• Like 2

99% (and it's not really 99%) eat like crap - not because they are stupid - but because they want to.

However, wanting to eat too much of a food that one knows is bad for one's health is a stupid move.

So, everyone knows an obese person. Your family, friends, co-workers, some are bound to be obese.  So, for the obese people, the message you are getting from your co-workers, friends and family in the "responsibility school" when they look at you is, "You are Irresponsible and Stupid." 

In fact they are not. The science is way ahead of you people. The causes of obesity is simply not "irresponsibility" or "stupidity." Read the science. Shockingly, some of you are in the medical science community and seem to know nothing about this science? 

So, everyone knows an obese person. Your family, friends, co-workers, some are bound to be obese. So, for the obese people, the message you are getting from your co-workers, friends and family in the "responsibility school" when they look at you is, "You are Irresponsible and Stupid."

Huh? That is an irrational response, makes no sense whatsoever.