RF-7 Continuation?

GeneralZod

I'd be interested to know the sales volume of the RF-7 II vs. the heritage models.

People always talk about a resurgence of 2 channel but I'm not seeing it compared to the growth of Home Theater. I'd say given the footprint along with appropriate center channel and surround the RF-7IIs sell quite a bit more...

• Like 3

I agree with you (imagine that).

Heritage is a niche market - no one wants large, obtrusive plywood boxes in their rooms (at least, that is how they are perceived)

Palladium uses a 4" horn loaded inverted cone. I thought they sounded nice, but I didn't think it was jaw dropping. The K-55 still sounds better to me.

So what is considered enough? The RF-7 II equaling a Chorus II or KLF-30 or CF-4 or a Forte or whatever? Even if we all agreed that all of the speakers I just mentioned sounded equally pleasing in all respects people are expected to just pony up a few thousand dollars for a "new" pair of production speakers that are basically the equivalent of several past models because "the wife" likes the way they look? :rolleyes:

I've been lucky enough to pick up near mint, perfectly working Forte's from the original owner before for $50, just come get 'em out of here! :ph34r:  The Forte really aren't that much wider and weigh about half as much as an RF-7 and from my limit experience with the RF-7, the Forte is, in my opinion, with all things considered a better speaker.

Maybe I just expect too much but if I'm going to throw out some hard earned cash on brand new speakers, top of the Reference line new speakers, I'd expect great things to come out of them, at least unquestionably better than the 30 year old speakers they'd be replacing. :huh:  I'm not saying the RF-7 is a bad speaker, I actually enjoyed the set I had, they were the best sounding 2-way Klipsch speaker I've ever heard but to me, my Crites updated Chorus II's just blew them away in overall clarity, sensitivity and loudness.

All that being said, I am VERY impressed with my Palladium P17b's-- they are much better than several other speakers their size that I've tried including the RB-75's. I can't speak for the full sized tower speaker versions but if they sound anything like I'm hearing with these bookshelf's than they are winners.

• Like 1

I've been lucky enough to pick up near mint, perfectly working Forte's from the original owner before for $50, just come get 'em out of here! :ph34r: The Forte really aren't that much wider and weigh about half as much as an RF-7 and from my limit experience with the RF-7, the Forte is, in my opinion, with all things considered a better speaker.

I actually like the 7's a little, not much, better than my Forte's with the crites XO.  Just shows, different strokes for different folks. For lack of a better term, some of the Heritage speakers have a more boxy bass sound.  It's not good or bad, just personal preference.

• Like 2

I'd be interested to know the sales volume of the RF-7 II vs. the heritage models.

With the Palladium being discontinued, and if the RF-7 II's seemingly at the end of its product life, I hope that there's enough remaining Heritage production in Hope to keep all those folks busy.

The folks at hope stay plenty busy building the commercial products.  I doubt the heritage line consumes much of their resources.

I've been lucky enough to pick up near mint, perfectly working Forte's from the original owner before for $50, just come get 'em out of here! :ph34r: The Forte really aren't that much wider and weigh about half as much as an RF-7 and from my limit experience with the RF-7, the Forte is, in my opinion, with all things considered a better speaker.

For lack of a better term, some of the Heritage speakers have a more boxy bass sound.

This is the exact reason that I prefer the RF/RP series over heritage models.

• Like 1

I agree with you (imagine that).

Heritage is a niche market - no one wants large, obtrusive plywood boxes in their rooms (at least, that is how they are perceived)

Palladium uses a 4" horn loaded inverted cone. I thought they sounded nice, but I didn't think it was jaw dropping. The K-55 still sounds better to me.

Interesting information about the k-55 vs Palladium.  If you think the k-55 on a k-400/k-401 horn sounds better than the Palladium mids, you probably saved me a bunch of money since I can't find a place locally to listen to them and would need to purchase unheard.

The horns in the RF series always had a lower frequency sibilance (no better way to explain it), that just wasn't right I think due to the throat on the horn.  I think the RP series horn cleans that stuff up, at least in my little RP-160m's.

The Heritage series have the mid/tweeter crossover that is usually identifiable and the larger horns have their own problems.

As for the RF-7 vs Forte (II), Forte II in the right room is a very good speaker and SO factor is quite reasonable.  That is the speaker Klipsch should have brought back.

• Like 2

The Palladium midrange driver/horn has a 4:1 compression ratio, so the sound is less "forced" - but it's also not nearly as dynamic. Once you get used to the hair trigger dynamics of a good compression driver, it's hard to go back to a cone - though it does sound very nice.

The RF series is easy to clean up.

On the larger Heritage loudspeakers, the transition between the midrange and tweeter is almost seamless if you use one of the two piece phase plug designs. There is still a bit of discontinuity, but it's barely noticeable.

Edited by Deang

The Palladium midrange driver/horn has a 4:1 compression ratio, so the sound is less "forced" - but it's also not nearly as dynamic. Once you get used to the hair trigger dynamics of a good compression driver, it's hard to go back to a cone - though it does sound very nice.

The RF series is easy to clean up.

On the larger Heritage loudspeakers, the transition between the midrange and tweeter is almost seamless if you use one of the two piece phase plug designs. There is still a bit of discontinuity, but it's barely noticeable.

I couldnt agree more. My Kg 5.5's are fun and the bass is more pronounced but with my LaScalas (especially after time aligning the tweeter by moving it back on top of the box) I literally only hear holographic voices as if someone was singing in front of me. Its almost creepy in a way its so real, like your brain is trying to process why your ears are telling it someone is there but your eyes say its nothing but speakers.

My Palladiums sound like a single driver behind the grill cover and yes, I don't think anyone would ever guess there's horns behind the screen either. They sound very life like and natural to me, emotions come through the music easily and I get that hair raising feeling on several songs that I never have before. In my current space, they are perfect for me.

When I had a pair of H-III's I thought they didn't sound anything like horn speakers either but in a bad way. Very dull and flat sounding, lacking dynamics and inner detail, especially when compared side by side with my Chorus II's. The Palladiums don't sound dull or flat, just silky smooth with plenty of detail. :wub:

• Like 1

I had about 5 pairs of K-horns and a pair of La Scalas.  The thing I disliked the most was the mid to tweeter crossover.  Every time I would watch concert videos, when clapping would start the crossover was very apparent.  Maybe my ears were more prone to that but far from seamless otherwise a lot of folks wouldn't be multi-amping their k-horns with delays.  The K-400 driver is just too far away from the tweeter.

I am happy though that you said the Palladium do sound very good in comparison helps though since the Palladium speakers are very good looking and would be great for many decors.  I have to just dig deep which I have a hard time doing without hearing.