Heresy I compared to Cornwall II as an upgrade

revox2tr

Hello everyone,

I registered on this forum as I recently bought a pair of 1983 Heresy (some people call them 1.5) and I listen to the dynamic/fast/sweet sound that comes out with ease.

My background is analog tape recorders and vinyl and lately computer audio via a great DAC.

Amplifiers SS and tube back and forth. The other speakers are both bookshelf acoustic suspension (one pair - a sophisticated sound US made and the other pair some modern german made powered studio monitors).

I found a pair of Cornwall II close to me advertised as "excellent condition with all original parts" and I would appreciate any opinion on the upgrade that may take place.

They are priced at USD 800 (or CAD 1250), triple the price I paid for the Heresy pair, half of the other ones.

Price is not my main concern but it is an important factor too.

The upgrade in sound quality is what I need advice on.

I listen to jazz, some classical and older rock/pop and analog recordings made with tube mastering gear or copies from master tapes.

Digital audio (hi-rez via macbook and amarra player out to the custom DAC) works too but on a different enjoyment level. 

Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

Edited by revox2tr

Thank you for encouraging me - I hope the Cornwalls image well. Klipsch brings this fast/efortless/relaxed sound, very intriguing ; imaging, soundstage and all the "precision" (and sometimes too analitical) sound of higher priced speakers may not come with the package - but I like the sound so much and I will purchase them if they are in good shape.

Thank you again

I have owned both the Heresy 1.5 and CWII at the same time. One thing I noticed was that the heresy seemed to have a slightly sweeter sound, but the CWII has way more bass.The Heresy is seriously lacking bass. Over all the CWII will run circles around a Heresy any day. I still have my CWII's and listen to them at my work Monday-Friday 9-5.. I really enjoy the CWII's with solid state class A amplification. There is just something about a Heresy that just sounds good to my ears.. I like them both, just differently. 

• Like 3

Great suggestion for the ported Heresy - thank you moray james - might as well keep both speakers.

Good to hear from Bossman about the "slightly sweeter sound" of the Heresy and the Cornwalls being better overall. (I like SS class A too. Tubes as well, for different flavours).

Heresy is kind of unbelievable to me as I keep listening to different sources.

I owned many different speakers but I was surprised how attractive the Heresy sounds - in fact a cheap old speaker as many would say.

I will not say here that it sounds better than my 4x more expensive speakers but some friends will hear me saying it, even if it may be coloured and have weaker bass.

The perspective of improving the sound as per the drawings above is another conforting thought.

Having more lower end is great news but the quality of the sound remains fascinating with or without the bass extension.

All speakers are different and you cannot have all qualities in one speaker - maybe the Cornwall is a step closer.

Edited by revox2tr

Keep your eyes open for a set of Forte ll and then after those a set of CF3 or CF4 but be aware the CF3/4 respond best to power and a pair of matching stereo blocks is the very best way (vertical bi amp) to run them, much better than a big mono block. Those are the best that Klipsch has to offer. For now get a set of new phenolic diaphragms (they are better than the stock diaphragms) from Bob Crites along with a set of his phenolic CT125 tweeters (both just drop in and play) and your Heresy will truly sing for you.

• Like 2

Thank you for the tips and advice - what i really like about Klipsch is the relaxed sound and the dynamics. Power and bass extension come as a bonus and are of great importance.

And there is something about the flow, the sound, difficult to define. I am even worried if/when changing diafragms not to change the character of the speakers - recapping ok - but I respect the experience of Klipsch owners that went for the change.

On the same note, Cornwall vs Heresy - I hope to find

the same sweetness and relaxation in the Cornwalls - SS or tube whatever necessary.

Edited by revox2tr

The new phenolic and titanium diaphragms are much superior to the stock units especially switching up to mid titanium diaphragms takes the speakers where the phenolic diaphragms simply cannot follow. There is no contest between ti and phenolic unless you are a hard core phenolic lover. You lose nothing you only gain.

Sounds like you have your answer but here is another vote to the Cornwall upgrade.  Of all the Heritage speakers, the Khorn is the only one I like better.

Mobile Homeless was a frequent poster here and had some nice things to say about the Cornwalls:

http://home.earthlink.net/~ivol/audio/set.htm

http://home.earthlink.net/~ivol/audio/other.htm

• Like 1

I know the Cornwall is well respected, but I find them too bass heavy. It is only my opinion. I have Heresy II speakers and had a wonderful pair of LaScalas. I never felt the need for a subwoofer with my LS, although they didn't have that deep, rumbling bass. Clean and fast/tight.

I will have another pair of LS up and running one of these days (the old ones left due to a financial need only).

Welcome to the forums... we're all a little crazy here.

Bruce

• Like 1

are you able to (or have a friend who is) or interested in building larger cabinets for your Heresy? You pretty much end up with a Forte which will play lower than a Cornwall does?

Cornwalls have a peak at 90 Hz. vs. 140 for a LaScala. Neither is flat.The Cornwall has FAT bass because of this peak.

I know the Cornwall is well respected, but I find them too bass heavy. It is only my opinion. I have Heresy II speakers and had a wonderful pair of LaScalas. I never felt the need for a subwoofer with my LS, although they didn't have that deep, rumbling bass. Clean and fast/tight.

I will have another pair of LS up and running one of these days (the old ones left due to a financial need only).

Bruce

Those who agree with you have never LIVED with really good subwoofers (not cheap ones) which means at least 3 of them balanced out in the room acoustically and EQ'd. Once you have that you will never live without. I currently have 3 Danley TH-50's of which 4 are used in a Chicago IMAX theater. Yeah, I like headroom, and bass detail, but with the same FEEL as live bass. You have to feel the bass below 60 hz. to really expericence the full spectrum that has been on CD's down to 4 Hz. for over 3 decades.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 2

Bruce

Those who agree with you have never LIVED with really good subwoofers (not cheap ones) which means at least 3 of them balanced out in the room acoustically and EQ'd. Once you have that you will never live without. I currently have 3 Danley TH-50's of which 4 are used in a Chicago IMAX theater. Yeah, I like headroom, and bass detail, but with the same FEEL as live bass. You have to feel the bass below 60 hz. to really expericence the full spectrum that has been on CD's down to 4 Hz. for over 3 decades.

+1 for really good subwoofers.  I can tell you from recent experience that my KP250's (Heresy's) sound unbelievable coupled with one F20.  I also own Cornwall's and Split Cornscala's and yes, they have much more base than the Heresy, but I run those with subs too.

• Like 1

Bruce

+1 for really good subwoofers.  I can tell you from recent experience that my KP250's (Heresy's) sound unbelievable coupled with one F20.  I also own Cornwall's and Split Cornscala's and yes, they have much more base than the Heresy, but I run those with subs too.

+1 from me too!!! I own Cornwalls and I also run 4 subs EQ'd and room treatments. 

• Like 1

Bruce

+1 from me too!!! I own Cornwalls and I also run 4 subs EQ'd and room treatments. 

-1 from me... ;) For the most part, space precludes me from adding multiple subs, although one might get worked in. We all like what we like. Given the original poster's setup and musical tastes, he may also not need or want a sub. We are always so quick to spend other folks money and tell them they need to add everything else to their system to get enjoyment out of it. Let him enjoy what he has and just be in the moment.  /rant off

Bruce

-1 from me... For the most part, space precludes me from adding multiple subs, although one might get worked in. We all like what we like. Given the original poster's setup and musical tastes, he may also not need or want a sub. We are always so quick to spend other folks money and tell them they need to add everything else to their system to get enjoyment out of it. Let him enjoy what he has and just be in the moment.  /rant off   Bruce

Totally get the space issue. Haven't always had it. But when there's a will there's a way. One guy here did my Heretical Heresy mod and says he doesn't need a sub. When I had my first pair in my bedroom in Indy a few years back, they went down to 30 Hz. I didn't believe it until I measured and it was true. Now Jim Jimbo has those, but I still have 3.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 1