Hereseys in steel building?

JoeDirt

I am completing a 100' x 60' steel building with a concrete floor and 16' ceiling.

I wired all 4 corners for speakers. Now.... What do I use? First thought was Hereseys in all 4.

Second thought was Rb35s in all 4.

I hope to keep their placement above 8 feet so I will have nothing blocking sound.

Got any helpful hints?

Do I build shelves?

Do I mount speakers to walls?

Point them down slightly?

I have 2 weeks to get this done.

Thanks for your consideration.

Joe

• Moderators

What's the building going to be used for ? I ask because if you want big full sound Heresy's may struggle a little. If just music add a sub or two to help.

If you really want to fill it I have an idea you could build and would only need 2 for that space. 

Myself I like the idea of two on one end, done right it will fill 60x100.

Myself I like the idea of two on one end, done right it will fill 60x100.

+1 although I don't think the Heresy's are going to cut it in that big of a space.  I can get them to concert levels with a sub in a 24'x24' space, but that's a huge area to fill so I have a feeling that dtel is going to suggest something a bit larger that could. :D

What are your sound expectations?  Concert level, back ground noise? 

• Moderators
I have a feeling that dtel is going to suggest something a bit larger that could.

I can't help  myself  :) But what I'm thinking wouldn't cost more than 4 Heresy's and easily fill that space, if Joe Dirt could operate a saw ?

That is a big space :mellow:

I have a single Jamboree, you could build another and put some big horns on top.  I have just the setup for you in that case(yes that was a shameless plug for my gear for sale). 

Anyway In St. Louis there is that Tim fellow with MWM's for $200.00 a piece, again a big horn on top and you'll be jamming.

• Like 1

Looking for use as background noise.  The building houses my trucks and we occasionally do light mechanical work on them.  So it's the whole "whistle while you work" thing.  I have a temporary Sound Dock in there now.  It is audible, but like most of you here, audible is just not enough.  Don't need concert levels, but whenever Radiohead's Just comes on the playlist, the volume is going to 11.  Powered by a 125 watt Sony AVR.

• Like 1

I have a single Jamboree, you could build another and put some big horns on top.  I have just the setup for you in that case(yes that was a shameless plug for my gear for sale). 

Anyway In St. Louis there is that Tim fellow with MWM's for $200.00 a piece, again a big horn on top and you'll be jamming.

Oh my..... never considered that idea.  Interesting........

We can all ways try it out.  The nice thing about the jamboree is they fit into a corner, two would fit the bill with ample amount of loudness.

• Like 1

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/5385826295.html

The mcm sound superb at low volume, yet have the balls to fill that space when called upon

That's the guy I was talking about.  He is the one I got my EV horns from.  If you wanted a pair I would sell you mine for what he charged me.  Pm me if interested. (again another shameless plug).

• Moderators

I use these for the yard, and they can fill a large area. You don't have to spend a fortune on top horns, this is Klipsch K-400 horn and Bob Crites tweeters with AA crossovers. A single bin with one top on each side will easily fill your shop, guaranteed. It's like a split LaScala but with much more bass. And if you want the drawing of the bass bins with all measurements to diy let me know. I think you would be shocked at the sound.

post-9700-0-70360000-1455913722_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-96640000-1455913743_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Joe, send Mustang Guy a note.  I know he has spent considerable time figuring out how sound works in a large space.  He has a building that at least that size or maybe a little bigger.  He has so many speakers in that place and since his handle is Mustang Guy I dubbed his building "the Speaker Ranch."  B)

He has his listening area cut in half.  The listening area he uses has 3 La Scalas across the front floor or sound stage with (I think) a Table Tuba, a large horn loaded sub.

Then he has three La Scalas across the back wall, all mounted or at least raised about 6 feet.  They might be on a steel shelf of some kind.  I'm pretty sure has or had Heresy's at one time. 

The Mustang Ranch has sound better than the best sound in our local movie theater.  In fact it's better than anything I have ever heard. 

And who knew the Mustang ranch has more to do with his love for cars then for horses?  :lol:

I use these for the yard, and they can fill a large area. You don't have to spend a fortune on top horns, this is Klipsch K-400 horn and Bob Crites tweeters with AA crossovers. A single bin with one top on each side will easily fill your shop, guaranteed. It's like a split LaScala but with much more bass. And if you want the drawing of the bass bins with all measurements to diy let me know. I think you would be shocked at the sound.

wow -- with my bad ears, i could probably even hear those.

• Moderators

We can all ways try it out.  The nice thing about the jamboree is they fit into a corner, two would fit the bill with ample amount of loudness.

True they have a smaller footprint but would still fill a huge area.  :emotion-21:  

• Moderators

wow -- with my bad ears, i could probably even hear those.

That's the deal BSM, as you get older you get bigger speakers to compensate, ...........it only works with speakers.  :ph34r:

• Like 2

• Moderators
Then he has three La Scalas across the back wall, all mounted or at least raised about 6 feet.  They might be on a steel shelf of some kind.  I'm pretty sure has or had Heresy's at one time. 

I think he has it set up for HT, but you can sit in cars like at a drive in theater inside his building. He put a picture once, it looked very cool.