A good thing, or a bad thing?

Bella

Regarding the wildcat:

1. Why does it run with its front legs together?  

2. We've got the most sophisticated robot technology available, and the thing runs off of a weed eater engine?

That was the early prototype. The second video is where they are now (all electric). Not sure about the running since they didn't show that. But a robot that can anticipate loss of balance (from a push) and recover if knocked over is amazing to me.

Space exploration. Sending robots to places we cannot go without supplies will prove to be groundbreaking, I think.

Mars is just the first step and we've already got robot explorers there. I think it is possible in the next 50 years to send an advanced robot to another solar system to walk on a distant planet surface; take samples and analyze them in an advanced laboratory sent with it. Perhaps even be the first Ambassador to another species?

EDIT: After posting this I realized that I didn't say anything different than what we are already doing. I guess what I mean is that I hope we focus on the scientific endeavors of this technology and not so much on the military applications.

Edited by Bella

I just watched a Frontline program on this technology about 3 - 4 days ago.  There are world-class competitions where entrants put their humanoid-type robots to the test of an obstacle course which is supposed to utilize obstacles like those which would be encountered in typical human-rescue situations, with piles of rubble, doors to open, stairs to climb, etc.  It was pretty cool.  Staying upright was the hardest part of all of it.  They were very expensive gadgets - $2 million some of them - and when they would tip over and fall, it was pretty unnerving.