Photos from the Klipsch Museum in Las Cruces

dbomberger

New Mexico State University is home to the Paul and Valerie Klipsch Museum.  Paul and Valerie have been prominent donors and provided the incredible selection of materials from Paul's career, his early history which is centered around Las Cruces and the opportunity to hear and compare the Heritage line up as well as listening to the original Jubilee's. Wonderful museum available by appointment only.  See my earlier post from Monday for more details. Also search for Klipsch Museum or Las Cruces on the forum for the reports of others as well.  Highly recommended if you are in the area.

NMSU is where Paul got his B.S. in electrical engineering degree -- in essence, that is where it all started.  Of course back when he was in school, it was called the New Mexico College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts.

Even with glass tops on the Klipschorn pair, I hope the plants aren't real...

No, not real plants.  That room is normally locked up and only opened on occasion whenever someone requests a tour of the museum.  Hint: don't go there when school isn't in session as there will be nobody there to open it up for you.

In the photo with the wooden T-square, what's up with the "Swastika" plaque? 

Hitler ruined a perfectly good symbol.  I saw some early Rudyard Kipliing books for example that were decorated with the symbol.  Kind of kept me from wanting to own them.  Lots of other similar examples. 

• Like 1

• PWK also went to Stanford (for graduate work?)

In the photo with the wooden T-square, what's up with the "Swastika" plaque? 

Hitler ruined a perfectly good symbol.  I saw some early Rudyard Kipliing books for example that were decorated with the symbol.  Kind of kept me from wanting to own them.  Lots of other similar examples. 

• I agree with dbomberger, Hitler ruined it.  While, after the Nazi horror, it may make us sick to see it, it does have a long history in several cultures, on several continents.  Since it was around in pre-Columbian America, it's use by New Mexico State University (formerly "college") may arise from a Native American culture nearby.  I don't know, but I'll bet the answer is somewhere online.  According to A Dictionary of Symbols (page 307, hardbound version), it was sometimes used by Hindus (thus Kipling), Celts, and even shows up in a Christian catacomb.  It can be seen as a solar symbol, or a solar wheel.  I think I heard of it being associated with fire ... or with the area of the sky we call The Big Dipper.  It (obviously) can be seen as symbolizing rotation (revolution?).  I think the Nazi one was somewhat tilted, and some of the others were not.