RP280f instead of Quartets?

Grizzog

Thank you for the responses. Some great info here.

Moray, you mentioned that the 4 8" woofers are about equal to 3 10". Do the 12" passives on the Quartet count towards this, or are they basically equal to the port of the 280?

I also agree that 2 ways can sound better integrated especially in normal home listening distances. I just don't want to sacrifice midrange detail. 1750hz as the crossover just sounds like there is a big chunk of midrange not covered by the horn...but paper specs generally don't mean much for the final product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To address the mid-range, the good part about the the design is that it uses 8" woofers crossed that low.  1800hz and lower will likely give a reasonable match in dispersion between the woofers and the horn.

On the detail, since the 8" woofers are not much bigger than many mids, certainly not as big as a 10", you should get a reasonable amount of detail from them at that crossover point.  Not as much as a dedicated midrange but likely very reasonable integration and likely better integration than the 3-way.  The downside would be the dual woofers at that crossover in the time domain.  I prefer multi-woofer'd two way crossed  this high as an MTM so you get rid of the time domain issues and the mid-range is more forward.  

Likely since you have to raise the Quartets off the floor to ear height to get to hear the same level of detail, the RP280 sounds like the ticket.  The biggest speaker I would take off the floor and have look acceptable is the Heresy.  That would only be on 12" tilted stands.  The Quartet doesn't seem to be the way to go when raising them.

Thread crashing. :ph34r:

I wouldn't mind a set of RF-63's

Speaking of RF-63's and RP's, I think Klipsch should build an RP-360F with three 6.5" woofers and a 1.25" titanium compression driver(RP tractrix) with real wood veneer.

As far as keeping Quartets, put them in a small stereo rig in your man space and please the bride with some nice new modern RP-280Fs in the common(her) space.  

Bill

Speaking of RF-63's and RP's, I think Klipsch should build an RP-360F with three 6.5" woofers and a 1.25" titanium compression driver(RP tractrix) with real wood veneer.

As far as keeping Quartets, put them in a small stereo rig in your man space and please the bride with some nice new modern RP-280Fs in the common(her) space.

Bill

Man space is covered...so I guess she could win this one. I mean, I'm not really losing...SHE suggested I get NEW Klipsch. :-)

3e7a02070c50a849bf5e42081d3e2a1d.jpg

• Like 1

Man space is covered...so I guess she could win this one. I mean, I'm not really losing...SHE suggested I get NEW Klipsch. :-)

Just go for it.  How often to you get the SO to say "just go buy new audio equipment"?  

Well my SO is trying to get me to add a set of PSB T3s in Cherry to my pile of equipment.  I know as soon as they would get here, she'd kick out the KLF-30s.

• Like 1

The debate on a 3 way vs 2 way design is long stand and which is better is a it depends answer.  The ideal of a dedicated midrange makes sense on the surface.  But, the room, cabinet design, XO components is what leads to the it depends answer.  A well done two way and 3 way speaker can both produce jaw dropping music and sound great.  The ear has to be the final judge.  I went through this with my Forte's.  Back and forth on which I preferred.  It was so close that there never was a clear winner.  I finally kept the RF 7's because they where superior in the movie department.

Bill

I have been hoping for similar just with rp380f. If the horn used in the 280f is 8" it should be at least that size with any new rp flagships still to come.

Thank you for the responses. Some great info here.

Moray, you mentioned that the 4 8" woofers are about equal to 3 10". Do the 12" passives on the Quartet count towards this, or are they basically equal to the port of the 280?

I also agree that 2 ways can sound better integrated especially in normal home listening distances. I just don't want to sacrifice midrange detail. 1750hz as the crossover just sounds like there is a big chunk of midrange not covered by the horn...but paper specs generally don't mean much for the final product.

To address the mid-range, the good part about the the design is that it uses 8" woofers crossed that low.  1800hz and lower will likely give a reasonable match in dispersion between the woofers and the horn.

On the detail, since the 8" woofers are not much bigger than many mids, certainly not as big as a 10", you should get a reasonable amount of detail from them at that crossover point.  Not as much as a dedicated midrange but likely very reasonable integration and likely better integration than the 3-way.  The downside would be the dual woofers at that crossover in the time domain.  I prefer multi-woofer'd two way crossed  this high as an MTM so you get rid of the time domain issues and the mid-range is more forward.  

Likely since you have to raise the Quartets off the floor to ear height to get to hear the same level of detail, the RP280 sounds like the ticket.  The biggest speaker I would take off the floor and have look acceptable is the Heresy.  That would only be on 12" tilted stands.  The Quartet doesn't seem to be the way to go when raising them. My Heresy 3 are up on 22 inch Skylan four post stands (risers removed).

Here is a picture of a set of Harbeth M40 which are very similar in size to the Forte up on 14 inch Skylan four post stands. This is very much what my sons Forte ll look like on his four post Skylan stands (with the factory risers removed) . You only have to look and see just how many ultra high end two way eight inch with one inch done tweeters speakers there are with crossover points in the 3 - 3.5Khz range  to know that an eight inch has no trouble with mid range reproduction. In the world of Pro sound a TEN is a mid driver.

post-44375-0-37120000-1456679386_thumb.j

post-44375-0-39520000-1456679917_thumb.j

So I decided to give it a shot and ordered the 280. It's really up to my wife on which pair stays...I won't be able to keep both. I'll keep you guys updated on the comparison because there will be an A/B test. The Quartets may be coming to a garage sale section near you, even though they are awesome and I would love to keep both. Fully updated and in great shape, so I'm not sure how I feel about this.

• Like 1

They arrived.

First impressions: Why must I like all Klipsch speakers????

I'm going to create a new topic to post my review and impressions. I want to let these break in before I make decisions. I also want to do a test against the Quartets and Heresy III.

...and for anyone that is concerned Klipsch inflates their sensitivity specs, put those cares away.

b27f27de7d021f5189291552c1ea1813.jpg

Edited by Grizzog
  • Like 2

Howdy,    Ski Bum has the right idea on this one.  Buy the 280s to appease the little lady and keep the Quartets and put them in a useful place. (study, den, basement, garage, etc.)  Obviously, you like the sound of the Quartets by making the investment by upgrading them---continue to enjoy their sound.  

Here is a picture of a set of Harbeth M40 which are very similar in size to the Forte up on 14 inch Skylan four post stands. This is very much what my sons Forte ll look like on his four post Skylan stands (with the factory risers removed) . You only have to look and see just how many ultra high end two way eight inch with one inch done tweeters speakers there are with crossover points in the 3 - 3.5Khz range  to know that an eight inch has no trouble with mid range reproduction. In the world of Pro sound a TEN is a mid driver.

The 8" woofers work well but their dispersion suffers.  Also crossing over in the 3k range poses other problems. 3k with 6db, is another story altogether.

In multi woofer systems, as you go up in the frequency range, you time domain issues get worse along with having to manage the dispersion characteristics.  That is why a MTM in a 2 way (if possible) or the use of a 2.5 or more way crossover should be incorporated in a multi-woofer staggered, non-MTM design.

I would guaranty this is why CF-4 and the CF-3 is loved.  Lower crossover and MTM cleaning up some of the time domain issues (if listened to at proper angle otherwise much worse).

Grizzog, What are your initial impressions of the new horn and tweeter?  I wanted to know why you stated "why must I like all Klipsch speakers".

Edited by pzannucci

Still waiting to make judgements. Both I and my wife remarked they sounded warmer the second day of play. I know some don't subscribe to break-in, but for moving parts such as woofers, I definitely think it's a real thing, so I want to give them a fair shot against speakers that have had ~25 years of music. They will also be going against a set of Heresy III that I've had for about a year. I'm very interested in how those two compare since the Heresy has the newly designed crossover and new parts, but the old design.

I can say that the dispersion and sweet spot are much wider than that of the quartets. They are also incredibly smooth, and are astonishingly clear at any volume I've yet played.

I'll be working on taking some detailed pictures with a full description once they are broken in.