Economy tube amp?

dtr20

I have a pair of belles that I would love to hear with a tube amp. I listen to classic rock, hard Rick, metal, etc. I'm currently running them with an old 2 channel Sony amp that sounds great. Is there a decent cheap tube amp that I could try? Even a basic diy kit could be cool. Anything for $100-200 or am I dreaming?

You're not dreaming.  Maynard has cooked up and posted schematics for exactly what you need and within or close to your budget right here.  Flea power, if that will work. 

Can you scrape together a few more ducats?  I've noticed a few of those Dennis Had Inspire amps pop up lately in the $700-$900 range.

Much depends on your listening level and how close to the Belles you are sitting when listening.  See my post in the thread about the Decware amp for some comments on the required power.  Where are you located?  There may be forum members nearby who are using tubes and can offer you a demonstration.

Maynard

We usually listen to them about 8-10 ft away in bed. I'm located in Massachusetts. I've heard tube amps on a pair of heresy's with jazz. The guy that demo ed this, also demoed a pair of forte II's. He listens to rock on forte II's with a solid state amp.

• 2 weeks later...

When I look online for tube amps, it's either really expensive, or the cheap stuff, I just don't know about it. I don't really know anyone that can service tube amps. I think I'm going to give up for a little bit. I've been doing some work in my home theater lately. I may try the monoprice hybrid tube/solid state amp at some point.

Take a look at the Antique Sound Labs Wave 8 monoblocks.  They were about $100 each when they first came out many years ago.  Not sure if they are still available but they were fairly decent, especially at that price.

Edited by JMON

I take a somewhat different view in that to really appreciate what tubes can do in your system they need to be the last link in the signal chain before the speakers.  While feeding a SS amp with a tube device may alter its sound somewhat, you certainly will not get the full "tube experience."  As to knowing anyone who services tube equipment, there are loads of competent guys around, so don't let that influence your decision to get involved with them.  With Belles you have a wonderful opportunity to try tubes without spending a great deal!  It's really something you should try to experience if at all possible.

Maynard 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I take a somewhat different view in that to really appreciate what tubes can do in your system they need to be the last link in the signal chain before the speakers.  While feeding a SS amp with a tube device may alter its sound somewhat, you certainly will not get the full "tube experience."  As to knowing anyone who services tube equipment, there are loads of competent guys around, so don't let that influence your decision to get involved with them.  With Belles you have a wonderful opportunity to try tubes without spending a great deal!  It's really something you should try to experience if at all possible.

Maynard 

+2

I have played with the system in my bedroom. I tried my VAC amp with a Kroll ss preamp. It was OK. I then tried a

Cary tube preamp with a ss amp. Sounded about the same. But when I combined the VAC with the Cary the differences were amazing...smooth, warm, great sound stage. So in my case, it took tubes in both to get the intended result.

Edited by eth2