The making of the best Martini I ever had

Pete H

I would however like to try a good Long Island Iced Tea

Oh, I LOVE fancy tropical rum drinks!  Rum is amplified by anything tropical and SO good in the hot summer!  Same for a first rate mint julep.  I'd say my "excel" drinks are Barbados Rum Punch, Mint Julep, and G&T.  Those who've had them will put mine up against anything.

Dave

No but it will mask it.

Then why put it in there?  Puzzling.  You can "mask" an open sewer...

Dave

Because it's cheap and you generally can't tell the difference. I think MD hacked Dave's account. I better call him.

Next year in Hope:  The Great Martini Mashup 

Carl takes on all challengers individually or collectively.  It'll be a slaughter...

Hmm...I might do my rather famous Gin & Tonic as a palette cleanser.  Sub zero glasses with PWK logo, choice of Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire, also sub zero, Schweppes tonic just above slush level cold, half a lime.  Mixed at VERY high speed and with minimal bruising of the tonic served over clear rock ice.  Serve with Klipsch speakers...

Dave

Dave is up to speed.....he knows not to bruise the ingredients.  Memo to Carl....you're bruising the vodka with 100 shakes :wacko:

Memo to Carl....you're bruising the vodka with 100 shakes

Is that what all the old wives tell you at the club?  Shake it once or 100 times, it's the same thing.  If you're worried about aeration then stir it.

This is going to be easy.

All kidding aside, all of this is subjective, just like audio.  Everyone's ears and palate are different.

Over the years I've experimented and learned how to make martinis the way I want them to taste.  I've also tweaked all my audio systems to sound the way I want them to sound.  If you don't like my stereos or my martinis it's a matter just of preference or taste.  It doesn't mean either one of us are right or better, just different.

Edited by CECAA850
  • Like 2

I'm pretty much beer, or straight up whisky, bourbon and tequila guy, but a great margarita is absolutely influenced by the tequila that is used.

It's hard to beat a shot then a cold beer chaser. 

I had quite a few cosmopolitans last week, they were pretty good.

So what's the drink of choice for the Indy 500?  The last race I went to there was the Brickyard back in 99 or 2000 and the entire weekend was on Conseco including a sit down dinner event with AJ seats in the suite, an absolutely incredible weekend and one that I doubt I will ever top for a race.

Dave is up to speed.....he knows not to bruise the ingredients. Memo to Carl....you're bruising the vodka with 100 shakes

I probably should have said "combine" the ingredients.  The "mixing" is just a bare dip of a spoon to distribute things.  I am MAJOR on carbonation being as lively as possible.  Even though it is cheaper, I won't buy anything but the smallest bottles of tonic and then I use it up within an hour of opening it.  Anything left overnight is dumped.

Dave

• Moderators

Rule number one; go to Hope

Rule number two: make sure Carl is going to Hope

Rule number three:  make sure Carl shakes it 100 times, not 99 and not 101, 100, it's critical, just ask him.

Golden rule:  make sure it's the first martini that you've ever had and I promise you it will be the best!

Seriously, I had never had a martini in my life, vodka yes, martini no, and in my ignorance, I thought they were the same thing, until the master educated me and many others, as I recall.  I told Carl that I would try one, and after he was finished, there wasn't much for me to say with the exception of, "I don't really taste anything at all" but to my surprise, after I was then given a taste of the vodka that was used straight up I was pretty amazed that he had taken something, that really didn't taste that great at all on it's own, and made it as clean as a glass of ice cold spring water.  Kinda weird and Carl might be a witch or something, but worked for me and one of these clear concoctions seemed to supply quite a buzz to those who participated.

Anyone who makes claims that "they" are the best Martini maker, well, all I can say is quit talking and prove it at the next event and until then may I formally introduce, Carl, the Martini King!

Just seen this and I have to agree, it was the same experience i had. 

I would think it could be dangerous, taste very light and easy to drink but it is powerful. It was my first drink everyday with nothing afterwards for a long time so i know what effect just one has. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
All this tomato juice in beer, flavors in vodka, honey in whisky and such thoroughly repel me.  It just ain't right.  If one doesn't like the stuff as it God intended, just don't drink it. 

I don't like flavored beers but I do like one brand of honey whiskey so since he was drug into this God made bees who make honey so....OK OK I just like it and it was Carl who introduced it to me........I starting to see a trend here.

• Like 1

• Moderators

It's the carbonation that's responsible for that effect. It's also why I don't drink beer. I can sip Vodka or Whisky all day long - but three beers will put me away.

I'm exactly the same way, which i can't figure out because i did drink beer in the past. 

• Like 1

I don't like flavored beers but I do like one brand of honey whiskey so since he was drug into this God made bees who make honey so....OK OK I just like it and it was Carl who introduced it to me........I starting to see a trend here.

Enjoy, dtel.  Carl has bad taste in everything except martinis, speakers, and subwoofers...

Dave

• Like 1

I've been thinking about having a one martini shake off with Chuck, declare him the winner and as such, maker of martinis for the next gathering.  I'm sure I can find something else to do while he's behind the bar B)

• Like 2

• Moderators

Enjoy, dtel.  Carl has bad taste in everything except martinis, speakers, and subwoofers...

Dave

But one thing I think, that's how he stays in good shape, could you imagine how many times he shook that shaker 100 times, there were many martini glasses around. I would guess his arms are a little bigger this week. 

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1