The making of the best Martini I ever had

Pete H

Carl's martini is fantastic!

Now, about differences in vodka:

"The standard of identity for vodka was promulgated in 1949, in T.D. 5707, 1949-2 C.B. 252. The standard for vodka provided that it was neutral spirits distilled from any material at or above 190 proof, reduced to not more than 110 proof and not less than 80 proof and, after such reduction in proof, so treated as to be without distinctive character, aroma, or taste. Although no explicit definition of the term "distinctive" could be found in the hearing record, the testimony indicates that vodka is to be as tasteless and odorless as possible."

per ATF and CFR.

I'm on gin today as I don't like to mix BUT tomorrow I'll make my first ever tequila martini and report back!

Glad there is a button "follow this topic"  B)

I never would have thought of this if it wasn't for you guys.  If it's good, you guys get all the credit.  If it's horrid, I'll say I screwed up by trying it in the first place.  Gotta mow the yard and get my garage system up and running again first.  News at 11.

100 shake cycles.

Ok, we've have the magic shake ratio. Now what about the ice - vodka/gin ratio? I imagine that is critical to the finished product??

Inquiring, thirsty minds need to know, dontcha' know.

I can't give away all my secrets.  I don't want Chuck to gain a competitive advantage dontchaknow.

I recall Winchester was pretty up to snuff on martinis.  He was the first I heard say he didn't want to be able to taste the vodka.  He also was a Belvedere guy as I am.  I suspect a lot of folks are just shaking or stirring vodka and ice forgoing the dry vermouth.  My practice is to swirl a little vermouth in the ice cold martini glass so that it coats the sides of the glass then pour out the remainder.  It has become fashionable to drink martinis really dry or dirty which all are variations of the original as is vodka.  I believe the original martini was gin though I could be wrong.  Then you throw in garnishes and you create something different once more.  Then there is the argument of grain or potato vodka and so on and on.....

As a side note I was discussing vodka with my friend from LA who owns half of The Vanguard Lounge in Vegas and he told me of doing a taste test with a wine and spirits rep at his bar.  As I recall the vodkas were Gray Goose, Ketel One, Absolut, Stoli, and Kirklands (Costco brand distilled by Gray Goose and double filtered).  Kirkland's won! 

One other tidbit I heard was that Gray Goose once was almost bankrupt and later bought our by a gent who through slick advertising turned the brand around.

Keep in mind that all the above was conversation over a couple of martinis with no Wikipedia in hand to verify accuracy :emotion-46:

• Like 1

We did a blind taste test at my house years ago also. I think we had 4 or 5 brands whose names escape me. All that stood out to me was that we ranked them differently when tasted straight from the bottle than when used in a martini. I haven't used vermouth in years as,even a little will change the taste of the finished product. Some like that taste which I can certainly appreciate.

So now I have your complete recipe.....Chopin vodka shaken with ice 100 times? It must be in the wrist motion

That will get you 90% of the way there.

I'm not trying to make fun of Carl.....I love him like a brother and bless his heart he does the best he can.....but he's so pretty I just had to do it.

So you're going to stick with martini as your drink's name :mellow:

I'm sure your drink is just fine but you will admit that several who judged your martini the best ever had never had one before :wacko: .....see post #1. 

But being the fine fellow I am you can wear the crown till the shake off next April :D

So you're going to stick with martini as your drink's name

Well, I've not mentioned it.  However, I noticed the missing something.  Generally, even the driest Martini lovers at least put a drop of Vermouth in with an eyedropper.  Great ice cold Vodka with olives (which I love), but hard to really call it a "Martini." 

Dave

• Like 1

I have had my buddy Carl's martinis a time or three. Being without any knowledge at all I had the opportunity to compare a potato(e) and grape variety last weekend at said event. I found the grape to have no alcohol burn in the throat but the grape could have been about 13% less fruity to be perfect. I think more A/B is in order and I know that the ice (crossover network) lends more taste to the product than some will admit. I am concerned that the glasses Carl used might have a smidgen more silica than proper and that may have skewed the final result. 

• Like 1

So you're going to stick with martini as your drink's name :mellow:

I'm sure your drink is just fine but you will admit that several who judged your martini the best ever had never had one before :wacko: .....see post #1. 

But being the fine fellow I am you can wear the crown till the shake off next April :D

Those that never had one before could very well have hated it as well.

Like I said previously, I make them the way I like them. I've done vermouth from a cap full down to a swirl. It's not my thing. I have a bottle of it that's been in the cabinet for a while. If for some reason you actually show up next year I'll bring it and give it to you. In the mean time hateas gonna hate!

As a side note I was discussing vodka with my friend from LA who owns half of The Vanguard Lounge in Vegas and he told me of doing a taste test with a wine and spirits rep at his bar.  As I recall the vodkas were Gray Goose, Ketel One, Absolut, Stoli, and Kirklands (Costco brand distilled by Gray Goose and double filtered).  Kirkland's won! 

Yes, but which Kirkland?  I have seen two of them at Costco, one a bit higher priced than the other.  I've tried the lesser expensive one, and wasn't all that impressed.....