Stanley Cup

jimjimbo

What a game! I had to watch on the DVR, but it kept me up. Very exciting and I can't believe the Pens didn't win. Jones was outstanding and he definitely carried the Sharks in the game. 

As to the officiating, I wish they would call penalties when they are so obvious. They miss too many calls. I have to think it is on purpose. 

I don't know, maybe I am biased. Personally I love the hockey fights, during the season I go to hockeyfights.com daily. It is pretty rare to see someone actually injured in a fight on the ice, injuries are much more common from cheap shots, hits from behind and stick infractions. Due in large part to these penalties listed, that seems to be where the fights start. I would much rather see a fist fight erupt from someone taking liberties on another player than allowing cheap shots to occur and go unpunished. Also, I would rather see players fight instead so someone swinging a stick and knocking someone's teeth out. I believe for the most part the players have a code, it's not very often you see a fighter go after a non fighter. Also when a fight breaks out it is rare to see it end in a way consistent with assault or battery.

As far as concussions go, you can get injured in any sport. I think the concussion lawsuits are really a money grab from players no longer able to compete at high levels, regardless of if they were concussed or not. To sue and look for hand outs is nothing new and many ex players are using this platform to cash in. I mean when a guy like Chris Nilan who holds the penalty minute record swings in to sure for millions due to the concussions he may have received thirty years ago as a fighter is pretty sad. It's not like he didn't know his bell got rung a few times. He was always proud of what he did and boasted for years that he would never have changed his game to avoid the risk of concussions yet somehow he is first in line for the big payoff now that this topic is widely accepted. I don't buy it

Edited by teaman

Both goalies in this final have proven their worth. Amazing that they are both extremely young and for the most part untested. I know Jones was a back up in L.A. but he didn't get many starts behind Quick, and Murray is standing on his head for the Pens. I love watching a good goalie dual.

• Like 1

Hockey is unique in that in the last two minutes of a one point lead, the losing team can actually stack the deck by adding another offensive player when they pull the goalie.  That is offset by the high reward/high risk of having the enemy simply lob the puck into the open net deciding the contest once and for all, which is how the Pens closed out game six.

Still, very exciting even for casual fans.

Congrats to Penguins and our own Tom K.

The hockey was exciting, especially without the silly and selfish fighting.

In case you haven't noticed, violence is a huge problem in our world right now. Orlando is just the latest tip of the iceberg. Yes hockey is a violent physical sport that will result in injuries and fights. That doesn't justify the NHL's acceptance, if not encouragement, of the silly pro wrestling style fights. How do you explain to children that fighting is not the answer when a major sport encourages it?

Contrast the NHL, to the NBA's suspension of Draymond a Green for taking a swipe at the the groin of James. Selfish flagrant acts in the NBA, NFL and even MLB have consequences. The officials don't stand by until someone pulls down the other's sweater and gives him a face washing. That's not even a real fight.

I love the speed, athleticism, physicality and even the violence of hockey. IMO, the game will become an adult major league sport only after it realizes that it doesn't need the dances, I mean fights, to attract a fan base away from WWE.

Before anyone comments, I love Draymond Green. He's a fellow Spartan after all, but enough already. Stop with the cheap shots to the groin. He deserves a suspension. He must remember he's not in the NHL, eh.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

I love the speed, athleticism, physicality and even the violence of hockey. IMO, the game will become an adult major league sport only after it realizes that it doesn't need the dances, I mean fights, to attract a fan base away from WWE.

He loves me, he loves me not, he loves me, he loves me not...You are trying to compare apples to oranges with the different sports.  Completely different athletes, speeds, playing surfaces, etc.  And, who said anything about attracting WWE fans?  Let's hope not.

If you don't like it, don't watch it.

If you don't like it, don't watch it.

Neil was making a social commentary, not telling anyone what to do.  Perfectly acceptable IMHO.

+++

Not that it matters, but I agree with his commentary about violence having no place in the in the NHL.  Fighting has no place in "sports" and should not be condoned by league officials of any sport at any level.

• Like 1

IMHO, unfortunately, "social commentary" creeps into threads where it's really not even relevant.

How about "Great game, really enjoyed it", or "what a fantastic performance by the goalie", or whatever, and leave it at that?

• Like 1