Shot Gorilla - ?What Sub-Moron designed.....

Karsoncookie

The barrier system to keep people out?

It seems the Gorilla side to keep them IN, I have no idea, but seems adequate.

But look at the "people" side, seeing as how a kid got in, not a Gorilla getting out.

VERY insufficient.

First, there's  a railing with widely spaced horizontal (apparently) cables.

Spacing most of us could get through, let alone a child.

EASILY and quickly.

Then, bushes, and like 15 feet later, a "railing" of sorts.

It is (said to be) 3feet high.

So far, so good.

But did you see the construction of it?????

A stacked stone wall with COUNTLESS "climbing" footholds

Ones that are more than sufficient even for an old man with Gout like me, let alone a spirited 5 yr old.

Over that wall, is a vertical (appears to be quite smooth and unscalable) "30 foot" drop to a moat, and the aforementioned Gorillas.

Put that together with distracted parents bitching abou twhatever at each other while not watching their kid properly,  a sprightly 5 yr old boy, and anyone should be able to see a problem.

The Sub - Morons and those who accepted their proposed design, better start looking for a very good Lawyer.    Lars

Responsible parents keep an eye on their kids. Freeways are dangerous too.

Kids should have to wear a lease with harness attached to their parents with a harness.

Keith

• Like 1

Agreed.  But safety designs should be as foolproof as human intelligence can design.  Thank God this designer wasn't in aircraft design.

Dave

It's almost a de facto argument that if a 5 yo child can get into the gorilla pit, it wasn't designed with enough safety features.

There is a reason we have the term "child proof."  This obviously wasn't.

The past two (city) Zoo's I have been to have had several sketchy containment setups with different large animals exhibits.  I probably never would have thought about it, but having a two year old that walks and runs very well had me on my toes. I can see fault from both sides.

Honestly though, Zoo are kind of cool for the kids, but a shame in reality. We shouldn't be hovering around these endangered animals in troves.  

I spent the first 3 weeks of this month on the gulf coast. During that time I saw numerous examples of irresponsible parenting, as above.

One day a young mom with 3 young kids was engaged with 2 of the children on the beach while the 3rd, probably 2 years old at most, was walking at the edge of the surf. He walked into the surf a few feet and was knocked down by a wave. I figured he drank about 2 gallons of salt water before mom even noticed him washing around in the surf. Child-proof that.

Another day I walked to the end of a long pier and talked to Big Jim and Gary from Wisconsin. They weren't catching anything but it was a beautiful day.

Walked out the same pier a few days later and noticed a Dad (late twenties) and his 2 young daughters fishing at the end of the pier. The oldest girl was probably 3 years old. The pier was around 20 feet above the surf. The girls were climbing on the horizontal rails of the pier. With their feet on the top horizontal rail the cap rail caught them about their waist. They were leaning over the cap rail looking straight down at the water. Most of their body weight was over the rail. Dad didn't notice even though they were right beside him. Re-design that.

There's an APP that's been around forever that ensures the safety of children. It's called 'Parenting'.

Keith

• Like 1

Kids should have to wear a lease with harness attached to their parents with a harness.

Keith

Silly comment.

When people go to a zoo, or whatever, they should be in a reasonably safe environment.

Inclusive of enough safety for at least, the far majority of "normalcy"

Including children, not necessarily including the relatively very small % of like.suicidal mentally ill for example.

Guarding against the likes of that would be (subjectively of course) prohibitive, and would lead to your suggestions.   Lars

This was NOT.

O, and BTW, my children never had bike helmets growing up.    Lars

T2K -  Do you know that even the most basic of building codes in the US (Don't get on me here if I'm like a year off or something) have prohibited for like 15 years or so, any deck railing that may be "climbable" (horizontal footholds) ????

And this is for like a backyard deck something like anything over 24 or 30 inches above adjacent grade level???

A fricking backyard, not even a fricking Gorilla cage.

And their stone wall TOTALLY ignores that concept.

And now, the primary "railing" with the (apparent) horizontal Frou Frou frickin Architect design (It looks way "cooler" than a industrial gauge chain link fence) Has, as it's primary fault, way toooooo wide member spacing, let alone ALSO readily climbable.

Hence, Sub -Moron designed and accepted.    Lars

Keith

Silly comment.

When people go to a zoo, or whatever, they should be in a reasonably safe environment.

Inclusive of enough safety for at least, the far majority of "normalcy"

Including children, not necessarily including the relatively very small % of like.suicidal mentally ill for example.

Guarding against the likes of that would be (subjectively of course) prohibitive, and would lead to your suggestions.   Lars

This was NOT.

O, and BTW, my children never had bike helmets growing up.    Lars

Thank you for sharing your brilliance. It appears that in this case that every person that had been near the gorilla habitat for the 17 years of the dead gorilla's life was afforded a safe environment. But in this exceptional case the kid entered the gorillas turf. The zoo could build 12 foot high concrete walls and paint pictures of the animals on the wall I guess but then then zoo would probably close because no one would come, preferring to look at the pictures on their zoo app. 

Have you ever noticed signs on one-way streets that say "Do Not Enter'?

Keith

• Like 2

T2K -  Do you know that even the most basic of building codes in the US (Don't get on me here if I'm like a year off or something) have prohibited for like 15 years or so, any deck railing that may be "climbable" (horizontal footholds) ????

And this is for like a backyard deck something like anything over 24 or 30 inches above adjacent grade level???

A fricking backyard, not even a fricking Gorilla cage.

And their stone wall TOTALLY ignores that concept.

And now, the primary "railing" with the (apparent) horizontal Frou Frou frickin Architect design (It looks way "cooler" than a industrial gauge chain link fence) Has, as it's primary fault, way toooooo wide member spacing, let alone ALSO readily climbable.

Hence, Sub -Moron designed and accepted.    Lars

There is no replacement for good parenting. As you have already noticed, even legislation cannot ensure our safety.

Keith

• Like 1

On top, the fact that the stone wall blocks some degrees of view of aforementioned Gorrillas, as compared to a (relatively at least) impermeable heavy duty chain link fence or similar.   

Now, sure, a chain link fence can be climbed by many (Lord knows not me), probably by some Seal Team Six guy, or Spidey,) Buit not 99.9% of the zoo visiting populace.

OR, energetic tiny kids with tiny shoes that fit the 2" or so holes, or some other .001%' er.

But, they did not have that AT ALL.

The total opposite, actually.    Lars