RF-7s with "Funny Money"

JoeDirt

i tried it once. Deb walked into the room and saw my Canary 300B amplifier. She says, that looks like it cost a lot more money than the amplifier you just had. I started to toss out some bullshit and made the mistake of making eye contact with her. I was like, "Yeah, I'm really sorry - can the kids eat dirt for a week or two?" She wasn't amused. She didn't really care about the purchase, what she cared about was being cut out of the loop. Best friends don't do that to each other.

• Like 1

Valid points guys but too much judgement. He shared his strategy which most have experienced and I appreciate and understand where hes coming from.

^ Robo, are you not making a judgement in your comment above ("too much judgement")?  And what is wrong about "judgement"?  Is it not the product of a person's maturity/experience/value-system?  Are we not to "judge", or perhaps simply come to conclusions about how to do things rightly?  Heaven help us--literally--if we fail to learn and act upon lessons and learning.

And further, most of what is expressed on this Forum is "judgement" in one form or another.  What that really is, of course, is our likes and dislikes, our innate inclinations, and our actual thinking.  And most of the time, the thoughts expressed are done so in response to questions/pleas for guidance.  Most of the responses are well-intentioned.

The fact is that the "judgmental" responses to Joe (mine included) are not intended to sound or be morally superior.  Those responses reflect difficult lessons learned from our own failures, and are an attempt to minimize or re-direct the likely negative outcome of an action that probably is not what ANYONE would actually advise another to do as the best course.  That is, to help.

And this post is intended to do that too.  To help.  My opinion is that being "judgmental" is a term that often (not in your specific case) has been expropriated by those who actually look to do something that usually is selfish in some way, or to be held unaccountable for their actions.  

I remember well the time, 49 years ago, when a couple of men took their time, and took a risk with their relationship (with me), to confront me and guide me.  Kind men, mature men, who cared enough about helping to right the situation they saw me in.  I thank God to this day for putting them there for me.

"Judgement" can be a wonderful and loving action, too.   :)

Jim your points are valid and make sense.  I understand where you're coming from and if you guys know each other well it makes a lot of sense.

We each have opinions and no doubt judge.  I feel that unless someone asks for an opinion that it can be dividing to share it sometimes, that is all.  

The fact is that the "judgmental" responses to Joe (mine included) are not intended to sound or be morally superior.  Those responses reflect difficult lessons learned from our own failures, and are an attempt to minimize or re-direct the likely negative outcome of an action that probably is not what ANYONE would actually advise another to do as the best course.  That is, to help.

I especially like this part. This forum HELPS people. And that will keep me here.

I didn't take any comments personally, just as help. I think we should all do the same.

As a follow up, the wife knows everything at this point. The cash, the speakers, the intent, she's good with it all. She realizes that I like what I like. And if it makes me happy, she's happy. And vice-versa.

I bought RF-7IIs - they are being shipped later this week and I am giddy with anticipation.

Thanks all for your input.

• Like 3

Joe, we don't know each other, but please know how delighted I am--for you and for your wife.  And the good thing you have done for your relationship!  Just last night I was watching 'The Intern', a movie starring Robert DeNiro.  One line I remember (closely, not exactly) is something like, "It is never wrong to do the right thing."

P.S.  I'll bet those speakers will sing especially sweetly now!

Edited by JiminSTL
  • Like 1

I especially like this part. This forum HELPS people. And that will keep me here.

I didn't take any comments personally, just as help. I think we should all do the same.

As a follow up, the wife knows everything at this point. The cash, the speakers, the intent, she's good with it all. She realizes that I like what I like. And if it makes me happy, she's happy. And vice-versa.

I bought RF-7IIs - they are being shipped later this week and I am giddy with anticipation.

Thanks all for your input.

Congrats…..now the waiting game. Hopefully the time will fly.

• Like 1

I apologize to Derrick, an honorable forum member, for jumping on him. Nevertheless, a very poor at least seemingly very disrespectful "joke".
I think he is confused... I heard one where the HUSBAND messes up and HE gets the black eyes.

Bruce

• Like 1

I apologize to Derrick, an honorable forum member, for jumping on him.

No need to apologize.  Yes, the joke was in poor taste intentionally.  Maybe I should have not post it and stayed quiet, always safer, lol. I did not like the way so many people jumped on that the OP was intentionally lying to his wife.  I read the first post an assumed a little lite humor by the OP.  I don't condone abusing anyone, man or woman.

Different couples handle financial matters different and what is right for one couple is not right for another.  My wife never ask how much I spend on speakers or other audio equipment.  The hobby does not get in the way of my other family financial obligations.  Money is a tool to be used to help others, family, friends and others.  Our hobby should only be a small part of things.

Edited by derrickdj1