Life

ZEUS121996

You are all talking about what is more important, an old person or a young person, living or dying.

When I was young the pool was set at 25, when I made 25 they raised it to 30. At 30 they figured out I'd outlive all of them. ( I think I now have 14 surgeries with at least 2 more to come)

I've had a great life, if I could change places with an 80 year old lady so she could finish her life, or a child so they could live a life, I would do it in a second. I've had a nice life, death is something that doesn't scare me at all. Everyone discussing which is more valuable, is missing it. 

For over 20 years I taught a group of kids from the CampOneStep program in Lake Geneva. Everyone should come and spend  day with these kids. Doctors and nurses who use their vacation time to be with these kids. Some of them have full time doctors and nurses because it's just a a matter of when. Kids I saw for a couple years were no longer there, cancer had taken them. Other kids showing up with scars all over the heads from the brain cancer, kids who I saw the year before missing limbs to stop the spread. Kids I grew close to knowing that the next year they might not be there and they weren't.

AND the kids with no chance of making it and now they are counselors. They come up and hug me, tell they love me and how much it meant to them to be treated as normal kids. If you want to be humbled and quit making a farce out of it, feel free to join me, usually it is in mid July, PM me if you are interested. AND have the balls to see so many kids who are crippled by this deadly disease. We might spend half the day with 50 of them and then serve lunch to 300 more kids. Maybe, it will make you reflect on what you have, or had and appreciate how your life has been special. When 300 kids sing and dance thanking you for spending such an insignificant part of your life trying to make their lives a  little better, MAYBE THEN YOU WILL GET IT

Mark

• Like 9

I'm not sure if death is the way to go. What am I going to do for a trillion years in the afterlife, drink beer? That would be boring to death---but there is no death there.

Edited by JJKIZAK

Agreed CEC, it takes special people for such work. My daughter in law works nursing in the cancer ward at Children's Mercy in KC, about 10 years now. She has just found another job, matter of fact her last day was yesterday, as the toll of seeing these kids day after day has finally taken a toll on her. I think it grew tougher on her coming home and seeing her perfectly healthy two year old being a normal, playful two year old.

• Like 1