What's wrong with this picture?

DizRotus

Reverse profiling?

As a 67 year old white man, I suspect wvu80 is on the right track. They did not see me as suspicious or dangerous. It still concerns me that they didn't even crack the cases.

Being old is not a vaccination against being crazy or dangerous, less likely perhaps, but not impossible.

When I drove the loud fast car in the avatar, I experienced what I would describe as reverse profiling. Many times I would see a police officer with a look on his or her face that said, "OK, it's an old fart." Driving that would have gotten a younger male pulled over was ignored.

Edited by DizRotus

Maybe our local high school is behind the times, or maybe our area seems safer and there isn't much of a terrorist threat here, but I can pick up my 15 year old daughter there without any body search, ID requirement, or any formal procedure. I just walk through the unlocked front doors, walk into the office, if she's there we leave, if she's not there yet I say I'm there to pick her up. 

This school doesn't have any armed patrol guards, sometimes I will see a local police officer's car there. We are about 25 miles outside of a large city, and it is MUCH safer out here. I know all that security goes on in the city, one school in Indianapolis has a 40 man police squad there. 

Gun safety is the topic.

NO POLITICS, NO RELIGION, NO RACE COMMENTS and all other Terms of Service that apply here.

First of all, sorry to all the forumites.  It was my post that slid into the religion realm, so I deleted that post. 

FYI they are words on a page, and it doesn't hurt my feelings in the least to delete or redact anything I've written, especially when I violated the rules.  I didn't mean to do that, but I did do that, and the warning was entirely appropriate.

+++

And not that it matters, gun safety was not the topic.  The topic dealt with the OP being allowed into a school by school officials, dropping off some band instruments, and his concerns about school security and the safety of his children.

I think my comments on the topic were OK, but if they weren't, let me know and I can delete them.

They are just words on a page.  B)

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Reverse profiling?

As a 67 year old white man, I suspect wvu80 is on the right track. They did not see me as suspicious or dangerous. It still concerns me that they didn't even crack the cases.

Being old is not a vaccination against being crazy or dangerous, less likely perhaps, but not impossible.

When I drove the loud fast car in the avatar, I experienced what I would describe as reverse profiling. Many times I would see a police officer with a look on his or her face that said, "OK, it's an old fart." Driving that would have gotten a younger male pulled over was ignored.

On certain rare occasions, I wish I was Eddie Van Halen.

From a recent Car and Driver interview: 

"C/D: What’s your most memorable drive?

EVH: That’s easy. Since I bought the V-8 R8, Audi contacted me and offered for us to go up to Infineon [sonoma Raceway] to test-drive the V-10 on the track. You know, just go crazy. So [my wife] Janie and I drove up in her Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG. It’s a long drive and we’re doing about 90, 95 in a 65, and I get pulled over and the guy writes me up for a ticket. I’m going, “The last thing I need is a speeding ticket for that much over the speed limit.” We get home and I get a letter from my office; the patrol guy who gave me the ticket, his captain voided it. He said, “You don’t give Eddie Van Halen a ticket,” and I had a letter to prove it. The letter came straight from the captain."

The whole interview is only one page long:  http://blog.caranddriver.com/runnin-with-the-devil-eddie-van-halen-shreds-tires-too/

• Like 1

On June 17, 2016 at 10:27 AM, dtel said:
Friendly warning: Gun safety is the topic.

Christy,

Did you intend the warning for the following thread?  To the best of my knowledge, the word "gun" was not used until your warning.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/164536-gun-conversation-we-should-have/ 

If so, the warning was not delivered.  If not, you scared wvu80 into apologizing for and deleting a post that I never saw.  

You do a great job.  Thank you for you dedication and efforts.  Amy would  be proud.

Friendly warning: Gun safety is the topic.

Christy,

Did you intend the warning for the following thread?  To the best of my knowledge, the word "gun" was not used in this thread until your warning.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/164536-gun-conversation-we-should-have/ 

If so, the warning was not delivered.  If not, you scared poor wvu80 into apologizing for and deleting a post that I never saw.  

You do a great job.  Thank you for your dedication and efforts.  Amy would  be proud.