Supplemental Insurance

A1UC

I'm going to be shopping for Supplemental Insurance , I was wondering what company would be good and the avg cost of something like this . My girlfriend and I are getting up there in age and feel this might be a good thing to look into . Any help would be great

55 minutes ago, A1UC said:

I'm going to be shopping for Supplemental Insurance , I was wondering what company would be good and the avg cost of something like this . My girlfriend and I are getting up there in age and feel this might be a good thing to look into . Any help would be great

Can't make a suggestion, but my friend's dad bought a supplemental policy which sounded good (covered more), but to his dismay, he found out that most of the doctors were not in the required network.  Keep an eye out for who's in the network.

• Like 1

Start with big ones like AARP, Humana, Aetna, United.  Some of these will offer you a combined (medicare plus supplemental) for a cheaper rate but be careful, some of your DOCS won't accept it.

I thought that you meant an umbrella policy, which you should have. 

I do not think that supplemental insurance is necessary if you are worried about the other 20%. Check you policy carefully as the out of pocket should be limited to about $10 to $15K. Not fun to pay but it will not bankrupt you (just don't buy gear for a week or two ;))

1 hour ago, A1UC said:

I'm 51 not close to Medicare , I'm looking for supplemental since out insurance only covers 80%  sorry should of made this more clear

Are you looking for worksite coverage like accident or Critical Illness similar to what AFLAC offers? I work in the Health Insurance field and know a few things about the different options.

[Tigerwood] said...  I do not think that supplemental insurance is necessary if you are worried about the other 20%. Check you policy carefully as the out of pocket should be limited to about $10 to $15K. Not fun to pay but it will not bankrupt you (just don't buy gear for a week or two ;)

You must make a lot more than I ever have if not buying gear would amount to that.  I'm lucky to be able spend 300 on gear a year. I get the sweats when the electric bill goes over 80 bucks.lol

But to the question.... I have AARP supp. on my Medicare and it works great but all together it cost 350 a month and no eye or dental on that guess I will die blind and toothless.... lol

Looking at Standard Life , for me and my girlfriend it would be $251.00 total per month  they would pay all co pay and deductibles and up to a million each a yr in coverage .

also you get 100k life insurance per and you can see any doctor .

I'm going to call today and ask our current insurance what the max out of pocket is  thanks for that tip never crossed my mind

3 hours ago, ricktate said:

But to the question.... I have AARP supp. on my Medicare and it works great but all together it cost 350 a month and no eye or dental on that guess I will die blind and toothless.... lol

Medicare will cover an eye exam if you have any kind of complaint which could be eye related.  So, for example, if you say that you get headaches when on the computer or reading, or see floaters (as we all do) which bother you, the exam will absolutely be covered (assuming the doc participates).  The only part which carries an extra fee, if you even need or want it, is the refraction for a new eyeglass prescription.  However, the fee for that is usually very low since, in most ophthalmology practices, it's done by a technician (who hopefully knows what he/she is doing!) and not by the doc.

Maynard

10 hours ago, ricktate said:

[Tigerwood] said...  I do not think that supplemental insurance is necessary if you are worried about the other 20%. Check you policy carefully as the out of pocket should be limited to about $10 to $15K. Not fun to pay but it will not bankrupt you (just don't buy gear for a week or two ;)

You must make a lot more than I ever have if not buying gear would amount to that.  I'm lucky to be able spend 300 on gear a year. I get the sweats when the electric bill goes over 80 bucks.lol

Not me, I do not buy gear anymore.  AUC1's rotation. 

On 8/10/2016 at 2:11 PM, A1UC said:

Looks like my out of pocket is $6850.00 and they 90% after I meet my $750.00 deductible not as bad as I thought .

But $6850.00 could buy some more gear :)

If it cost you $200 a month for supplemental insurance, that is $2400 per year.  Put the money in with savings and you will be ahead of the game in not too long. 

38 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

If it cost you $200 a month for supplemental insurance, that is $2400 per year.  Put the money in with savings and you will be ahead of the game in not too long. 

that's what I was thinking , but they pay all our co pays 35.00 a shot . So my gf sometimes goes 4x a month avg 2x so that's 140.00 or 70.00 min in co pay and if I go 1x that's  105.00 -175.00 in co pays a month . So now it don't look so bad . Anyways I'm still thinking which way to go , also our urgent care stinks so if we go in we go to the emergency room that's 50.00 co pay but that's rare unless I have another kidney stone attack