Bigger Better Belle

moray james

his name is Robert. with so many Belle builds and interest these days I thought this would be of interest. Big but powerful. The Ciare design is the way to build a doghouse/divider if you want the wave to integrate you need to bring the doghouse to the end of the horn and make the horn as long as possible.

scaled to 1.2:1 - there's still not much 1/4 wave path - rear chamber grows to ~100 liters = too large for sealed 15" speaker - put a couple of ports, use an 18 and it would be close to the old JBL 18" W-bin - It would be helpful for "Robert" to post the plan

(hornresp says 240 liter airspace for the scaled Belle - if I did it right)

KBXZQYH.gif

M151 in University Classic 1 Pi 1 watt  (hornresp says 400 liter airspace for the horn)

ZneP3il.jpg

I built a cross between a Belle and La Scala a long time ago using Frazier components.  Due to the shorter path of the horn, I used all the available volume of the box to be able to include a large surface area port that was quite long.  If you want any reasonable bass without supplementing with a sub, porting is a requirement to provide at least some low bass.

Robert's Belle was about the size of a Peavey FH1. I have written to Robert asking how he managed the low response. I agree with Peter so far as reflex loading the bass horn goes. The Ciare design (link above) is a very solid one to go by.

Comment from Robert on his Belle. " My Belles didn't go down to 34 hz; the corner horns did.  The Belles unloaded at about 45hz.  The horn was about 36" long and since it was operating into pi steradians, the mouth area could be quartered. (4pi steradians is a sphere.)  Below that point the system begins to act like a direct radiator.

Edited by moray james
additional info in form of comment

here's my FH1 outdoors  - I really prefer a Karlson K12 topped with K-tube to FH1 - of course the midhorn presentation is much different than a 12" cone in a cavity.  (If you use a little Karlson with a woofer - pick a Kappa12a - give it some real power - don't monkey with flea power)

Aqua trace = microphone laying on the ground.   Green trace = mic at cabinet center height and around 30 degrees off horizontal axis.

HpooFTV.jpg