What are you...

I have CT-120 in my La Scalas with type A crossover, large room, carpet, books, furniture, no special treatments.

Everything has always sounded best in this room. CT-120 sounds great with both SET and vintage solid state.

I think they sound clearer.

• Like 1

I'm currently nursing a pair of Frazier CAT 40's back to health with a blown tweeter. I paired them up with the NAD C390DD for our "bedroom system." Still have to find that ideal-sounding location / high pass filter sweet spot for these...and how to possibly integrate a horn subwoofer into our platform bed.

Been also tossing the idea around of pair of Klipsch RP160, RP150, or possibly even the Pioneer SP-EC73 driven by an SA-XR57 and a Rythmik Servo sub or BFM T18, for the guest bedroom.

Done tweaking the main system for a while. Just kickin' back with it, and enjoying the fruits of our labor in that regard. Can it do better? Of course. Could anyone else but me tell otherwise? Very unlikely.

As we know, this is all a work in progress. I have to tip my had on system 3. First a little background. I had the Sansui AUG99x...sold it, then bought it back. I had the MCM1900 coupled with the 160watt Onkyo M504 and it was getting it signal from the Sansui CA2000, thought it sounded great. Moved everything except for the 1900. I put the AUG99x with the 1900, didn't sound so great. Put an EQ in line and the magic was unmasked. 

My only problem now is skipping disc. At ~50 watts, from across the room and in a solid stack on a concrete floor, my Sony CD player is protesting.

>>> It's shocking how strong the center sound is and the gigantic speakers in the corners completely disappear in terms of sound.  It's only when you sit off-center can you finally hear sound coming directly from the speakers.

Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about.  Speakers disappear, sound stage appears.

• Like 1

I am just getting back into the game as this is the first year both my kids are at college.   I have taken over the kid cave (finished basement) and here is the set up I have assembled (so far):

McIntosh C28 pre-amp, just off a refresh at Audio Classics.

McIntosh MC/2105 power amp... it will leave for Audio Classic in November for a refresh.

The above two units are driving my KLF-20's that I bought restored/updated.  I love the sounds from these.

I just added a KLF-C7 center that I am driving with a Hafler 9130 amp (set up in mono), fed from the center channel output of the C28.

My audio sources are a very tired Harmon Kardon T-30 turntable and a Marantz CD6005 CD player. 

Overall I really like the set up for my space.   I completely agree with the comment above " Speakers disappear, sound stage appears".  That is exactly what happen when I picked up the KLF-C7.  It was like night and day.

That being said these are on my wish/tinker list:

A new turntable is not far off and very much needed, a think I have decided on the Music Hall MMF-5.3

I really want a pair of KLF30's...  If I can get my hands on some '30 I want to try switching out the C7 center with one of my KLF-20's.

I would eventually like to switch out the Hafler amp with a McIntosh MC-7100 amp to drive my center. 

Have you tried Bobs 4500 hz crossover mod? I did that to my Ks and I then sold my home made ALKs. The ALKs did not impress me that much and I needed some cash so off they went. If anyone has my ALKs my name and date built is on bottom of the oak base.

To be clear I did not use the ALKs in my K-horns but used them in Scala so maybe that's why I was not impressed. In my Scala now is all stock except for the Dayton caps. I even switched the 72 mid drivers from my Ks to the Scalas when I was redoing the old Ks and put the 80 Scala mid in the Ks.

The 44 year old drivers still sound good may rebuild them in future but that's a pretty big outlay of cash for me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 10:01 AM, jjptkd said:

A friend of mine was using a mid-line Yamaha Receiver for his Klipschorns a few years ago in a far less than ideal living room and it sounded like crap!

Not Khorns but similar problem,  using a Yamaha just as a pre-amp and it sounded blah, removed the Yamaha and used a DAC with a volume knob and the sound changed a lot. It was overall much better, anyone could easily hear the difference and I was not even using the amps on the Yamaha.

I will never use a HTR for 2 ch again, not even the pre-outs.   

I am done changing things out, just listening now, not saying if I run across better electronics I wouldn't try them if the price was great but not looking at all.