Audi a4 vs Volkswagen Jetta

The Dude

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

Not a lot of detail, but I like the price

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/5865524020.html

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

I can swing that, 

Found another for a little more, but it has a reman transmission.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/5864761080.html

Transmission issues will show up on these cars more when the car is cold....most of the time it  will be a "slip" on 1-2 or 3-4 up shift...... if you see the tach flare up on a up shift keep looking for another car.....there's no fixing them with a fluid change or some other miracle fluid....

Ya know Nick when I got my 2000 Honda Odyssey it had a blown trans. Got it from my customer for $500. I got my trans from the company that does them for Honda. I didn't get much change out of 3 grand.... I got the top tier warrenty for 100k and 5 years all parts and labor. 

That was about 6 years 80k ago and the trans is just starting to shudder on up shifts....not slipping but you can feel something going on....when this trans lets loose the van will be junked.

Make sure that rebuilt trans is working right and see if the warranty can be transferd.

MKP :-)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Both the 1K and the 2K Accords you referenced had non-working A/C.  I'm thinking $1K to get the A/C working again.

Maybe MKP can comment on that, and on price?

Yea Dave you are correct....it's nothing for me to whip up a $1000 A/C repair. If the compressor has come apart it'll trash the system. 90% of the time if the system won't kick on and it's due to no freeon in the system the compressor is leaking. If the compressor has not locked up and has not contaminated the system just replace the compressor and the dryer and it should be good to go.

You can buy a new compressor and dryer under $200....ya just gotta find someone that will suck down and recharge the system. I do not recomend the recharge kits that are sold at Walmart and parts stores. All these kits have leak stop in them....alot of shops won't work on systems that have had leakstop put in them....it'll trash the filters on a shops A/C machine. There are special filters that are made to filter this junk out.... imho leak stop is a last ditch effort....

and for parts for "do-it-yourself"  RockAuto is where it's at.... I don't use Rock for my customer base.

But I use them for some of my own junk.....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

Yea Dave you are correct....it's nothing for me to whip up a $1000 A/C repair. If the compressor has come apart it'll trash the system. 90% of the time if the system won't kick on and it's due to no freeon in the system the compressor is leaking. If the compressor has not locked up and has not contaminated the system just replace the compressor and the dryer and it should be good to go.

You can buy a new compressor and dryer under $200....ya just gotta find someone that will suck down and recharge the system. I do not recomend the recharge kits that are sold at Walmart and parts stores. All these kits have leak stop in them....alot of shops won't work on systems that have had leakstop put in them....it'll trash the filters on a shops A/C machine. There are special filters that are made to filter this junk out.... imho leak stop is a last ditch effort....

and for parts for "do-it-yourself"  RockAuto is where it's at.... I don't use Rock for my customer base.

But I use them for some of my own junk.....

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 4:17 PM, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

Accord: 98-02..... Good cars... but this was the start of Honda going through changes on how there cars were put together. You can start to see some GM engineering in the subframes of the cars. In some ways it made them easier to work on...... again the 4 cylinders very similar to earlier models. Started to see some oil consumpsion issues on some of these.

I have been seeing a lot of these in my price on CL.  Anything I should look at specifically?  What concerns should I have in  the 165,000 miles plus range?

Happy Thanksgiving.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Dude said:

have been seeing a lot of these in my price on CL.  Anything I should look at specifically?  What concerns should I have in  the 165,000 miles plus range?

Happy Thanksgiving.

MKP is the man. Meanwhile, having a service list for maintenance is always great. Knowing when the timing belt was changed along with related pulleys would give me some peace of mind. Do not know the recc. mileage for those models but if an interference engine, all important there Dude...:)

• Like 2

This last then maybe... When I would test drive a car at the auction, I would go where I could do figure fairly tight 8's which would test the CV joints/axles on both sides of car, being it will be front wheel drive. This let's me know how much to bid to replace joints. Can't have a customer coming back or breaking down somewhere for a job costing maybe $1-200 per side. Of course, people drive used cars everyday with bad cv joints for a bunch of miles. Listen for a clickety sound to check which side. Another one in the camp is the owners who like to time your coming to test listen/drive a car with higher mileage on the motor. They will crank the motor for a minute to shut up crank bearing, valves, etc. that can give themselves away easier on the first crank of the day before oil pressure is built.

Advanced Auto and others sell Freon cans with a semi-foolproof gauge to recharge A/C. If you already know all this, please disregard Dude...:blush2:

On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 7:01 PM, oldtimer said:

My dad once told me that any car will last forever---if you just keep fixing it.  It's funny but it's true.

Sounds like my Dad too. Of course he told me stories of him working on his 55' Olds 98 convertible with little more than sockets that snapped onto the ends of Allen wrenches in his parent's garage. ;)