Audi a4 vs Volkswagen Jetta

The Dude

Want to see what the opinions of the knowledgeable are.   I am looking for a commuter, I like the thought of 35-45 mpg with some of the Volkswagens. Plus I have heard that they are reliable as long as regular maintance has occurred.   Found some locally on CL for $2000-$2500.  But then came across an Audi A4 with an overhauled engine.  Haven't contacted the seller, figured main thing would be to find out who overhauled it and ask for documentation  he does have photos of the overhaul happening, but no way of knowing if that is the engine in this car.

At this point, anything has to be better than an 01 Jeep Cherokee. 

https://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/5884282563.html

Unless you are stuck on a German machine I'd shy from both for reliability and maintenance costs. Although the V-dub is made in Mexico I believe. For a commuter it's hard to beat one the Japanese brands. Although many of those are built right here in the USA. While I owned an Audi S4 and had no issues I got rid of it before I did. The engine was one of the sweetest V-8's you can imagine but also one of the most complicated built. German engineering and complexity at its finest. 

• Like 2

Unless you are stuck on a German machine I'd shy from both for reliability and maintenance costs. Although the V-dub is made in Mexico I believe. For a commuter it's hard to beat one the Japanese brands. Although many of those are built right here in the USA. While I owned an Audi S4 and had no issues I got rid of it before I did. The engine was one of the sweetest V-8's you can imagine but also one of the most complicated built. German engineering and complexity at its finest. 

Hondas and Toyotas are not off the table. But for the age and price range, i haven't found anything that isnt a turd (haven't looked real hard either).

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Hondas and Toyotas are not off the table. But for the age and price range, i haven't found anything that isnt a turd (haven't looked real hard either).

For a used commuter I would recommend a Toyota or a Honda.  Remember that when you buy a used vehicle you are buying unused miles.

Hondas can get up to 250,000 miles, parts are cheap and readily available, and even though they are expensive to buy on the used market, the resale value is high as well.  I had a Civic bought for 5K, my son ran the crap out of it, beat the crap out of it, and after 5 years we sold it for $2,000.  Can't beat that.

• Like 3

Want to see what the opinions of the knowledgeable are.   I am looking for a commuter, I like the thought of 35-45 mpg with some of the Volkswagens. Plus I have heard that they are reliable as long as regular maintance has occurred.   Found some locally on CL for $2000-$2500.  But then came across an Audi A4 with an overhauled engine.  Haven't contacted the seller, figured main thing would be to find out who overhauled it and ask for documentation  he does have photos of the overhaul happening, but no way of knowing if that is the engine in this car.

At this point, anything has to be better than an 01 Jeep Cherokee. 

https://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/5884282563.html

European cars are great, but once they start giving issues, you better throw that thing over a cliff.. i had a bad experience with Jetas, no experience with Audi, love the bimmers :)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

My friend had a VW Jetta.  He didn't keep it long.  It was around $600 just to replace the spark plugs.  Something is really goofy about that.

I had a nice car, a Nissan Altima.  You can NOT keep the check engine lights off for long, it was always something with that car.  The Altima had some goofy fuel injectors that went continuously bad, it was always recommended you replace them as a 6-pack.  $600 every time just to keep the check engine lights off.

Sold the Altima, went to a Toyota Rav4.

• Like 1

So Nick here is my 2 cents into the mix..... if your in the $2500 range then most likely no matter what make your looking at it's going to be a bit older and have some miles on it. 

I tell all my customers that a car is nothing more than a machine.....the older and the more miles on it the more it's going to cost to keep it going. That's just a simple fact no matter what make it is.

At the shop it's nothing for me to work on Honda's with well over 200k. The Accord has stood the test of time.... imho it's one of the best Honda has put out.....but you also got the Civics and the Acura Integra.... I'm gonna list a few that I think you need to look out for....

Accords: 86-89....these models are getting old, on the east coast they are about dried up. but these were some of the 1st Honda's that us Honda guys started see getting crazy mileage on them.

These models were the last with a cast iron block and aluminum heads. Great in there day but like I said there old....and unless you find one from a older person that got it new and drove it to church and the store on Sunday, pass on it. and if you do find one of these make sure it's a fuel injected one.

LXi model....pass on the LX and DX

Accord: 90-93..... great old cars...but again there getting old....Honda put a bunch of these out. Really good design...... imho these are easy to work on and parts are everywhere. Transmissions will let loose before the engine gives up. Timing belts every 100k. Front brake rotors are a PIA to replace it's a trapped rotor design.

Accord: 94-97...... again a really good design...just about the same drive train as the 90-93 Accords. These models also started with the 4 cylinder V-tech engines....good engines... Still have the same trapped front rotor set-up. These years were also offered with the 2.7 V-6. I don't like the V-6 ones. Just more crapp stuffed in the engine bay... Over all just a really well built car.

Accord: 98-02..... Good cars... but this was the start of Honda going through changes on how there cars were put together. You can start to see some GM engineering in the subframes of the cars. In some ways it made them easier to work on...... again the 4 cylinders very similar to earlier models. Started to see some oil consumpsion issues on some of these.

Accord: 03-07 This will be the 1st model that I'll say 4 or 6 cylinder. Both good engines. The 4 cylinders will now be a timimg chain set-up. This is basicly  the same engine that's used in the CRV's Acura TSX and RSX... not to many problems with these.... I've seen a few of the chains have stretched....do to lack of oil changes.

The 6 cylinders are good engines and the transmission are better than earlier 00, 01's and 02's ones. but the trans is still a weak link. 

Civic's.....there's a chitt load out there....I'm just gonna throw some stuff out there...

Stay away fom the old 1.5L 4speed most of these turds have dried up and rotted away....

96-00 1.6L .... good engines and transmissions both auto and 5 speed. My youngest daughter has a 00 Civic with 330k on it....original eng and trans....that car even amazes me. I started working on that car when it had around 75k on it. My customers sold it to me for500 in shop credit.....it had 307k on it when my daughter got it. 

Civic: 01-04..... good cars, but have seen a few head gasket failing on these.

Civic: 05- + ..... I don't really care for this model but I've seen so many get crazy milage on them. These are all timing chain engines.... 

Well I've dumped a good bit out here....If you are looking at a Honda or Acura just shoot me a pm and I'll give ya my 2 cents.

I'll leave you with my thoughts on the VW's and for the most part all the European cars. They don't come in my shop!! I dislike the engineering of them and most of my shop owner friends feel the same way. Also they seem to suffer with strange electrical gremlims. But on the other hand I know people that love em...

MKP :-)

• Like 2

Great post, MKP.  You sound like my mechanic Ron, aka the Honda Man.  He has taken care of the many Hondas in my family for over 30 years.  He talks a lot like you, including doing preventative maintenance on the timing chain (belt?). 

We have a great working relationship built on trust.  I tell him my philosophy on new vs used parts, if he finds something that needs fixing, fix it, and he's never let me down.  I never discuss price, he takes care of things and I pay him what he asks.  He is always more than fair.

I'll be real unhappy when Ron the Honda Guy retires.  They just don't make them like that anymore.

• Like 1

I checked the air in my tires today and found 2 specs of dirt on the Buick so I added air and knocked off the dirt. I couldn't remember the last time I cranked it so I cranked her up and put a few miles on the odometer. Back in the garage I noticed the odometer was up to 8,414 miles. Pretty high for 5 years this month.

buick.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Great post, MKP.  You sound like my mechanic Ron, aka the Honda Man.  He has taken care of the many Hondas in my family for over 30 years.  He talks a lot like you, including doing preventative maintenance on the timing chain (belt?). 

We have a great working relationship built on trust.  I tell him my philosophy on new vs used parts, if he finds something that needs fixing, fix it, and he's never let me down.  I never discuss price, he takes care of things and I pay him what he asks.  He is always more than fair.

I'll be real unhappy when Ron the Honda Guy retires.  They just don't make them like that anymore.

Thanks Dave....

imho I think it's importat to find a shop that specializes in the make of car you own......and to find someone that won't B.S. you..... There are a lot of thinks I know and a lot I don't..... I had a tow in a few weeks ago from another shop. The shop is a good shop but does mostly European cars....They had the car for two days and through the towl in.....I had it figured out and running/fixed in less than a hour...... was a loose/bad ground, I just knew where to look.

I have few customers that do alot of there own work.....I'll give them pointers and sell some parts and for the big jobs they can't handle we'll work out a "cash" price.

This cash helps my audio addiction.........

MKP :-)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Maybe if you got something besides a buick you would drive more?

I've got an economy vehicle that gets worse gas mileage and rides like a wagon. I drive the Buick on 3 or 4 trips a year, otherwise I'm afraid to drive too much because of all the drivers out there that are high on marijuana.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

Accord: 98-02..... Good cars... but this was the start of Honda going through changes on how there cars were put together. You can start to see some GM engineering in the subframes of the cars. In some ways it made them easier to work on...... again the 4 cylinders very similar to earlier models. Started to see some oil consumpsion issues on some of these.

Accord: 03-07 This will be the 1st model that I'll say 4 or 6 cylinder. Both good engines. The 4 cylinders will now be a timimg chain set-up.

Got them on my radar, thanks for the great tips.  Until she seen this post, my wife had a hard time believing I look for advice for other things on this forum. 

There was a recall or TSB on Volkswagens and Audis in the early 2000's.  Something to do with the suspension.  The local dealership couldn't keep up with the volume when it came to aligning them after the repair.  I had the opportunity to align most of them.  My favorite was the Audi TT, which was the first turbo charged car I had driven.  Since then I always wanted one, figured an A4 would be the closest I would get. 

• Like 1